Aerospace Engineering Texas A&M

Can somebody Tell me if getting into this programme it’s difficult?
The GPA I should have.
The SAT scores I should have.
I’m from Mexico, that can make the process harder?

@AstroTower

All engineering is pretty much the same for admissions.

GPA doesn’t matter (only class rank does).

Your SAT scores should be at least 30 composite

Yes, if you are from Mexico it is harder to get in, but the process of applying isn’t “harder”

@AstroTower - You don’t really apply to A&M AE. You will apply to A&M and supplement your application with additional documents required by the College of Engineering to apply for an engineering major. A&M decides on university admission, and then Engineering reviews the application for its admission decision. If you are admitted to Engineering, you will be a freshman general engineering major, with a preference for AE. Beginning I believe in your second semester, you will have an opportunity (not your final one) to apply to formally enter your major.

Engineering application: http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/apply-engineering
Entry to a major: https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major

I would take issue with @RMNiMiTz - Not all high schools rank, so GPA is still relevant. In this case, Admissions will review the high school’s rigor and your GPA to assign a class rank. Also, he/she referred to SAT scores of at least 30. I believe the reference should have been to the ACT.

Good luck to you! My son will be a senior this fall in AE. It seems like a few months ago that he was applying to TAMU.

Thank You, what GPA should I have for being a competitive candidate?

Sorry, I don’t know. I live in Phoenix, Arizona. My only connection to A&M is my son, who is a senior. I knew enough to know where to look to answer your last questions. The 1st link covered general admission requirements.

@Beaudreau

That is true, but most of the time the assigned rank is really just the test score (SAT/ACT) percentile.

Yep, I had just woken up, and was still a bit sleepy. But yea, the 30 should be an ACT, not an SAT score.

@AstroTower

Does your school rank or does it not rank? If it does rank, then your GPA doesn’t matter.

If your school does rank, then it must suck for you to go to ITESM (from one of your other threads).

@RMNiMiTz
I´m not acquainted with the US system so I don´t understand the technicality “rank”, so can you explain me that?
I can assume that the High Schools at US rank the GPA of their students. For instance if a student has a GPA of 3.8 he can be at the place 25 of 100 because another student has a GPA of 4.0 and this student it´s at place 24, I´m correct?

@AstroTower

Yes, that’s basically how it works. Does your school have a valedictorian or salutatorian?

@RMNiMiTz I think they offer the Valedictorian, but to be honest I’m not Shure.
What about McGill and UBC, it’s really hard to get in at the Mechanical Engineering Program?

@AstroTower In case you have not read it, here is a lot of information for international freshmen applicants. http://admissions.tamu.edu/international/freshman-engineering

You will need to have competitive stats to gain a spot into TAMU engineering. It is a very competitive major. If you are not an academic admit, there is little room for review admits and international admits, so the best application file you can put together, the better. This is your chance to market yourself personally, apart from your scores. Make the most of your essays. Be interesting and open. Be meaningful.

You will apply to Texas A&M and will fill out the additional information for the engineering major.
The engineering review process is also looking for your readiness for the major by considering your class rigor and your readiness in Calculus and Physics.
Are you a rising Sr? Have you taken the SAT or ACT yet?

@Thelma2 No I haven´t taken any SAT or ACT, I´m about to start my third semester at High School in August.
For being admitted to my High School I took a College Board Exam, the same exam that the persons that are about to start the University (My High School has also University ITESM) a few days ago I was checking a practice test of the SAT and they are pretty the same, obviously the SAT it´s on english and the exam I made was in Spanish.