Advice for Peddie new students for 2023-24

Thought I would start a thread for Peddie new students. Appreciate any thoughts (academics, course selections, placement, campus life, clubs, etc.) to get us started.

2 Likes

Current Peddie student here. Freshman Course selections are pretty straightforward but kind of limit you to either an Art or Computer Science elective. I would recommend freshman musical, I didn’t do it but its a great way to meet new people, unless you’re interested in Computer Science then I’d go with Programming 1. For math, once you get your placement, see if the summer homework is doable, if it’s impossible, drop it because you’d rather switch out early on then later in the year. They changed Freshman science so I have no knowledge on that really. For sports, if you don’t have any experience with a certain fall sport like Soccer or Football, I’d recommend picking something new like Field Hockey or Rowing. It’s only one term and you might fall in love with whatever you end up picking. I’m not a boarder but I know the quality of the freshman dorms depend on if you are a boy or girl. The Freshman girls dorm is pretty mid according to everybody, the rules are strict there. Sharp contrast to freshman boys dorms, both are good and relatively new. The supes aren’t strict there, you could probably get away with coming late to check in. For clubs, don’t try and start one as a freshman, just join some and have fun with it. Most clubs do fun stuff, so joining their mailing list is a good decision.

Try to talk to everyone during POCO, your friend group is definitely going to change later on from the people you first meet, so getting to know everyone is always helpful and fun. Go on as many weekend activities as you can, you wont have the time later on to do them. Take a lot of photos, go to Hightstown with your friends, fool around, freshman year is when you have the time for all that. Get to know some upperclassmen, they’re valuable resources and know a lot of Dos/Don’ts.

5 Likes

Nice advice! I would also add that the Cross Country and Track and Field teams are some of the most fun and supportive teams on campus, and if you’re looking for a sport for the fall, you should seriously consider cross country.

2 Likes