African American Communities at IV League Schools

<p>I am interested in the academic rigour of an IV League, but i am concerned if i will fit in. I was wondering what IV league schools do you know have a strong social and academic african american community. I am looking for a strong support system of fellow students but also a group of friends I can go and party with. At the moment I am looking into Princeton and Brown. How do these schools add up in your experiences. </p>

<p>I am an AA who went to Yale, Class of '82 (yes, I’m ancient). However, my daughter is there as a freshman, Class of 2018. There is definitely a difference in tone and culture at the different Ivies. Yale and Brown are probably the most laid back, liberal and progressive. Princeton is not known to be that hospitable. UPenn is laid back and very urban. Dartmouth is big on fraternities, so if you are into that, you should be okay. Harvard is just, well, Harvard. You need to go to the schools and get a feel for them. If you ever want to visit Yale, Harvard or UPenn, I can put you in touch with current AA freshman who can show you around. Message me if you want.</p>

<p>@Tperry1982 “Princeton is not known to be that hospitable.”
Could you elaborate? S intends to apply SCEA. Although he is not a self segregator and does not share OP’s concern for “community,” I am interested in what you mean. Thanks.</p>

<p>I know a Princeton grad of '12 that would also dispute your statement. Tperry. Maybe things have changed over the years…hopefully?</p>

<p>TPerry is a Yale grad so I don’t think they say many nice things about Princeton. Professor Cornell West left Harvard to go to Princeton. I believe if it wasn’t more hospitable, he’d throw a fit to fix that.</p>

<p>Also, the last president of Brown was an AA female. I think that is a positive sign of how it is there. </p>

<p>Okay, haven’t been on this thread for a minute but I will respond. Yes, my experience with Princeton as an AA woman may be dated, but I just went through the application process with my D who was a senior last year as were most of her friends. They are all high powered kids who ended up at great schools - not all of which were Ivies by the way.</p>

<p>All the AA kids this year that got into multiple Ivies and visited chose an Ivy other than Princeton. I personally do not know anyPrinceton AA alumni who are gushing about their experience - but of course I don’t know them all. I do not, however, see any on here disputing what I am saying. But I do go to a lot of AA alumni functions in my area, and AA Princeton grads are not in great supply.</p>

<p>Princeton is very secluded and their eating club system is very elitist (even today). It is not very welcoming to outsiders. </p>

<p>I am a firm believer that you should go to the school that fits you the best. I am sure there are some AA students at Princeton that love it. I just don’t know any.</p>

<p>I was speaking without firsthand knowledge so I will defer my judgement to other’s experience. </p>

<p>My D had Princeton as her number 1 choice school since seventh grade then in the summer between junior and senior year she completely dropped it off the list and made Penn her first choice. She never could really verbalize why she did it. Now, I’m wondering if she just got a vibe she didn’t like.</p>

<p>All 3 of my children visited Princeton. I forced my son to apply due to their strength in engineering he was accepted and chose to go elsewhere. My daughters would not even apply after visiting. The girls were really turned off by the dining clubs. The eldest even asked a question regarding it during the info session. Campus is awesome, Education is awesome but their first impressions did not go well. Son was interviewed and left the interview wondering if it was really for him. </p>

<p>My D’s best friend is a freshman at UPenn. She loves it there. She was looking for a more urban feel than Yale so she chose to be in Philadelphia.</p>

<p>Princeton’s Undergraduate Student Government President for 2 consecutive years (2013 & 2014) is an African American student - Shawon Jackson. He is a friend of my D. </p>

<p>I would say Shawon is having a great time at Princeton. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>My D is a freshman at UPenn, and we are all very impressed with the diversity. So far her friends are of all “stripes” and the feeling is one of inclusivity (unlike Princeton, which she hated.)</p>

<p>Well, like I said, Shawon Jackson is doing well at Princeton. From his Facebook pictures, Shawon’s friends are whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Indians and Asians. </p>

