African-American High School Class of 2016

Don’t forget to post stats for c/o 2017! Congrats everyone:)

I went 9/9 in my admissions process! Accepted at UVA, JMU, W&M, Rice, Amherst, Dartmouth, Williams, and Columbia/Sciences Po Paris!

Congrats to all of you and your acceptances!

Sadly Ivy Day wasn’t too kind to me (but I only applied to 2 Ivies anyway). On the bright side, I’m finally done with all of my college decisions! And I think I know which school I’m going to commit to. So yay, I guess!

@Prospective1998 @americannigerian Ayyy if ya’ll decide to go to Columbia I might see ya’ll around! (I’m probably attending Barnard)

I-I too may be attending Columbia @charmandquark Oddly enough, only black people got into Ivy Leagues this year.

@Nedcone What? Lol that’s not true at all

@CCSenioritis Oh dear, my phone got cut off. Only black people got into Ivy Leagues from my school haha.

@Nedcone Ohhh LOL i was like whaaaat haha

Just got notified that I got into the GPPA program at UIC. I’m most likely not gonna attend UIC, but I’m still happy as it’s pretty selective. Yay!

Congrats!!!

@Nedcone oh boy there weren’t any cries of affirmitive action were there? :-w Hahaha honestly I’m scared to even apply to the tippy top schools next year because I KNOW that’s what my classmates will think

@ZBlue17 Still on Spring Break haha, but I hope not. Things have been cordial so far. And not that many kids are applying to top schools despite being rigorous. The same phenomena happened with Northwestern U too.
It’s invalid though because we all worked hard, even harder than others.

@ZBlue17 Ngl I got some of those comments and you may as well next year, it’s part of the package lol. If it happens ignore them and relish in your success. Haters gonna hate :))

Yey - I got into Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth and Penn on Ivy Day! Hooray!

I’m probably going to Princeton (or maybe Yale, since that’s cheaper - who knows)

@Princetonian2020 Congrats, that’s great!

@ZBlue17 Reach as high as you want! Don’t pay any mind to the haters.

@Nedcone Ayy! Maybe I’ll see you there too then!

@ThatPeprika Got into UIC GPPA Med too!
@charmandquark Maybe!

I’m still deciding between Johns Hopkins and Brown.

Z! Don’t allow what others think to stop you! My daughter was accepted to Yale, Dartmouth & UPENN(Williams, Amherst, Trinity, UNC-CH) 2 years ago & busted her butt for 4 years…had an AMAZING resume! 5.2 GPA, strong test scores, AP classes, college courses, literacy volunteer, aquarium docent, mock patient @ Yale Medical School, built houses with Habitat, after school STEM program at Yale Peabody Musem(9/10/11 a student and grade 12 she was an instructor) super summer experiences every year…she also worked a part time job at a vegan restaurant that is across the street from Yale’s old campus. She busted her hump quietly, she didn’t discuss her successes, her summers of NO rest & relaxation, her after school hours/weekends were filled with work, volunteering & college classes! Her essays were killer and done all on her own.

I say all of this to say that her classmates, who were slackers all 4 years were incredibly jealous of her. Said she only got in B/c of her blackness. Huh? What? It got ugly. They were jealous of her success! She was the only one to get in…aside from a classmate whose father is a Yale professor/master but he chose Princeton.

So you apply. Don’t let them win. Who cares what they say. You will always regret it if you dont. Just my motherly advice.

@NewHavenCTmom wow, thank you so much for your advice. My school is a small competitive public charter (nationally ranked) with a lot of people applying to elite schools, so I know I’ll have the negative sentiments. But I won’t let that stop me!