Affirmative Action/URM

<p>I hate to sound ignorant but what are they exactly?!</p>

<p>CC’s definition of AA and URMs: OMAGAWD GUISE ALL THESE MINORITOES JUS GET iN2 HARVARD WIF LIEK 13 ACT & 2.8 GPAsssss UNFAIR UGH.</p>

<p>Actual definition: AA is a simple policy that takes into account race with regard to underrepresented minorities in the college admissions process. It is not the sole reason for admission, it is a simple boost. That’s all. Also, URM stands for underrepresented minority.</p>

<p>@alexissss</p>

<p>Oh, okay! Thanks I see. So, some people on here see it as, we’re not smart enough to get into top colleges without AA?</p>

<p>This is unfortunately true.</p>

<p>Although what alexissss stated is true, don’t let that deter you.</p>

<p>Here is some cool stuff I found on the MIT blogs that’s basically sums the reality of AA and being a URM.</p>

<ol>
<li>DO NOT EVER BELIEVE THAT IF YOU ARE A STUDENT OF COLOR THAT YOU WILL BE ADMITTED SOLELY BECAUSE OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.</li>
<li>If you are not a student of color don’t fall into the trap of thinking you won’t be admitted because of Affirmative Action. If you are admitted, it will be because of merit. If not, it wasn’t because someone else took your spot.</li>
</ol>

<p>Look up “I’ve Got 99 Problems…Admissions Is Not One” for Mr. Nance’s full list.</p>

<p>=]</p>

<p>Totally looking that up. ^</p>

<p>@SpaceDuck</p>

<p>Okay, I will look it up. Thank you. With me, my top school is Notre Dame and I’m applying there next year. I just feel like I don’t have what it takes to get in. It is predominantly white and I will be a minority if I do get in. It’s like 3% black over there</p>

<p>I’m black, applying to harvard, cornell, and UPenn for a reach. Definitely nervous about the decision with or without affirmative action. My scores and grades are below average but I’ve stuck with some extra curricular a that I really love and have succeeded in them. Who knows how things will turn out</p>

<p>Don’t let your skin color phase you from applying. You can do it.</p>

<p>You have everything that is needed to get in. The final step? Letting it all show in your application.</p>

<p>If you are accepted there (we’ll know in a years time), be happy. Celebrate. Don’t let anyone take your achievement away for, especially on the basis on AA/skin color. You got in because they felt you belonged their, not because your black for the sake of diversity. </p>

<p>At the same time, and this really goes for everyone who gets in, be humble about your acceptance. You haven’t changed ever night to a person who dwarfs others who didn’t get in. You’re the same guy/girl, and you ought to act so. Being a braggart does not do you a favor, plus it makes your school look bad.</p>

<p>Don’t let it get to your head in this sense, not to appease those who may think your acceptance is due to affirm. action, but because it’s not right to brag about college acceptance in any manner.</p>

<p>Apply. Don’t let skin color or anything else influence your chance of applying.</p>

<p>@TreiTheTruth</p>

<p>Good luck love! You’ll be fine. Same here with ND, I plan on applying there Cornell and Brown as my reach schools. I will be a 1st generation in my family going to college. Both my parents came from Africa and the highest level of education they got was high school. So I’m kind of being looked up to by my siblings and cousins from afar. I hope not to disappoint them.</p>

<p>That checklist was perfect, lol.</p>

<p>And about profanity…I just submitted my UChi app and the essay had the b and n words in it.
Uh-oh. T_T</p>

<p>I just read that check list and it was really funny and helpful! It definitely put me in a good mood from all this college process stuff. lol :-)</p>

<p>The upside to AA is that your skin color or background aren’t used to keep you out like it used to be. The negative is that some ignorant people will think that is the only reason you got in.</p>

<p>Live your life, ignore the idiots.</p>

<p>@Madabouttx</p>

<p>Thanks, you’re absolutely correct. We’re all just as smart as the person sitting next to us.</p>

<p>Hopefully AA helps me get into the University of Maryland and University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, my two biggest reaches</p>

<p>@FutureDoctor31</p>

<p>Now that I think of it. I feel like if I do get into Notre Dame, it’ll be because of AA/URM due to the very low percentage of African Americans</p>

<p>Aw you shouldn’t think like that. :(</p>

<p>If I get into any of my reaches, it’s because I was qualified and the admissions officers saw something in me.</p>

<p>@TinnyT</p>

<p>Lol, aw thank you! I guess I shouldn’t feel that way</p>

<p>Wouldn’t be applying to half of the schools that I did if I weren’t black tbr.</p>

<p>For me, it wasn’t about being black or not. We all know we have potential to succeed at the top level, we just need to show admissions people that potential. Once we get in, the same work will be set in front of everyone.</p>