<p>This kid just love people and it’s obvious that people love him.</p>

<p>@LanaHere “From his Facebook pictures, Shawon’s friends are whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Indians and Asians.” And that may very well be why he is thriving at Princeton.</p>

<p>On the other hand the OP is specifically interested in a " a strong social and academic african american community."</p>

<p>Every black teen considering Princeton comes from a different background and is looking for different characteristics in a college environment. No different than their white counterparts, many which may be equally as disenchanted with Princeton. And certainly, despite the anecdotes in this thread, many AA students can and do thrive at Princeton.</p>

<p>.</p>

<p>Not in any way trying to diminish the excellence of Princeton. It indeed may be the best school in the country. I do think at times it can come across a little haughty. Even more so than it’s obvious rivals. Any student regardless of ethnicity should be proud to wear the orange and black. </p>

<p>I believe that any high school senior that goes to Princeton and loves it should apply and attend if they are admitted. I I am more than sure that there are some very happy AA students there, just like there are some unhappy ones at Yale, Brown, Harvard and UPenn. Princeton for me is a stretch for a lot of people - not just AAs. </p>

<p>Doing admission work for Yale and just having gone through the admissions process with my child, the best advice to parents is to look at the schools for how well YOUR child fits there, not someone else’s. We are in such short supply at all the Ivies so I think we should ensure that our students are represented at all of them. If you like Princeton, I am all for anyone going there. I just wouldn’t send MY kid there. Personal preference.</p>

<p>I didn’t apply to Princeton - they don’t have my major - but I’ve visited and loved it. While there I was visiting my friend who’s a POC - Chinese - and most of her friends were also Chinese. I also met some AA people she knew. None of the Princetonians I got to know were from the wealthy backgrounds stereotypically associated with the school. All seemed happy with their choice. I haven’t spent time there outside of visiting her a few times and competing in sports there, but I have a very, very positive opinion of the school. </p>

<p>I went to college down the street from Harvard and the black students’ association from my school interacted with the one from their school. While our association was good and had considerable reach, I think their community was a good deal stronger and more tight knit. The have some very good programs that interact even with prefrosh, as I experienced when I was admitted to Harvard. I didn’t sign up to go to their campus visit weekend, which the admissions department had no idea of. No one from admissions called me and encouraged me to go. However, Harvard’s black student group set me up with a host and called me until I was convinced that I had to at visit for the weekend. I still turned Harvard down, but I was impressed with the persistence of the black community there.</p>

<p>My mother attended Cornell - class of 1976. She was part of an incredible black community there. She lived in Ujamaa Residential College, which was then brand new and all black. It still exists and is still focused on black and African culture, but I’m sure things have changed in the last 40 years.</p>

<p>Hello…so… I’m an AA at Princeton. I could go on and on, but simply put, I would never tell an AA—or anyone from any background for that matter—that they should or should not attend Princeton. I have AA friends that think it’s amazing, others that think it’s alright and others that really don’t like it. The reasoning for each also varies. So I honestly couldn’t say that if an AA student were to come here they would love it or hate it. But I will say that neither would surprise me. And in regard to the AA community itself on campus, it is quite strong, if you choose to associate with it. </p>

<p>If anyone has more specific questions, let me know, and feel free to PM me.</p>

<p>Yes, it’s all about fit. Oddly enough, DD is at Yale, a school that she swore she would never attend. She too was accepted to PENN and many other strong schools. Last April, she attended several accepted students events. Her opinion incredibly lackluster after returning home, saying very little. Ironically, Yale spoke to her. On the 3rd night of BDD, I received a text at 3:30am saying “Mom, I’m going to Yale.” I almost fell off of the bed. I didn’t really believe it until I dropped her off on move in day. Lol</p>

<p>We toured P’ton in April of 2012. I loved it, she hated it and refused to apply. But this is a kid who is very mercurial. We know a young man who loved his experience there. </p>

<p>Columbia’s last classes have been 14% Black and 15% Latino…more diversity than most I think.</p>