aerospace or naval engineering

<p>Are there any current students out there that are in either of these 2 programs? If so, how is the workload and general feeling amongst the students. What kind of stats did you have to get in? Any general commnets would be appreciated. My child is a Va. resident and we are just starting to look. Obviously, VT is one place to ge the ball rolling.</p>

<p>VT doesn’t offer naval engineering… could you mean ocean engineering instead? They do have a huge engineering department which seems to be quite well regarded. Stats do need to be higher to be accepted into the College of Engineering. You can get more info on that by looking at the web site [College</a> of Engineering | Undergraduate Admissions | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.admiss.vt.edu/majors/coe.php]College”>http://www.admiss.vt.edu/majors/coe.php). I think in general, it is a numbers-driven school, and they look for GPAs of 3.7 unweighted and SATs of around 1400/1600. Someone will correct me if that is off. And any ECs that correspond to your interest, such as Math teams, Science awards, etc always play up your strengths.</p>

<p>Some semesters are harder than others in engineering at least, mostly due to the “weed out” intro courses. And you’ll definitely need to be very strong in math.</p>

<p>Sorry for the typo, I meant ocean engineering. Thanks for the info onthe stats. I know it isn’t easy to get accepted into tech’s program from the get go.</p>

<p>Aerospace/ocean engineering is pretty hard, even as engineering majors go. Not quite as hard as ESM in my opinion, but still tough. That said they do get the cool federal government jobs making planes and stuff. From my limited experience with them it seems like a disproportionate number of them are in the Corps, but I can’t say for sure. </p>

<p>He won’t be applying to the Ocean/Aero program, he’ll just be applying to the college of engineering since all freshmen are in General Engineering, so if you find any stats for admitted students in engineering they’re relevant. If he’s from NoVa he’ll have to have higher stats than normal to get in.</p>

<p>idk if anyone else mentioned this above because im lazy, but its extremely easy to get a double major in aerospace and ocean. supposedly like half the kids in both programs end up doubling, its only a couple extra classes</p>

<p>There is a certain amount of overlap in classes that help make this easier. Anytime a course can cover more than one requirement is gooood :)</p>