African American Class of 2015

<p>@BeStillMyHeart
Awesome! lol I love seeing new members on this thread. I’m super shy as well but I open up by doing a lot of volunteer work. </p>

<p>My top schools are
USC
Northwestern
Ucla
And UC Berkeley </p>

<p>I plan on becoming a screenwriter or a playwright. I write scripts for my schools drama troupe and I recently won “best in show” for a one act play I wrote. </p>

<p>This is my schedule along with my current grade.
AP Psychology: A
Honors Chemistry: B
AP Lang: B
Honors French 3: B
Pre calc: C
AP Macroeconomics: B
AP government and politics: B</p>

<p>As terrible as my grades are I still have time to bring them up.</p>

<p>@AlexHarper No, I’m from Maryland but I have this weird new love for the South lol</p>

<p>@BeStillMyHeart There are tons of internships in various fields, I would just google “internships for high school students” and maybe go from there? And sometimes I feel kind of dumb on here too :confused: But I just try to avoid the Chance Me threads and the “Rate My X” threads.</p>

<p>I’m from NC! I live in Raleigh, but I grew up in Colerain, NC ( very very rural just google it).</p>

<p>My grades are:
A Day
AP Lang B ( it’s going to stay that way)
AP Psych B
APUSH B
MULTIMEDIA B (I can easily bring that up. We’re getting a new teacher when I go back to school. The old teacher never gave us time to finish our class work and with the programs we use at school it costs a lot so I can’t do it at home. ) </p>

<p>B Day </p>

<p>Law and Justice Honors A
AP Gov A ( I love politics as you can see above but he also curve our tests)
Digital Media A
Pre-Calculus Honors A ( I LOVE math)
As you can see B days are a breeze for me. A days are more difficult.</p>

<p>Hello everyone!! I hope everyone is having a great break. It’s super nice having new people on here. Welcome to the thread!
Grades so far are all A’s and a B in AP Chem that I am extremely proud of. Kidding but whenever I get above a 70 on a test I wanna cry tears of joy. I can bring it up to an A if I tried reaaaaally hard. The problem is the trying reaaaally hard. Lol. Right now I have like a four point something weighted.
I had a lot of reach schools on my list and this year I wanna focus on finding some match and safety schools.
My dream schools are UNC Chapel Hill and Duke (NC Represent!) and Georgetown
I don’t really know what I wanna do but I love leading and public speaking!
Happy New Year guys!! :)</p>

<p>My current college list: (guys, I’m quite proud of this list! So much time researching colleges! Hopefully I am able to eliminate some because I have a feeling I will end up applying to 15+ schools to bc I love them all and I need options/financial aid)
College List</p>

<p>Barnard College of Columbia University (reach)</p>

<p>Georgetown (reach) ? (Idk, not getting good vibes from researching or visiting. Seems competitive internally) </p>

<p>Emory University (Oxford College) (reach)</p>

<p>McGill (reach)</p>

<hr>

<p>Northeastern (general studies) (match/reach)</p>

<p>New York University (match) (college of arts and science) </p>

<p>George Washington University (match)</p>

<p>Boston University (general studies?) (match)</p>

<p>Occidental (match) (3-2 Engineering w/ Columbia U., or Accelerated Interdisciplinary Program in Legal Education w/ Columbia U.)</p>

<p>Pitzer (match) (BA/MA w/ Claremont Grad U.) (Management Engineering w/ Columbia, USC, WUSTL 5yr)</p>

<hr>

<p>Syracuse (match/safety)</p>

<p>Fordham (match/safety)</p>

<p>Pepperdine (match/safety) (3-2 Engineering w/ USC and WUSTL-biomedical/environmental)</p>

<p>Hampshire (match/safety) (consortium)</p>

<p>American University (match/safety) </p>

<hr>

<p>New School/Eugene Lang (safety) (could pursue fashion at the prestigious parsons w/ dual degree)</p>

<p>Simmons (safety) (3+1 Plan- four years =ba in sociology, masters in public policy or dual degree w/ harvard school of public health)</p>

