African-American Class of 2014 Thread

<p>Man I need to check my post! But yep, worst year ever I don’t even want to apply to my colleges because I did so bad this year. My gpa dropped to a 3.1 and the students are just horrible, they treat me really bad . I gues I could still raise my gpa if I get straight A’s this year, but man I hate it here and sometimes I want to leave.</p>

<p>I’m so sorry. I’m an IB full diploma kid myself and at my school, our IB group is very helpful and caring. I love it. Idk why the kids at your school are acting this way. Who the heck do they think they are?! Is it because your black!? This just really made me mad. I’m sorry the your GPA dropped. Don’t give up, please don’t. You’ll be fine. Have you talked to your parents about this? GC? PM if you need someone to talk to! You can make it into MIT. Just work harder this semester and do your best.</p>

<p>I want to apply to
UT Austin
Texas A&M
Iowa state
And SYRACUSE!
Screw them. You can do whatever you want. When you get into MIT throw it in their faces.</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T989 using CC</p>

<p>Right!! Those who said that ND is NOT for black kids like me, if I get in, I’ll print them all a copy of my acceptance letters.</p>

<p>I’m from Chicago. </p>

<p>I’m sorry you don’t like your school and your gpa dropped. Don’t worry about all of that, just focus in your work and make it to the top.</p>

<p>Thanks guys it’s means a lot to me that there are AAs out there who want to make it the top. You would be surprised what I have been told by AA adn Hispanics at my school. I dropped my Spanish IB class because it got so bad, so I’m no longer going to get the IB Diploma but I could get the certificate</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I probably wouldn’t be actually lol. I’ve heard it all tbh. I just never let that stop me because at the end of the day they will be the ones who come in your office begging for a job.</p>

<p>I’m sorry this happened to you. You’ll be fine. Aim for that 4.0! Anything is possible. 2.8-3.1 GPA? With IB classes, you’ll be able to boost that up. Like I said, just keep working hard and let the haters hate. Colleges like to see upward trends as well. Also, you’re in one of the most rigorous programs in the world. I read this article like 2 weeks ago that colleges don’t even look heavily on GPA anymore. They usually look at the rigor of classes. I’m not saying that GPA isn’t important but it’s not the main factor. Email the MIT or any of your top colleges admissions counselors and let them know that you’re interested in their school. They’ll probably be able to tell you what you need to work on in order to be competitive come admission time.</p>

<p>@TinnyT
Same here!! I don’t have time for all that negativity.</p>

<p>Awilo gave some good advice. Also remember that admissions really is holistic. Look at any graph of people who got admitted and denied. You’ll see even the top applicants get denied. It’s all about what you can contribute to the school academically, socially, and physically.</p>

<p>Don’t let them force you out. Education cuts are coming. They’ll lose their pathetic jobs. I’ve had some pretty bad things said to me by admiss counselors too. Just wait. See who’s worth crap.</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T989 using CC</p>

<p>Yeah we need to stick together cuz this a cruel world we live in. Especially for us blacks, we’ll always be seen as a minority. Inferior to the majority race. I don’t always make straight A’s, but I know for a fact I work hard to get my grades.</p>

<p>Aim for that 4.0! Anything is possible. 2.8-3.1 GPA?</p>

<p>I have that now I should be able to pull off a 3.4 by the end of the year if i get straight A’s which is looking very possible because I have all high B’s :stuck_out_tongue: . I would be very interested to see what they say though, since my Freshman year I was at a private school that didn’t have any honors or AP classes.</p>

<p>Yeah. Just explain to them your situation and all. I’m sure they’d like to help any prospective student.</p>

<p>Thanks! but I didn’t put all my colleges that I’m applying too.
MIT
Caltech
Washington univeristy in St Louis
Georgia Institute of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology
University of Michigan-- Ann Arbor
Princeton university
and a few other I think.</p>

<p>All good schools! You’ll be fine. Email their admissions counselors as well. I emailed my regional rep for Notre Dame and he helped me out alot.</p>

<p>Anything is possible with enough determination!</p>

<p>Random: I applied yesterday to work at Fresh Market, and I’ve been looking for a job for the longest that hires underage. It’s for a cashier position and I’m pretty confident in my r</p>

<p>Ayeee!! Goodluck girl, you’ll be in my prayers!</p>

<p>Yes, I will pray for you, and say “May The Force Be With You” because I’m a huge Star Wars fan. Also we should start posting some stats and compare our awesomenes. :)</p>

<p>I really don’t have any stats except for my GPA.</p>