Affirmative Action/URM

<p>TreiTheTruth preach it man</p>

<p>Awilo, you’re not going to be accepted due to the sake of diversity.</p>

<p>You’ll be accepted because you can contribute something to the community of ND.</p>

<p>You’re skin color contributes nothing, it is your personality that reveals everything. You can do it!</p>

<p>I’m ambivalent about AA, but I’m glad to have the boost. </p>

<p>I will do whatever it takes to ensure that the investments that colleges make for whatever reason by accepting me are not done in vain.</p>

<p>Is this a negative consequence of AA? Being denied the feeling of earning your way vs having it handed to you?</p>

<p>I know it is. Ive been around for a while and personally benefited from an AA program that made me over-qualify for my title with all the hoops I had to jump through, yet a few knuckleheads still claimed I had it made. At least I knew that I more than earned my title regardless of what anyone thought.</p>

<p>Admissions seems different. You get a 2100 SAT, 3.98 GPA, many hours of community service, a side job, overcome negative peer pressure, etc. and still aren’t confident that anything more than skin color is reason you were admitted.</p>

<p>Context does matter. Is a first gen applicant at an advantage over a fifth gen applicant? Absolutely not? I can guarantee that my kids got far more and better guidance from me than I got. Socioeconomics makes a huge difference. Kids from money have opportunities to get tutors, better schools, better teachers and counselors, summer opportunities and even better and more volunteer and community service opportunities. I know a girl who gets tons of hours volunteering at the hospital where her father is a prominent physician. I don’t begrudge kids in this position anything. On the flip side, if a kid in this situation gets a 2200 on the SAT vs another without all the opportunities who gets a 2000, I’m not very surprised.</p>

<p>The fact that schools look at context matters. It means that, if admitted, you belong, you measure up. It’s not a pure stats game which advantages kids with resources in any environment.</p>

<p>A few weeks back when I was going through the college interview process, both interviewers from both schools blatantly expressed to me that it’s very obvious to the AdComs when someone applies to their school because they believe that their “hook”, be it legacy, URM, First Gen, etc will overshadow their shortcomings, and are quick to throw those in the pile. </p>

<p>I did get a bit offended because of their insinuations, but they said it was something that many people had misconceptions about. </p>

<p>Ever african American that’s attending or graduated from a prestigious university/LAC has earned it, respectively. Prove that you can handle the workload, and you’re more than just your grades/scores, but most importantly, more than your color. If not, you’re just affirming speculations that African Americans rely solely on entitlement and have to be handed everything.</p>

<p>OMG Which pile?</p>

<p>Did they mention how it’s “obvious”?</p>

<p>It’s obvious to the AdComs if the overall theme of your application is centered around whatever your “hook” is. “Woe is me I’m black/Hispanic and often discriminated against” and “I must carry on the tradition of my family’s representation at this school” are obvious no’s that are sent to the reject pile. (Her words not mine!) They’d like to know whether or not the experiences and opportunities that you’ve encountered in your life could add flavor and uniqueness to the Student Body. </p>

<p>The Chicago man was a tad harsher, and went on this spiel about how the University could sniff out entitlement… yada yada…(a tad rude) but gave me this example: Applicant X has a 3.5 at a fairly competitive school, 1800-1900 SAT range, started his own band that performs Disco music to people in nursing homes. Oh and he’s black. But applicant Y has a 3.8, 1900-2000 SAT range, and plays on a tennis team that offers free lessons to underprivileged youth. Let Applicant Y be either black as well. This guy, Mr. Y, is who’d they prefer to see on their campus. Both are interesting, one can just handle the work better…</p>

<p>Don’t know how I feel about that example though. I have a feeling it’s not that cut and dry, but hey I don’t work for admissions so I can’t obtain evidence to either prove/disprove his example.</p>

<p>I see where you all are coming from. It’s a tough/misunderstanding world we live in. Like I said before, I believe that I can just as successful as my white neighbor can be.</p>

<p>@lady
Wow! Thank you for the insight. I can only hope my app doesn’t come across that way, lol.</p>