<p>Spelman (safety) (honors program) (dual degree engineering)</p>

<p>Howard (safety)- full ride- first come/served scholarship (honors program)</p>

<p>UMass Amherst (safety)- full tuition- Abigail/john adams scholarship</p>

<p>—yeah. I’m sadly not completely in love with my match safeties however. :(</p>

<p>Jwaja…</p>

<p>There is a motto on CC and it is “Love thy Safety”.</p>

<p>I suggest, finding an academic and financial safety that you do love or at least like a lot.</p>

<p>Also, ensure that you run the Net Price Calculators. If you are looking for schools that meet full need, there are some on your list that you may want to revist. If you are not looking for FA, then you are probably good to go.</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>@learninginprog</p>

<p>Oh, I guess I meant to say is that I love all of my schools, especially my safeties (howard, spelman, simmons but not so much umass -trying to really get out of the state for at least a couple years). But I’m not really in love with my low matches (american, hampshire, pepperdine, syracuse, fordham) and I know american doesnt really offer good financial aid. Hopefully, I plan to raise my gpa so it’s not really necessary that I apply to them. I’m sure after this year, I can cross alot of schools off my list because I will hopefully be average for my reach/above average and then I can consider ED…maybe? </p>

<p>The Net Price Calc is very good advice. It will definitely help shrink my list! Thank you! I havent really considered that!</p>

<p>Wow I wish I would have found this thread earlier!! I never knew that there were other black juniors so dedicated to college on CC. I’m an African American female myself. I hope I’m not too late and that you guys still use this page. </p>

<p>College and I definitely have a love-hate relationship. I’m excited but at the same time I’m stressed. At least I know that hard work eventually pays off lol.</p>

<p>So I was wondering if anyone has taken the ACT yet?? I’m taking it next month and besides doing practice questions etc. I don’t know too much about it.</p>

<p>Welcome to the thread!!
You’re not too late. Because of school the thread has kinda slowed down but we’re here!
I have not taken the ACT yet. Where I’m from it’s not as big of a deal as the SAT. However, I do plan to take it the fall of senior year. My friends have told me that they though it was easier than the SAT. I think if repetition is key to all these standardized test!
Btw I have been looking into the National Achievement scholarship. I just called their office and confirmed that the cutoffs will be announced in September. Good to know I can stop thinking about it for a while. Although, I feel the need to stay on top of this. I don’t think my GCs will be of much help!</p>

<p>What’s going on guys! Nice to see some new people joining the thread… yeah my grades have been pretty ****ty… Probably going to end this year with 3 B’s… :/</p>

<p>These have been my grades.</p>

<p>Freshman Year:
Intro to Business - A
Honors English - A
Honors Math Analysis (Honors Pre-Calc) - A
Introduction to Programming (JAVA class… only kid in class to earn an A) - A
Honors Bio - A
Honors African-Asian Studies - A
Spanish III - B</p>

<p>Sophomore Year:
AP Calc AB - A
AP Computer Science - A
Honors English - B
Honors Chem - B
Honors Physics - B
Honors Western Civilizations - A
Spanish IV - B</p>

<p>Junior Year:
APUSH - B
AP Calc BC - A
AP Bio - A
Honors Spanish IV - B
Honors Principles of Engineering - A
English 11 - B</p>

<p>Senior Year: (Just about to do course selection)
AP Gov + AP Economics
Linear Algebra + Multivariable Calculus
AP Physics
AP Chem
AP Statistics
Honors English</p>

<p>Honestly, I feel like I’m screwed because I want to go to some really tough schools. I know that I’ll be prepared for the workload, but it’s been really tough juggling all of the academics + my extra curriculars. I’m a really big software/coding guy… I actually just won a hackathon with 500+ coders, which is a pretty big deal. I’m also the founder of a relatively big app on Android and iOS… I have a bunch of leadership roles at school… I’m the treasurer of my class/student council. I’m the Regional President of FBLA (I oversee 12 schools in my area). I am the winner of a few international service awards… I’m on my varsity tennis team… Everyone at school knows me, since I am connected with everyone in some way.</p>

