Affirmative Action/URM

<p>@rebel11 if your referring to me as a ■■■■■ then you are wrong. I was not try to stir the pot I was being dead serious with everything I said. I wasn’t saying that being black was the only reason that I got accepted but I know that it played it a part. Other than that I’m not sure why I sound like a ■■■■■.</p>

<p>For the many Black & Hispanic students who get into the school of their choice on the merits the AA stigma is terribly insulting.</p>

<p>What do you know about the stigma, rebel?</p>

<p>@rebel And thats your opinion. And I have mine which is different than yours. Sorry that you think that I am trolling because I have a different opinion than you.</p>

<p>My only gripe with AA is that it gives blacks a boost who come from well off families and who frankly don’t need it. </p>

<p>Also, I don’t see how it fosters a sense of entitlement. Honestly, I’d be overjoyed to gain entry into just one of the schools I’ve applied to. I do not expect to be accepted solely upon my race. That’s asinine. </p>

<p>Folks will always assume negative things about blacks who get into top schools. Even if AA were done away with, it’s my belief these feelings will remain. Especially on CC you don’t see others giving legacies and athletes as much flack as they give minorities. No one whines about the fact that Jewish people make up 20%+ of elite schools whilst comprising 2% of the pop. No. Just blacks are seen as having an easy way in. If this were the case I’d get into EVERY school I’m applying to. But I won’t. So yeah.</p>

<p>As for me, whenever I see a WASP dude at a top school, I always get thoughts of privilege and complacency.</p>

<p>Just a different perspective, I guess. :/</p>

<p>What does WASP stand for?</p>

<p>Philo. The same thing any reasonably aware person does.You don’t have to be in a group to be aware of their situation.</p>

<p>I dunno. I think WASP might actually be part of the stereotype, itself. Replace it with “non-minorities” and add WASP to the things I have thoughts of.</p>

<p>Yeah.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So you surmised.</p>

<p>WASP </p>

<p>1) stands for White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.
2) people who usually come from privileged background, typically in the New England area
3) abbreviation for Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, and Pomona (the top four Liberal Arts Colleges in the nation. Strangely, those colleges are full of WASPs themselves) </p>

<p>(from the Urban Dictionary)</p>

<p>Ah, yes.
I usually don’t think of them as hard workers tbh.</p>

<p>Hey Philo, What the heck are you talking about.</p>

<p><em>sigh</em></p>

<p>Wish I could go back to Africa.</p>

<p>That’s right. I’m callin’ you a surmiser, rebel. </p>

<p>Your proposition is soo unfounded that the Geico gecko couldn’t stand on it without first purchasing insurance.</p>

<p>@alexisss what country are you from?</p>

<p>Hey Philo, For your sake you better not come off so smug on your college applications. Adcoms can smell it from a mile away.Good Luck!!</p>

<p>Surmiser! Surmiser! Epistemological miser!</p>

<p>I was born here.
Like, I’m a legit African American, slave roots and all. When I say “go back” I’m more referring to my ancestors, lol.</p>

<p>@alexisss, you presume that well off blacks don’t deserve to benefit from affirmative action, but I wonder if that is because you think they don’t suffer similar discrimination? Those at the top still experience discrimination, it just takes on different forms. Often they had to fight that much harder to get to the top, to become “well off.” </p>

<p>What do you consider well off? If you’re talking $500,000 family income, they’re probably not benefiting as much from affirmative action as they are from their income level. If you’re talking about half that, there is still plenty of discrimination going on. A little bit lower, say $100,000 income, and the experience of discrimination might actually be greater than for those in the $50,000 range. My daughters attend a school where the number of black students isn’t considered statistically significant - When reports come out regarding state testing, there are not enough black students in any grade town-wide for statistics to be reported for them as a subgroup - out of 521 8th graders last year, there were only 11 who were not white, asian or hispanic (and in most grades, there are also not enough asians to classify). These black students do not face the same types of discrimination as those living in the cities, but they often face discrimination alone. They still face a look of surprise when they walk into AP or sometimes even honor level classes (much as girls used to face walking into a Calculus class). They often face the very same assumptions as black students who make it into top colleges, whether due to affirmative action or not.</p>