Advising?

<p>How's the advising at Hampshire? Any pre-med advisors? Are they good? How many pre-meds apply from Hampshire? How do they apply with no letter grades? Can they request letter grades? TIA! :)</p>

<p>My daughter has a friend who is pre-med. He claims that over 90% of Hampshire pre-med students get into medical school. This sounded awfully doubtful to me, but apparently it is true, because admittance into the pre-med concentration is tightly-controlled by the faculty that serve as advisers to that group. There is a small cohort of pre-med students who are in turn advised by a small number of faculty. I don’t know how large the cohort is, but I would guess it numbers in the low tens.</p>

<p>Clearly, Hampshire students are successful in getting into Med School without having letter grades. Students cannot request letter grades - that is not part of the system. However, when you read the narrative evaluation by a professor, you can pretty much guess the letter grade: Glowing=A, Positive=B, Neutral=C, Negative=D, No eval=F. Also, keep in mind that pre-med students are going to take a significant number of classes at the other colleges in the 5-college consortium, so those students will have enough letter grades on their transcript to complement Hampshire’s narrative evals.</p>