Aerospace Class of 2027 Hangout

Is there a difference between a Presidential Scholarship and a Presidential Scholar? I thought the presidential scholarship was only $10k per year?

I think there are multiple supplemental scholarships tied to Presidential Scholarship that are offered by departments. DS received two additional supplemental scholarships tied to Presidential Scholarship.
Same thing happened at UMich - CoE offered him a yearly total of $25K (Engg Scholarship of Honor) and two other supplemental scholarships of each $3K + $3.6k bringing the cost down significantly.
These supplemental scholarships probably related to FASFA in addition to merit; but they clearly mentioned that maintaining primary scholarship is a requirement for continuation of these supplemental scholarships.

Got it! My son got the trusteeā€™s merit scholarship so I was confused. Congrats! Glad he had a good conversation with the Purdue student. My son would have chosen GT also if the money was the same but he is looking forward to Purdue. Love the school that loves you!

1 Like

Congratulations on Trustee Scholarship. I think choosing Purdue makes good sense.
Have you gone ahead with LLC and housing options?

Yeah got that done. Heā€™s doing the honors college. Itā€™s nice to know which dorm heā€™ll be in.

1 Like

Finally, Son paid deposit to Purdueā€¦ So, we are done with this process. He hasnā€™t withdrawn from GT (No aid at all - they said that they exhausted all the fundingā€¦) and UMich yet. Wants to hold them at hand just in case until 5/1.

Need to handle housing, LLC etc. EPICS seems to be the one to go.

3 Likes

Congrats on the decision! Boiler Up!

1 Like

Congrats!!! My son got his ā€œwelcome packageā€ yesterday from Purdue. It was pretty lame but it was fun to get actual mail from them!

1 Like

Hello everyone! I just joined the group. Please help us making the right choice. DS is high stat kid (senior) with SAT 1560, ACT 35, 12 APā€™s (8 more this year) and many clubs and extra-curriculars. We have to decide between Purdue (oos, full price about 50-55k per year) and CSULB (local, 8k w/ room and board) for aerospace engineering. We know that Purdue definitely has a better program compared with csu but still, is it worth to spend extra 180k during the 4 years for undergrad degree for extra internship/research opportunities? There are many good companies in LA area to look for internship opportunities as well if he decides to join CSULB. Also, with his AP credits and DUā€™s, he might be able to complete undergrad within 2.5-3 years. He is also willing to go for Masters degree later. Please share your advice. thank you!!

I just had a long conversation with ChatGPT about my sonā€™s choice between Purdue, UMich, and Georgia Tech.
It concluded choosing Purdue is smart thing to do.

Then your question to ChatGPT gives the following:

Which one to choose? Purdue with $50000/year or CSULA for $8000/year for aerospace engineering?

Choosing between Purdue University and CSULA for Aerospace Engineering depends on various factors, including your financial situation, academic goals, location preference, and career aspirations.

Purdue University is a well-respected institution with a strong reputation for aerospace engineering programs. The annual cost of attendance at Purdue is higher, but the school offers excellent resources, facilities, and a rigorous academic curriculum that can prepare you for a successful career in the aerospace industry. If you are seeking a high-quality education and have the financial resources to cover the cost of attendance, Purdue may be a good choice.

On the other hand, if you are seeking a more affordable option, CSULA could be a good choice. The annual cost of attendance at CSULA is significantly lower, but the program may not be as well-respected as Purdueā€™s. However, if you are a motivated student who is willing to put in the effort, you can still receive a quality education and prepare for a successful career in aerospace engineering.

Ultimately, it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons of each option and decide which school aligns best with your goals and circumstances. You should consider factors such as the location, class size, resources, faculty, and alumni network of each school and how they match your career aspirations.

1 Like

Where are you seeing the cost as $50K for Purdue? COA is $42K for OOS with all the fees. My D is graduating this year and most years the COA was closer to $38K. (She had an expensive dorm freshman year and was on full meal plan so it was closer to 42K but that was the only year).

The estimate on his portal is 48k but I have heard that it usually goes up when they actually assign the room. I am also adding a little bit for travel expenses to California twice a year at least.

We understand why purdue has maintained such high reputation over the years but the cost difference between the 2 options is huge. DS is very very determined to go for masters degree in AE as well. Should we try to save money during undergrad for that degree or let him have the best program at that cost. We are not very rich but have been saving for our kids education. Does the school name matter in the long run?

If I were to decide, Iā€™d invest in B.S. for a better school as it provides a solid foundation for future. For M.S., most of the top schools provide some sort of assistantship (RA/TA) especially if the student is from a school like Purdue. Also, look for outcome reports for Purdue vs. CSU for aerospaceā€¦ that can guide you where you get best bang for the your bucks.

All the best for your kid.

1 Like

CSULB is ABET accredited for aerospace and much cheaper than Purdue for you. If you are affluent, Purdue would be great. If you are not, you have a good accredited program near you that should have good outcomes. Good luck with the decision.

1 Like

Son finally committed to GT. Withdrew from Purdue (forfieted the enrollment deposit) as his heart continued to stay with GT.
He is now visibly a happy bee!

Events took another 180-degree turn as he appeared to bit reserved and constantly asking the question if he will do good at Purdue.
Well, it was no brainer that he wants to be at GT, but somehow made a decision that still could be changed.

1 Like

Sounds like your son made the right decision for him! Glad he is happy!

2 Likes

My son committed to GT for aero last night! It was a tough decision after seeing the amazing engineering facilities at our in-state school, UMD, which would have been another strong choice for aero. But he is ready to fly and fortunately the $$ part worked out for him to make his choice. Good luck to all who are still deciding (like my sonā€™s twin brother)!

1 Like

Congratulationsā€¦ Its better to send kids to where their heart is so that they perform better and enjoy their four yearsā€¦

yeah - i agree that its against the financial/common senseā€¦ but sending off your child to where his/her heart is worth that extra moneyā€¦

1 Like