African-American High School Class of 2016

@Slytherclaw12 I’m from southwest Virginia (Blue Ridge Area).

I was just in SW Va for summer gov school. It was so beautiful there I miss it so much :’(

Same! @YoAdriaaaaan You did humanities, right? Some of my friends did that at Radford and all of the voice, dance, and theatre programs. I did Spanish and it was at Washington and Lee.

Hi! I’m totally late on the AA thread but I thought better late than never. My list really reach heavy:
EA
Tulane
UNC-Chapel Hill

RD
Harvard
Duke
Penn
Dartmouth
WUSTL
USC
UT
UTD
I’m regretting not applying SCEA anywhere but I feel like I’m not competitive enough anyway.

Hey, I was wondering if you guys wouldn’t mind chancing me for the Ivies and the like…

SAT I (breakdown): 2310 (one sitting) Math: 800 CR: 750 Writing: 760
ACT (breakdown): 35 (two tries) Math: 36 Reading: 36 English: 36 Science: 33
SAT II (place score in parentheses): Lit: 780 Math II: 780 Physics: 760 US History: 800
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): school only has weighted 4.46/4.5
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
AP (place score in parentheses): AP World (5), AP Stat (5), AP Physics 1 (4), AP Lang (5), APUSH (5), AP Macro (5) AP Micro (5), AP Comp sci (5), AP BC (5), AP Chemistry (5)
IB (place score in parentheses): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: Multivariable calculus/differential equations, AP Gov, AP Lit, AP Bio, AP Enviro, Anatomy, Journalism
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Semifinalist, National Achievement Semifinalist, National AP Scholar, Columbia Scholastic Press Award

[ b]Subjective:**
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): Editor-in-Chief of school magazine, Feminist Club- first in the county, met Justice RBG (President and Founder), Amnesty International Chapter (President and Founder), Young Democrats Chapter (President and Founder), Muslim Student’s Association (President), NHS (President), Freshman Mentorship Program (Exec. officer), contributor for various online publications, Science Olympiad, Model UN
Honors: National, Math, History, Spanish, and English honor societies
Job/Work Experience: n/a
Volunteer/Community Service: TA at ESOL class in women’s shelter, food bank coordinator, tutor for at-risk youth
Summer Activities: 3-week intensive Arabic studies program, volunteering in Ethiopia
Essays: working on them now
Teacher Recommendations: 10/10 (AP Physics), 10/10 (AP Lang)
Counselor Rec: 9/10 she just came this fall so she doesn’t know me very well.
Additional Rec: 10/10 (Sponsor of Amnesty and Spanish teacher)

[ b]Other**
State (if domestic applicant): VA
Country (if international applicant): n/a
School Type: public high school
Ethnicity: African American
Income Bracket: 500k+
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): ?

is there national achievement this year?

No @nfhd11214367p0i it’s been replaced by something for college grads.

@vnervous I’d be surprised if something didn’t materialize for you, but it’s the ivies so who knows. I’m rooting for ya

@vnervous first generation college with +500k income. Unless you mean “In America”, what happened there?

Anyways, that was an aside. I’d say you have a great chance, and will probably get into one university you desire.

But to balance out my statement, always remember that a great chance is still a sub-30% chance.

@vnervous Which Ivies specifically? Because all of them are very different. I don’t think there’s a point in chancing for the Ivies in my opinion because it’s like winning the lottery. Just because you have the stats doesn’t mean you get in. It’s very unpredictable but I do believe you are an extremely qualified applicant. I hope you get into your first choice!

My final college list:
EA:
Drexel (safety)
Fordham: Rose Hill (match)
Rutgers: New Brunswick (safety)
University of Maryland, CP (match)

Rolling:
University of Pittsburgh (match)

RD:
Boston University (reach)
NYU (reach)
American University (match)

I’m applying as an econ/ econ and math major for all. EAs due in less than a week X_X

@vnervous Congratulations on your achievements. Clearly you are a brilliant girl and don’t need to come here and post a chances thread-you know your chances. I can’t imagine how you even have time for something this frivolous. Anyway the thing that really stands out in your post is that you state you are a National Achievement Semifinalist when the program has been discontinued. Listing that on your CA will be a head scratcher for admissions and they might question what other misstatements you have made? Also, when you hold too many leadership positions adcoms start to question your true contribution to the clubs-there are just so many ec hours available, so be careful with that. It just isn’t adding up for me.

@planner03 got 'em lol

500K income? Jesus… :open_mouth:

I’m feeling so uneasy about college admissions. I really just want to fast forward and get this over with. :-SS

I’m applying to Yale EA. Don’t think I have the stats to get in but I did give the supps my all.

@letmeseetheworld It’s okay to be worried. You’re not alone there lol

As long as you gave it your best, all you can do is be at peace with the fact that whatever happens was meant to happen.

@YoAdriaaaaan I keep trying to keep that reminder in my head. I’ll end up where I’m supposed to be.

To anyone applying to Tulane, they have started releasing EA/SCEA decisions already.

Aww thanks thats really hepful!

Damn son, how’d I find this? Anyway, hey all, Im an AA senior, my dream school is George Mason but I’ve applied to 30 schools so I have a decent safety net.Been accepted to nine(Alabama in Huntsville, Georgia Southern, Western Carolina University, University of Northern Iowa, Coastal Carolina, Lynchburg College, Ferrum College, Wingate University and Louisiana Tech) and Deferred from 1 (Hampden-Sydney). 20 more decisions to go! Good luck to all of you Ivy hopefuls, what’s it like to be a genius?

@ADonkeyFly 30 schools??? Jesus, man… I hope some of those fees were waived.

I’m kind of new here, so haaayyyy.
I just submitted apps to Columbia, UVA, Brown, Yale, Haverford, and Amherst.

I’ve only got Swarthmore and University of Pennsylvania left. I’m confident I won’t get in to any but UVA (in-state), but questbridge finalist here. fingers crossed