Advice for OOS Mom- Move-in and Orientation

<p>Since we will be flying down to move my son in, I was wondering if students or other parents have advice on what to bring/ship versus what to buy locally, and then where. We are flying in the morning of move-in, and my son is scheduled for the afternoon slot. We will have a rental car to get what we need. </p>

<p>Also, was wondering when it's time to go. Don't want to overstay our welcome, but want to attend the parent events.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Greenynj -</p>

<p>I’m not sure how to paste links, but if you look at the last couple of pages of the “U Miami Parents Thread,” you’ll find all of this information there (it was on page 5).</p>

<p>You will find lots of helpful information on this site…I will try to dig out some threads from last year that covered this in detail and post them here for you. </p>

<p>About when to leave, I think Saturday, right after the brunch with Dr. Shalala is a good (and popular) time to wrap up your trip. We ended up saying goodbye to our D the day before tho, because she was going to be tied up in some orientation activity on Saturday.</p>

<p>Thanks! I found the thread and there are some good suggestions. I have found some things on the Miami Parent site but have gotten lots of good advice throughout this process on CC and thought I would ask.</p>

<p>For others, here is the thread that VHFather spoke of:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1300155-u-miami-parents-thread.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1300155-u-miami-parents-thread.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Since we drove down, I can’t offer much advice on shipping vs. buying but many others have mentioned the Bed, Bath and Beyond option of buying locally and picking up in the Dadeland store. The Target in Dadeland is very convenient, but will sell out of popular items quickly, so you may want to make that stop a priority as soon as you arrive. </p>

<p>Rest assured that whatever your son needs, he will find a way to obtain, even after you have left. The students are very resourceful - although not always very frugal ;)</p>