Advice on senior year plans for S24 (homeschooled, DE vs online APs)

I’m jealous. We had to pay full freight. Since “my” days (with my kids) they’ve lowered the cost for HS students (any type of school), but it’s certainly not free.

Admittedly, this was about 6 years ago, and the colleges all had a program in place for some high school, although not ours. It was fairly easy to accomplish, as long as one was persistent and kept asking nicely.

1 Like

At our school, if you take the DE through the HS (Gov school), it’s free. If you go through the CC, you have to pay and get the HS to sign off on it. When Older S was in private middle school, the principal had connections with a higher up at the CC who gave him a “scholarship” for his math class. She had a similar connection with the local uni. So those were free except for books. But when he took Intro to business on his own one summer, we had to pay full price for that, roughly $400 for 1 class plus the book.

Edit: You are also either a homeschool/private kid or a public school kid. You can’t just take 1 class at the public school. We ran into that with older S and his math as well. Public school wasn’t an option unless he was enrolled full time.

If you have free DE options in your area, I’d push on it. It’s free in our state, books too. Wide open to homeschoolers which we are, We are in a major metro but my kids have had CC DE teachers that are also adjunct at colleges mentioned on this board. Generally high quality classes for us and the price is right. I get this can vary by locale. I also think AP quality can vary depending on provider.

My oldest is a college senior that did 2 full years of DE. He’s graduating in the top 5% of graduating seniors at his big ten university this semester. It set him up well.

1 Like