<p>@alexissss You seem like a multi-faceted individual so I wouldn’t worry!</p>

<p>@Awilo with that mindset, you can achieve anything!</p>

<p>Aw, thank you! :3</p>

<p>@lady</p>

<p>Thank you! Everyone should have that mindset</p>

<p>I know that a lot of people don’t like AA but I think it is a really good thing. So what if I got into the university that I applied to because I’m black. I still got in. I understand that people want to know that they got in because of their stats but I know for a fact that I didn’t get in because of mine. They are too low. If affirmative action wasn’t around then I don’t think colleges would be very diverse (not saying that a lot of them are now but it really does help). And it makes me really mad when people that are not URM talk about how unfair it is. There aren’t a lot of URM that get at least a 2000 SAT score and a 4.0 GPA. In fact I don’t know any black person people that has a higher GPA than me or any Latin Americans that actually applied to colleges. I think AA should be kept around until the amount of URM that go to college and graduate significantly increases. But that’s just me ranting…</p>

<p>What a load of ■■■■■ posts!!!</p>

<p>@Lauren,</p>

<p>I agree that AA is important. I don’t believe that race is the only reason you’re at your school. When you look at stats of URM acceptances, most people look at the lower trend in scores for URMs vs Whites/Asians. Nobody looks at URM acceptances vs URM rejections and deferrals and wait listed. The scores are fluctuate up and down. If only AA was in play, why not pick the URMs with all the highest stats? </p>

<p>My D has a 3.98 UW/5.34 W GPA and a 2250 SAT. There are few URMs making the highest stats and many social reasons why but they are out there and it can be done. AA ensures hat color is no longer a disadvantage like it was for hundreds of years. AA is still necessary but destined to end soon.</p>

<p>Not really understanding the hostility that’s been established on this thread. if you believe that the sole reason you were accepted is because you’re black…great. But some people take pride in knowing that they show true potential and have accomplished enough to be recognized and accepted DESPITE their color. That’s where the argument is. </p>

<p>Truth is, more and more black students are applying to colleges, many to top-tier universities in fact. Even if AA is ruled out, these colleges won’t budge because they will find a way to make sure that they keep racial diversity on their campuses. They’ve made it loud and clear.</p>

<p>I go to a school where my SAT score is the 5th highest…now people may say my stats are too low to seem qualified, but I haul 20-28 hours at an Italian restaurant each week, along with other ECs. Yes, I got a boost because I’m black. But after speaking directly with my regional admissions director, I can assure you it was NOT the only reason they decided to accept me.</p>

<p>There is alot of Trool crap on this thread . There are many Black students who "earn " their way into college. They would have been accepted no matter their color.It’s too bad that many are looked down upon as AA admits.</p>

<p>What do you guys keep referring to as ■■■■■ posts? Seriously.</p>

<p>If you read some of the nonsensical posts you’ll know. If you don’t see it than WOW!!!</p>

<p>I personally don’t believe in AA. Number one, it reverse discriminates against the majority. If America is trying to ascertain a discrimination-free nation, then AA is a roadblock that must be lifted. Secondly, it’s a form of entitlement to minorities. We don’t have to work as hard to get certain things in society. For example, college admissions. And finally, it’s obsolete. This is the 21st century and racial discrimination is significantly down from when it was at its peak in the 1960’s. I know I said I hope AA will help me into Maryland and UIUC, but it’s only because I’m extremely desperate. I believe that race should be kept off the application and then asked about once everyone in the class is admitted. Now that’s a great way to ensure that race is kept out of admissions!</p>

<p>And P.S. I’m black myself, so if anyone tries to accuse me of being a different race, then you’re wrong.</p>

<p>It’s definitely not obsolete, since race issues are indeed very real.</p>

<p>Many people harbor a lot of very unflattering stereotypes about black people that going to a nearly all-white/asian college probably wouldn’t really help. Diversity remains a legitimate educational interest for colleges to preserve in their classes.</p>

<p>It isn’t really a form of entitlement because it’s considering the undergoing life as an academically successful minority as a source of merit, i.e., an achievement, thereby making the edge a reward proportionate to its rarity.</p>

<p>And it doesn’t reverse discrimination against anyone, as the intent of the policy is not to reduce the enrollment of other groups. </p>

<p>I just don’t like AA because it’s a blanket boost for all blacks and I think that some have more difficult times with their backgrounds than others. Just having dark skin shouldn’t mean anything; the kid should have the experiences that make being African American a source of diversity.</p>