Advice on Transfering as a Music Student-How to tell my professors I'm leaving

Hello! I am currently a sophomore music performance student. I am currently looking to transfer to a different college, as my current program is small and music-ed-based, and I have found that I increasingly feel like this college is not a good fit, both in the specific program and on a larger, university-wide scale. However, I am worried about asking my music professors, specifically my primary instrument instructor, for recommendations. While I am aware most professors will not care if I transfer, the music program is a lot smaller and more personal, and I am not sure how to navigate asking for recommendations, especially if I later end up staying due to financial reasons/rejection from transfer schools. As a whole, I do like and get along with these professors, so that would not be an issue, but I am worried about what asking would do long-term if I had to stay. Do any other music transfers have any advice, especially those who ended up not transferring? Thank you

Can you be honest with your applied teacher about this.

Are you hoping to transfer to another music performance college? This could be your bigger challenge.

1 Like

I think I could be honest with my applied teacher about this, as they happen to be very supportive, I suppose the issue is if I end up NOT transferring, which kind of leads to your second question.
I am hoping to transfer to another music performance college, I am aware this is very difficult, and I have some added hurdles (not to betray too much privacy, but I entered college as undecided and auditioned into the music program in the spring of my freshman year. I also have been playing for considerably less time on the instrument I am currently in my music program for then I have been playing music as a whole (I have played classically for 12 years, but my primary instrument I have only been playing for 4)). It is because I think actually being able to transfer is such a long shot that I am worried about asking for these recs, as I think there is a 50/50 chance that I might end up staying just due to a skill issue/money issue.

Professors are used to students leaving, usually for graduation but also due to finances, transferring or another reason. Also the professors can leave. It is a pretty common thing.

I think your professor can be a big asset if you are honest. I think your reason for wanting to leave (wanting performance over an educ focus) is a good one. Work with your professor to find a better fit for you.

4 Likes

They’ll understand. Just be perfectly honest about why you’re trying to leave, but at the same time, thank them graciously for the support they’ve given you thus far. Make clear that you’re seeking another kind of program, and the professors have nothing to do with it.

5 Likes

Great advice above. And I would add that it is ok to let your professor know that your transfer is not a sure thing but something you want to explore. Given that you say a transfer may not work out between the uncertainty of an acceptance and financial constraints, I would advise that you keep your door open with your current program/studio.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your professor. And know that professors generally have their student’s best interests in mind. Even if it means helping you find a different program that better suits your needs.

4 Likes