<p>I’m just a bit scared because I screwed up my grades. Hopefully schools like UPenn and Carnegie Mellon and some of the Cali schools will overlook that in favor of my EC’s… also being a URM should help. Thoughts? Thanks so much in advance.</p>

<p>@Brown210
You took PreCal as a freshmen?! And here I am losing sleep over my PreCal midterm as a junior. >.<
Im actually super jealous that you’re a math person. I really excel in English and History but those aren’t where the high paying jobs are.
Im not really good with the whole chancing people. However, your ECs are amazing and they reflect your interest in computers/programming. What’s your GPA? I noticed that all of your Bs are in honors classes. If your school gives weighted credit for honors class then your GPA shouldn’t be low. You also have As in your AP classes so that should help as well. Like I said Im not the best with chancing, but I think you are a great candidate for some top schools. Im not sure how much being a URM helps. What do you want to major in?</p>

<p>@basic2015 Hey! Yeah lol I’m definitely an analytical person… definitely good with numbers… My GPA (weighted) is right around 4.1ish… Unweighted… idk… maybe a 3.7ish</p>

<p>I’m planning to major in Finance and Computer Science</p>

<p>Love both of those… that’s another EC lol… I won 1st in the nation 2 years in a row for a mergers and acquisitions competition. hahah… so everyone knows I’m not stupid. It’s just my grades that speak otherwise. ugh… this sucks</p>

<p>@basic2015 Also, if you need help with precalc, I’m here… just pm me with questions. Honestly, no biggie</p>

<p>@brown210 Colleges also look at your grades in the context of your school. So if you’re attending a fairly competitive school with difficult classes (which it seems to be in your situation) then colleges will take that into account. I totally get where you’re coming from, I’ve gotten a B every year since freshman year, and I might end up with two this year, but I attend a prep school, so I think colleges will factor that in. You’re unweighted GPA is great and you’re ECs are even better, so I wouldn’t worry :)</p>

<p>@BellLander That’s true - I’m in a very competitive high school (and area in general… all of the high schools around me are pretty top notch). I appreciate the feedback. Thanks a lot… crossing my fingers lol… good luck</p>

<p>Are any of you guys applying to summer programs? Are all of your midterms coming up?</p>

<p>I took my midterms about a week and a half ago. Apush was awful (but at least I managed to get an 84/B on it). I was actually pleasantly surprised by my exams I got a 100 on Theology, 98 on Brit lit, 93 on latin, 92 on algebra 2, 91 on chemistry. We just got our report cards back this Friday too. I’ve never been this proud of myself in my live (4.1083 gpa). This semester was so hard (a lot of the time I would go to sleep at like one and wake up at 4 to study but I guess those miserable days were worth it). It kind of sucks seeing how empty our grade portal is after they clear it for the new semester and realizing that I still have a ton of work left. Then I take the sats in March and my math score is killing me. I’m really unbalanced according to psat scores (71 cr, 55 m, 60 w) and I can’t afford a prep course so I’m kinda screwed. Is anyone else taking the sats in March or just took them this past weekend in the 25th.</p>

<p>Thanks @basic2015 for your help. I’m planning on taking the SAT this year as well just to see which one I do best on and then take the subject tests my senior year.</p>

<p>@brown210 I plan on doing an engineering or research related program this summer. Maybe one at Michigan State…we’ll see. I’m also thinking about computer science as a possible major. I’m in AP Computer Science right now…what did you think of the course?? My teacher isn’t really good</p>

<p>Hello everyone! I’m new here and decided to hop into the conversation. @15rusdej which subject tests are you thinking about taking. I took math 2 last year and got an 800. Also I have begun studying for the physics subject test to take this summer. I am in AP Comp Sci as well and love the class; however, my teacher retired at the end of the first semester so it’s a completely self taught class now. All we have is a long term substitute teacher that doesn’t know much about programming.</p>