African-American Class of 2014 Thread

<p>Hey I would like to know if there are any of you who are interested in pursuing engineering?</p>

<p>Aerospace engineering right here but I like Physics as well. TinnyT are you a part of the Chicago Scholars or are you just being invited to go? I thought it was invite only as well but if it isn’t I’m inviting my friends, also maybe I will see you there. :slight_smile: hsgrad I got your back :D</p>

<p>I’m part of Chicago scholars so I have to go. And maybe we will see each other. :D</p>

<p>Okay cool! I’ll probably apply to 15 schools. My school will hopefully waive my fees. I can’t believe that it’s our turn to be applying to colleges! gahhh!</p>

<p>So cool TinnyT I was wanted to apply but I found out about them the day after the app was due, I couldn’t believe it. :(</p>

<p>How many schools is everyone applying to? I was considering 13-15 as although my gpa is a 90 and I have pretty ok EC’s I’m worried about getting accepted. I live in NY so my top are</p>

<p>1.SUNY Binghamton
2.UMaine
Umass-Amherst
Hunter college(CUNY) </p>

<p>I wanna major in nursing who else?</p>

<p>i’m so glad every one else is applying to the same number! I was a bit worried because everyone i know is applying to about 6-8, and I’m on the edge of like 15 (still finalizing list)</p>

<p>I’m Yoruba, first generation american citizen, and living in Cali! :slight_smile: I’m planning on doing something with either vocal performance or African studies (or hey, both) for undergrad</p>

<ol>
<li>Stanford</li>
<li>USC
Rice
Harvard
Princeton
UCLA
UCR
CSULB
CSUF
CSUMB
Peabody Institute at JHU
Carnegie Mellon</li>
</ol>

<p>-___- so lets start with I’m the common slacker who regrets it all now :frowning: but i am gonna run my stats and hopefully you guys can give me some good colleges I could try to apply to I would be so grateful. GPA uw: 2.8 :frowning: GPA w: 4.0 sat: 1750 act:27 i am gonna retake both hopefully do better and top 40%. I am first generation and Haitian with a single mom. I have been getting letters from colleges but I doubt they mean anything so any suggestions would be appreciated and I live in Florida so I qualify for bright futures.</p>

<p>I am hatian as well. I was also a known slacker… My sat is pretty good ,so I’m going try to go to the college of my dreams. You should too.</p>

<p>@Samxfarot,</p>

<p>I don’t how much better scores will help you versus your GPA.</p>

<p>You can get into a lot of decent schools, even get a free ride to some HBCUs. But you have to reasonably explain in interviews the disparity between test scores and actual performance in class.</p>

<p>@Madaboutx
Well I really wanna go to FSU or UCF which are in state and Saint Johns university which is outta state. My CR+M is 1280 if that helps anymore.</p>

<p>@samxfarot I’m in Florida as well and your tests scored are great but your gpa obviously holds you back. FSU, I’m not sure because I know someone who had a gpa in the low 3s with a 1900+ on the Sats and got in. My brother had like a 3.3 and a 1600 and he didn’t get in to FSU or UCF.</p>

<p>Hey guys mike here. I’m a twin so we’re both getting ready for this senior year. Interested to see how this thread continues. I want to apply to stanford REA and my sister wants to apply to Duke or Penn ED</p>

<p>Ahhh! I love the west african community on here already :smiley: I haven’t been on college confidential in so long and its nice to come back and see this :slight_smile: I’m Senegalese/Ivorienne. </p>

<p>What are your plans for the summer? I’m going to South Africa in a couple weeks to visit some friends :)</p>

<p>SAT : 2200
ACT : 34
SAT II : Biology 760, Math Level 2 720
Unweighted GPA : 3.6, Weighted :4.4
AP Test: US History (5 )NSL (3 ) Environmental ( 3) Calculus AB ( 5)Word History (5 ) Lang (5 ) Bio( 5) macro ( 4)</p>

<p>Major Awards : Scioly Medals , National Achievement/National Merit, AP scholar w/ distinction, Bio Olympiad semifinalist</p>

<p>Extracurricular :
-Science Olympiad Secretary
-Math Team President
-Mock Trial Captain
-Science Bowl Captain
-National Honor Society

• Director of another one but its too specific</p>

<h2>Volunteer: EMT for Local Rescue Squad ( 12 hours a week )</h2>

<p>~500 community hours
What do you think of my college list?
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Clemson
Boston College
Lehigh
William and Mary
College Park
University of Conneticut
George Washington</p>

<p>Hahahah lord have mercy, i feel like all you guys are applyng to top 25 colleges. I guess that’s CC for you thought. </p>

<p>Any nigerians in this thread?</p>

<p>Hahaha right!! And I’m Nigerian!!</p>

<p>Ayy that’s straight! I feel like we have hella africans in this thread man.</p>

<p>I know right!!!</p>

<p>Im cameroonian</p>