African-American/Black Class of 2012 (HS) Thread

<p>I know this might be a common question on these threads, but how many black students are there in all of your classes? I’m the only one in all my classes, and it’s very awkward. It ****es me off when others call me Oreo or ask of I’m mixed with something, or even black at all…</p>

<p>I know that race shouldn’t matter, but it would be nice to have other black people in classes too.</p>

<p>Truth.</p>

<p>There was a thread about something like that a while ago. I already posted my tales of woe there lol. Nevertheless, I feel you.</p>

<p>I was wondering if my reach schools are realistic.</p>

<p>Schools (Reach): Yale (engineering), Princeton (engineering), Duke (engineering), Vanderbilt (engineering)
SAT: 2120 (re-taking in nov.) math: 720 CR:740 WR:660
GPA: 4.0 unweighted
11 AP classes
EC’s: Debate Team President (somewhat successful debater, 3rd in state). Writing Center Tutor. Black Cultural Awareness. NHS.
I’m taking AP Physics C. I don’t know if that will help.</p>

<p>Thank you!!! :)</p>

<p>im the only black person in all of my classes. except one, theres a half black girl in that one but she looks white and hangs with white people soooo yeah .</p>

<p>there are only like 10 black seniors in my school so i guess its understandable.</p>

<p>adababy, we’re applying to three of the same schools. I just realized that.</p>

<p>@Thugnificent, the higher level classes that are offered in my school have a strenuous process to even get in. You need an interview,2 recs, an essay, and you need to submit a summary of activities. So my school at least attempted to allow our IB class to have a miz of races. There is one Asian (there were 2, one left the program), 5 African Americans, 2 Spanish (we had 3, one dropped out of the program), the rest are white, and there are about 22 of us. </p>

<p>So my higher level courses have a nice mix. :slight_smile:
But in my SL Science class (SL=I.B. talk for standard level, which is comparable to an AP science class) i’m the only African American, but in my my HL English class there are two of us (HL=Higher level). But in my schools entire higher level courses group (yes, we are grouped together) there are 5 of us.</p>

<p>There are about 3 black girls in all my honors/AP classes, no boys (there were 2 in the c/o 2011).</p>

<p>It depends ont he class. I took AP Clac BC last year and in both classes bombined (we only had 2 classes for the course), there were about 5-6 Blacks out of about 60 kids. In my other classes around a quarter are black, but i go to a very diverse school in a city (actual city not suburbs), so its normal. I’m still considered “not actually black”, however. that gets pretty annoying, but its not my problem, its theirs :)</p>

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I have a question. I know BC is competitive, but how competitive? I’m starting to think about applying there, but I don’t want to apply to a place that I feel like I have such a low chance of getting into…</p>

<p>Is my thinking skewed or something?
1)BC
2)Cornell</p>

<p>The BC students make it sound like BC is impossible, but the Cornell students at least make it sound hopeful… :/</p>

<p>My two cents: If you’re seriously interested in a school and applying is financially feasible, just apply. As clich</p>

<p>Good advice. It’s true.</p>

<p>I decided i’ll apply there anyway.</p>

<p>Cool cool. You gots this :)</p>

<p>haha, thanks!</p>

<p>Have any of you ever noticed that when African American or black students graduate college or high school, they tend to wear a this colorful African looking cloth around their shoulders.
Does anyone know the name of it?</p>

<p>It is called kente cloth. I proudly wore it to my graduation.</p>

<p>I wear kente cloth (it’s part of my culture), I wore it during my elementary school graduation. But the stuff these people are wearing look different. It looks like it’s meant for graduations. I usually just take a yard or so of kente and throw it over my shoulders, but it looks different for some reason…</p>

<p>you guys just made me realize that i’m the ONLY black person in my honors/AP classes, with the except of one black guy in foreign language and one dominican girl in science (she looks black, though. I think she does have african descent mixed in.)</p>

<p>was this already discussed: where is everyone applying to?</p>

<p>Blackrose, they’re called Kente sashes (stoles).</p>

<p>October SAT scores come out tomorrow! Good luck to anyone who took it :)</p>

<p>My updated list looks a lil something like:</p>

<p>Arizona State
Long Beach State
San Francisco State
San Diego State
San Jose State
Loyola Marymount
University of Oregon
University of the Pacific</p>

<p>Thanks MrLuggs :)</p>

<p>I don’t even want to look at that score. But, knowing me, it’ll be the first thing I do tomorrow morning. Good luck to all!</p>

<p>And I told myself I wouldn’t do this, but I did. I have an EA deadline about a week and a half away and 3 more essays to write. Help me, Jesus… </p>

<p>Anyone else behind on stuff?</p>