Advice for Excited Admit

<p>Hello everyone,</p>

<p>First off I would like to thank all of you for your helpful stories and advice. Without CC I probably never would have known about the amazing scholarships and opportunities that the University of Alabama has to offer.</p>

<p>I received my official acceptance letter today, coincidentally, but I have known about my acceptance for about a week through MyBama. I am very excited. I visited the campus in June (my home state is CA) and I loved it. Everyone in the Honors College and other students were very welcoming and the campus seemed like a very fun place to be. </p>

<p>For a little background, I plan to study mathematics or computer science with the end goal of going to med school. In addition to UA, I am looking at Ivies and LACs that offer merit scholarships. </p>

<p>In my excitement, I have been telling many friends about the University of Alabama. Even in Los Angeles, many know alumni. However, I was surprised to hear that I should “not go to UA unless I want to join a sorority” and that a friend from church “went there because of the fraternity life.” </p>

<p>I don’t have anything against sororities, but I never thought of them as something that I particularly want to be involved in. I am more on the nerdy side and would prefer a late night political debate or TV show marathon to a party. I love football and school spirit, but I’m not really the partying type. I am hoping that the Honors College has more of this vibe, but I am writing this post to find out more information. Also, if anyone thinks that I just don’t know what a sorority is like (which is very possible) and actually thinks I would like joining one, please convince me.</p>

<p>^^^Please DON’T worry, there is absolutely no need to join a sorority. There are plenty of OOS students who do not join the greek system. These students are busy socially and challenged academically. The majority of students on campus are non-greek. Your college experience will not be impacted by not joining a sorority. Of course, the option is there if that is what you want to do. This was published in the Crimson White newspaper (campus paper) “In Fall 2011, 32 percent of the female population and 22 percent of the male population was greek. Twenty-nine percent of the entire student body was greek, totaling 7,221 members.” I don’t know what the current numbers are.</p>

<p>Congratulations!!! </p>

<p>Do not worry one bit about having to “go greek” just because you are out of state. A total of a little over 2100 incoming freshmen females just completed rush. That is a small percentage of the total incoming freshmen females. There are plenty of activities if you chose not to join a sorority. One of DD’s good friends did not and she has been involved in activities every night and appears to already have made a ton of friends, we are from Texas. DD has made several friends already from California, some have joined a sorority. </p>

<p>You will be just fine. Congrats and Roll Tide</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>My kids never had any desire to pledge and they were very happy at Bama. Most people at Bama are NOT Greek. Yes, some kids might choose Bama because they want to pledge, but that’s their decision.</p>

<p>Did you know that Bama has a Premed Computer Science track? I think it’s great for premed. </p>

<p>My son was a Chemical Eng’g premed at Bama and is now in med school. </p>

<p>Did you submit the scholarship app? </p>

<p>BTW…the ivies do NOT have merit scholarships. </p>

<p>You have amazing stats! And, you’ll be a NMF. Congrats.</p>

<p>2100 is a large percentage of the freshman females.</p>

<p>the approximate number of females in the freshman class is roughly 3200 (based on 50% girls in last years freshman class).</p>

<p>one does not need to join a sorority to have fun and a good social life … especially if you don’t WANT to be in a sorority. you will need to seek out other groups to find your place though because it seems like “everyone” is in a sorority at first.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your help. UA sounds like a great place to be. I have submitted the scholarship app but not the Honors College yet, but I will soon. I am also very intrigued by the CBHP. It sounds like an awesome opportunity.</p>

<p>Looking at 2012 numbers:</p>

<p>Incoming freshmen females - 3541
Estimated number of freshmen females pledging - 95 freshmen quota x 16 sororities = 1520
Estimated % of 2012 female freshmen pledging = 42.9%</p>

<p>While that is a very high percentage, if you aren’t interested in a sorority or having that type of college experience, I don’t think you’ll miss it. My D is very happy not being in a sorority (while I was very happy being in one). </p>

<p>By getting involved in areas you are interested in, you’ll meet friends. And frankly, you sound like someone my D would enjoy hanging out with. </p>

<p>I’m glad to see you are looking at the Computer-Based Honors Program!</p>