Advice needed. Please help. UCD or CAL?

<p>Hello,
I applied as a mechanical engineering student to both UC Davis and UC Berkeley and was addmitted in to both schools. I have also visited both campuses and I feel that they are irrelevant in my decision process. Basically the situation is that I know no one going to Cal, but I have numerous, good friends who are attending UC Davis next year. I would really like to have a good time, and I think that I will have a better experience at Davis. On the other hand I also realize that prestige wise, academically, and school rank etc… Berkeley obviously has the upper hand. So what would you guys do in my situation?
Thanks</p>

<p>Also, I failed to mention that Cal is a 2.5 hour drive from my home while Davis is barely even 45 minutes away.
Thanks again</p>

<p>I think environment is an important factor in choosing college. Yea, Berkeley is absolutely top notch when it comes to academics, but i have only heard negative things about the campus/students. Something about all they do is study and i know some friends (which i thought were very smart) stressing out because they simply cannot keep up. </p>

<p>UCD is nice. Its got a big campus (which can be good or bad), reputable academics, great social environment/town, and you can be around friends. Now im not saying that you cannot handle Berkeley, but if that is the case, a happy student from UCD beats out a sad and stressful student from Berkeley any day of the week. Remember, you only have 4 years in your life to experience college, and you want to make it something you will never forget.</p>

<p>Cal. </p>

<p>College is about experiencing new things and meeting new people. Don't worry, your friends at UCD will not abandon you.</p>

<p>What activities do you like to do outside of school?</p>

<p>Yeah, thats what I am really worried about. I just dont want to have four miserable years at Cal vs. a fun filled time at Davis.</p>

<p>"What activities do you like to do outside of school? " - Collegemom16</p>

<p>I like to do a host of things, and I feel that I will be able to do both at both schools, but I am interested in wrestling, if it fits in my schedule, and Davis has a division 1 team, while Cal does not have one.</p>

<p>goto Cal, live some. competition is pretty rough though. If you are in engineering here at Cal, unless you are Chinese and study 40+ hours a week, you will get owned every test, every time. so make sure you're up to the challenge brother.</p>

<p>Hi, Do you go to Berkelely? and will Davis drastically ruin my chances at a high paying engineering job?
Thanks Guys</p>

<p>"Kasha" is this you??</p>

<p>i think Cal...even if your friends are not going you can always meet new people. You should meet new people anyways. Its your education and future thats more important. Also, you got accepted to a engineering major at Cal which is reallly hard to get into. You should take advantage of that since not many students get admit with engineering majors. You will def have a good time at Cal</p>

<p>No I am not Kasha.</p>

<p>Are you planning on going to grad school?</p>

<p>Since you mention that you weren't able to decide by visiting the campuses, that means you really saw nothing that great about either one. If this is the case and you want to remain with your friends, go to Davis. The Berkeley prestige factor is nice, but it's not a catch-all or guarantee as far as jobs/grad school goes. You'll meet loads of new people at either college.</p>

<p>just pointing it out
if you are in Berkeley for engineering
i wish you good luck :) </p>

<p>the competition is intense plus it is deflated in terms of GPA</p>

<p>Have you spoken to the wrestling coach at UCD? I know that for a lot of people (my daughter among them) participating in a sport at the D-1 college level is a huge factor and a very important part of the college experience. Davis is a wonderful place for student athletes. On the other hand, I would not pick on the basis of where your friends are going. They are close enough to see from time to time and you will make new ones as well. Congratulations on getting in to both of these schools and good luck making your decision. Both are excellent choices.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses everyone.
Sorry I couldn't respond for a couple of days.
Well, I thought about it for a couple of days and I think I am most likely going to attend Davis next year. Berkeley, for me, seems that it would probaby mean studying and constantly being under pressure while also trying to make new friends. Also, I am not even sure that I want to do engineering anymore. Can you switch to another major, lets say as far out as biology from engineering?
Thanks</p>

<p>Switching out of engineering won't be a problem. As far as switching into a major just make sure the one you want isn't impacted. I suggest visiting the department and looking for their transfer policies.</p>

<p>Cal engineering, should reconsider.</p>

<p>There's no doubt that Berkeley comes with more pressure for undergraduates. Should you wish to change majors at Davis, it's done very easily, you'll just have to check with the specific department as collegemom said.</p>