Affirmative Action/URM

<p>

</p>

<p>Y’know…having the same acceptance rate means nothing to support your case if the black applicant pool is weaker than the general one. And it is.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yeah, alexis, take someone-on-a-video’s word instead; that’s more rational. Insert eyeroll.</p>

<p>Institutional racism describes any kind of system of inequality based on race. Racism of that sort is a fact of life in America. Its built into the system. Affirmative action is not the racism; it’s the one point in your entire life where the racism that has been artificially preventing blacks from competing with you academically and allowing your sense of entitlement to blow so up so much is actually corrected for.</p>

<p>Blacks and Hispanics have consistently tested worse than whites on virtually all standardized tests, even after controlling for socioeconomic status. Is this because these URMs are somehow inferior to whites? No. In fact, census data show that the children of black immigrants are more likely to be college-educated than any other immigrant or U.S.-born ethnic group, including white Americans. The difference is background. Lani Guinier, a Harvard Law School professor, told The Washington Post in 2007 that, “in part, it has to do with coming from a country, especially those educated in Caribbean and African countries, where blacks were in the majority and did not experience the stigma that black children did in the United States.” She sees a dark psychological background as a large impediment to native-born blacks’ ability to academically succeed.</p>

<p>Overcoming this psychological background to succeed is a big deal, because it — along with the socioeconomic state of black america — has proven to be nearly insurmountsble by most black americans seeking to perform well academically at Ivy League levels. So when a kid does just that, it’s a huge indicator of merit. </p>

<p>That, along with compelling diversity interests (a diverse school is indeed a better school) and the social goal of a university to effect progress by educating future leaders in all sorts of domains, makes AA a pretty justifiable policy in college admissions.</p>

<p>It’s okay for you to love in La-La Land and think otherwise. There is a reason why your ideas aren’t being effected in college admissions. They aren’t very good ones.</p>

<p>I’m debating someone who is calling me a racist. If we were talking television shows or college majors, I’d be nice. But not to someone who retaliates so immaturely and menacingly to my valid arguments. I’m actually a nice person who just wants everything to be fair…and I’m the bad guy… Why is she the nice one? Read some of her messages…</p>

<p>All think the only blacks who under perform are the ones who rely on their race to get into good schools. And quite a few black people who aren’t very qualified apply to really good schools, relying solely on affirmative action. And I think a lot of blacks are at Ivies because of AA, but it’s not the only factor. I’m sure they’re all qualified. Ivy leagues won’t accept just anyone. Not if you’re black, native, asian, a woman, hispanic, muslim, or a legacy. Race isn’t everything.</p>

<p>And Did anybody forget this?
<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools;

<p>You keep telling me that blacks aren’t qualified WITHOUT ACTUAL STATS.
You’re operating on the premise that blacks are less intelligent and must be given admission. You’ve said Asians are more qualified than EVERYONE ELSE (again, no evidence, just your theory). That’s why I called you a racist.
Anything else?</p>

<p>Jesus Christ. The amount of stupidity here.</p>

<p>onlineowl, where is your “concrete evidence” of this 57% shift? Your Huffington Post link simply stated the racial breakdown of UCs and CSUs, which can also be found on CollegeBoard.</p>

<p>

Once again, you are in no position to deem ANYONE “qualified” or “unqualified” until you are propped up inside a room reading over applications. Plus, if they are so unqualified, where is your evidence? Provide us with a link to 1) Their test scores (SAT, ACT, AP, IB, SATII), and 2) Their unweighted GPAs, since those are two characteristics that, in your mind, would determine an applicant’s qualifications. Your “well, I know this black person…” stories are not evidence. CC is not evidence, either, since there is always the possibility of fabricated stats.</p>

<p>onlineowl, why do you think AA exists?</p>

<p>Philovitist. Colleges need to be diverse, not look diverse. Having an academically, musically, artistically, and socioeconomically diverse school can bring us all together as one race. Are schools in Japan saying that there are too many Asians? No. Are people in China complaining on there being too few blacks? No. Are schools in South america complaining about too few whites (if that’s even a problem there)? No. Are blacks in Japanese schools complaining, probably not. You’re lacking logic. The majority of blacks overcoming racism and poorness are not the ones benefiting from AA. It’s the rich blacks, rich hispanics, and rich biracial kids who are.</p>

<p>When AA was incorporated, America was racist. Now they are not when it comes to academic institutions. And if they are, then let’s just take the darn box out.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Are these racial groups underrepresented at the top universities in their respective countries?</p>

<p>Just leave, dude.</p>

<p>Owl if I get rejected from Harvard I’m going to be very angry with you.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Think of how many aren’t there because of world history.</p>

<p>hahaha, Alexissss, I’ll try to consider you’re position if you promise to consider mine. Lets’ agree to disagree. And similo, why even make race an issue? I thought we were the same species? Asians are black people with lighter skin and straighter hair, TECHNICALLY.</p>

<p>Obviously the vast majority of blacks are at the big HYP bc AA.
I mean, they all probably had SAT scores no higher than 1900.
Every. Single. One.
Oh, you want evidence of this?</p>

<p>Nah, son. I just know.</p>

<p>I can feeeel the mediocrity.</p>

<p>PHILOVITIST. The ones who are benefitting from AA are not the same ones who were penalized in the past. THE WHITES AND ASIANS LIVING TODAY WERE NOT THE ONES WHO INSTITUTIONALIZED SLAVERY. GET OVER IT.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No one here is interested in an Asian university experience. For a reason. Those institutions don’t care about diversity, and are worse for it.</p>

<p>Academic, musical, etc. diversity are all types of diversity that can and should be valued. Cultural and ethnic diversity are two more, two really critical ones that have defined histories, ignorance of which has cost or degraded lives.</p>

<p>Who here is lacking logic by singling out cultural-ethnic diversity for no clear reason as one that should not be valued?</p>

<p>

Not quite. The black applicant pool may or may not be weaker; without evidence that will likely never be released, all that is available are the provided acceptance rates–which aren’t accompanied with reason (i.e. why the acceptance rate is lower or higher for blacks than the overall acceptance rate). For instance, a few (on this thread) assert that all a black applicant must do is check “Black/African-American” on their application, send in test scores, pay the fee, and hit “submit” to gain acceptance.
As someone who has actually been through the college admissions process, and will go through it again in 2 weeks, I can assure you that that simply isn’t true. But you know this. The links I provided dispute such a claim that it is “so easy to be accepted if you’re black.” Speculation does not take place of facts.</p>

<p>Alexisssss, I never said that. Just stop. I want to stop arguing with you. No matter how much I present, it is never enough…</p>

<p>Oh, but that is the entire basis of your argument, right?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Most of them, in fact, are. A disproportionate number of them come from immigrant families, but not even 25%.</p>

<p>And AA is present-oriented, not past-oriented. We have this world we live in that sucks. It’s my moral obligation to not “GET OVER” that. Universities, through AA, are doing their parts to change that, too.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>JBHE, itself, has a lot of released data demonstrating that blacks fail at the SAT and usually aren’t college-ready as per the ACT’s measures. I can show you statistics about black graduation rates from high schools, and may even be able to find stats on comparative gpa (though I haven’t seen that yet). </p>

<p>If you need me to dig those stats up, I can, but I can assure you that the situation is pretty dire for blacks and its not a secret.</p>

<p>And I’m definitely aware that AA isn’t magic. I’m a black dude with a 2290 who got deferred from Yale. But it’s definitely true that the pool of black applicants each year qualified to attend top universities is…quite small. And that’s what determines how much AA helps a URM each year.</p>