AFJROTC and The Corps

Does 4 years of experience in the AFJROTC and a desire to be in the Corps help at all with Texas A&M admissions? Or does it play no part in the process? If an applicant is outside the top 10%, would this help in holistic review?

I’m pretty sure interest in the corps does not help with admissions, however, AFJROTC can be sort of a EC (leadership experience).

Are you applying for a national ROTC scholarship? If you get the scholarship, that could actually help you get in.

@kaydeeloo

It would, but ROTC scholarship confirmation date comes after admissions date (if OP is applying for fall), so OP wouldn’t know if they actually got the scholarship during the time that they are applying to TAMU.

@RMNiMiTz when is the ROTC scholarship confirmation date?

@kaydeeloo

For NROTC it is in the spring when the scholarship is confirmed. Not exactly sure what it is for AFROTC, but I am pretty sure it is also after admissions date.

From what I can see, the AFROTC application deadline for current rising seniors is December 1st. This probably means confirmation is after December 1st (although I could be totally wrong, due to early processing).

Either way, my advice to OP would be to try their best, no matter when he/she receives an ROTC scholarship.

Notsopatient: Admissions people at A&M say that indicating interest in the Corps doesn’t necessarily increase your chances of getting admitted, but I have heard just the opposite. My son was not in the top 10% of his class, and he got admitted based on holistic review. He has a very strong resume though (Eagle Scout, NHS, exchange student, music honor society, etc). He also got an AFROTC scholarship because he interviewed very well. We also spent some time touring campus, and we (he) scheduled time to meet with a representative from the Corp as well as the advisor for his major. He also did Spend the Night with the Corps. All of this indicated high interest on his part. He got his acceptance letter a week later.

Interesting - when did he apply? Not an academic admit - top 25% with 30 ACT/ 1360 new or 1300 old SAT? That was a quick turn if he was not either an academic admit or national award winner ( NHS = National Hispanic Scholar or National Honor Society?) They do give credit for your activities, which your son has an impressive list. Some applicants do not have the background your son has and feel that just ticking the box that says "corps of cadets’ will be the advantage. Many, many years ago it was, so that is why they mention it now (that generation’s kids are now applying). I’m guessing this was last year - congrats to your son!

@MJBass - when did your son apply? Early in the fall, or late? When you say that “a week later he got his acceptance letter”, when do you mean? A week after applying, spending the night with the Corps, or after finding out he got the AFROTC scholarship? This is good information that can help others. And congratulations to your son!

@AGmomx2 and @addicted2MT ---- I can also add to this discussion for my son. Top 1/3 of class. 28 ACT. Varsity Baseball, NHS, a few other school clubs, Student leader in YoungLife, worked at a “sleep away” Christian camp almost all of his junior year summer (which gave him a good essay topic and may have shown him to be independent?), lots of church involvement and leadership. Indicated interest in the Corps on his app, but only because he was interested. Did SNWC in November. His 3 essays were pretty good. 2 strong letters of rec. — Applied 9/1. Received the Army ROTC scholarship about 2/8, fully admitted on 2/10. It’s hard to know if the ROTC scholarship had any effect, because if you remember back to February of this year, we were told that the majority of decisions would be made by 2/10, which is when his was made.