Advice on raising SAT scores!

I’m a junior in high school with a 4.3 GPA, an intern at a general hospital, and my dream school is UMD (acceptance rate is 44% and average SAT score is 1400). I took the November SAT and was able to only score a 1200, expecting a 1300+. Are there any tips that could raise my SAT score?

1. Lose the dream school hope. There’s no such thing - all schools have wonderful opportunities and all have issues (bad food, profs, roommates, etc.).

Study, study, study.

So - first off - are you able to pinpoint your weaknesses - always best to start with those - and learn why you missed so that you can figure out how not to miss again.

I find 30 minutes a day in one area - just focus, focus, focus helps. Maybe one subject or area of subject one day and then another another day - and you have to be consistent, day after day.

Sometimes it might be - the version you had was tough that day - I mean, my kid on the ACT had a 24 on one section and then a 32 the next time on that section.

The other thing is - you may also consider the ACT.

But mainly practice I’d say - but one area at a time - not multiple - so you can really focus on an area.

The next day it’s maybe 30 minutes on a new area but 5-10 minutes on yesterdays - so you can make sure you retain it.

There’s also online tools, classes and other opportunities - if you can afford them. Some do better with formal instruction.

Good luck.

You’ll find a great school - UMD or otherwise.

3 Likes

S23 got 1240 first time after taking summer SAT prep course. Then he studied online and got 1360 second time. Then he studied online more and took all the practice tests and got 1440 the third try. According to S23, Khan Academy helped him more than the paid course.

2 Likes

College Panda math books were great! As precious posted said Khan academy- link up with your college board profile so you can work on areas you need specifically! Good luck!

1 Like

Try a free diagnostic ACT test from the ACT website, to see if you might be better suited to the ACT than the SAT. If you are, consider switching over to ACT prep instead.

1 Like