AEM Professor Hubner to receive Zandman award

<p>AEM Professor Hubner will receive the national Zandman Award at the SEM (Socity of Experimental Mechanics) annual conference luncheon, June 5th: [Society</a> for Experimental Mechanics (SEM)](<a href=“http://www.sem.org/HON-Zandman.asp]Society”>http://www.sem.org/HON-Zandman.asp)
“The award honors individuals who have made significant contributions to the development of measurements or applications utilizing photoelastic coatings. The selection will be based upon the best paper published by SEM or any other recognized journal which publishes photoelastic coatings papers. Alternatively, a person who may not have published an outstanding paper, but has distinguished him or herself in other ways in the use of photoelastic coatings may also be nominated.”</p>

<p>This conference is being held in Lombard, IL, and my S just decided yesterday to take time off work to go and surprise Dr. Hubner, so he dropped in on the conference this morning to hear his paper being read (by a grad student working with him). The paper was: “Vibration Frequency Scaling of Spanwise Tensioned Membranes in Low Reynolds Number Flow” (whew!), written by Z. Zhang, L. Hopper, A. Wrist, J.P. Hubner, University of Alabama; and L. Ukeiley, University of Florida. Zhang and Ukeiley are fellow professors; Hopper and Wrist are Research Assistants at UA. S texted to say it was ‘very interesting’ and ‘pretty cool’.</p>

<p>My S describes Prof Hubner as one of the most passionate people he has come across in his aviation studies at UA. It was special that S was able to see him outside of UA, and surprise him to boot! May UA continue to open doors for all of these people and the light continue to shine on its engineering programs. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>Must have been a special day for your son as well. How great is that? ? !!!</p>

<p>BAMA, where what’s REAL seals the DEAL</p>

<p>(Tm TXA) lol</p>

<p>Congratulations to Professor Hubner. I bet he was excited to see one of his students in the audience. That was so nice of your son to visit.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing the story with us.</p>