Affirmative Action/URM

<p>Thank you T2, people annoy me with the spots thing.</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T589 using CC</p>

<p>YW buttafly: If you read carefully the essay writer’s description of the Category Admissions, you understand that institutional set asides are a meta decision – and have very little to do with the individual students involved. For the very selective colleges, the MOST disadvantaged are the International applicants. On the whole, I would imagine they likely have one of the highest SAT/ACT averages of any sub group. Yet they face the worst fin aid awards and worst accept rates.</p>

<p>Where are the people raising a fuss over the low number of super qualified kids from China, India or Korea on campus who face so much “reverse discrimination”??? </p>

<p>Is anyone saying: “Why are they recruiting that basketball center! He ‘took’ the spot of that Russian computer whiz! I’m outraged!”?</p>

<p>Nope. Instead we hear only crickets… Because to argue this “injustice”, their entire anti-AA argument falls flat.</p>

<p>AA is for gender too right?</p>

<p>AA actually hurts women applicants in most circumstances. There are many more women applicants than men. Thus if a school looks to admit 50-50, then the accept rate for women is less than for men.</p>

<p>However, in some programs where women are traditionally underrepresented (think Engineering or CompSci), women may get a boost.</p>

<p>Conversely, in some programs where men are traditionally underrepresented (think nursing or male black math/sci teachers), men may get a boost.</p>

<p>I really am not liking either side of the AA argument. I don’t think either way is truly fair. Some people will get hurt one way or the other. </p>

<p>The really, really true truth of admissions that is, has always been and always will be the case is that college admissions is a discriminatory process. </p>

<p>Every admissions committee at every school is making choices on some basis preferring one applicant over another.</p>

<p>And if a school accepted 100% of its applicants, most of us would discriminate against that school for not being discriminatory enough in who they admit.</p>

<p>This is the real reason the whole argument of AA vs merit or anything else in college admissions will never be a settled argument.</p>