Advising Vent -- University Scholars

<p>Son had advising appt (engineering major) today. He has been doing e-advising but I strongly suggested he made in-person appt today for a few reasons, one of which is to find out how he applies for University Scholars. Advisor told him he can’t apply until he has at least 90 credit hours. From what I read on the website, he can apply now - and really should be talking to someone now so that he plans the rest of his semesters accordingly. Grrrr. So where does he go to talk to someone who can assist him in charting out the rest of his semesters correctly in order to maximize his scholarship benefits?</p>

<p>I’d probably e-mail the head of the department and ask the question.</p>

<p>Good idea - thanks. </p>

<p>I am trying to let (make) son take care of this all on his own. Of course he doesn’t believe me over his advisor (and why should he?). </p>

<p>Wish there was a UH class “Be Your Own Advocate”.</p>

<p>S was told last spring that he couldn’t apply until he had 90 credit hours too which should be after this semester. He is looking into talking to someone NOW so next semester he can be on track if he is accepted. Unfortunately “looking into talking to” and “talking to” are two different things.</p>

<p>These links says Phase I is second semester soph. year</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>[Graduate</a> Catalog: Section 4.4](<a href=“http://graduate.ua.edu/catalog/14300.html]Graduate”>http://graduate.ua.edu/catalog/14300.html)</p>

<p>Mine was also told he could apply after this semester (re: the 90 hours). The purpose of the appt. today was to make sure he’s taking the right courses next semester to be on this track. Son is ahead of the typical flow chart path. Several courses he’d take next on the flowchart are not offered in the spring, so he needed to be creative. Really wanted advice that he was choosing the best courses of what’s available.</p>

<p>My S was told to meet with the grad school advisor. I don’t have the name, but you may be able to find it on the website.</p>