African-American HS Class of 2020

@itsgettingreal17 Thanks for that. I knew that GT wasn’t a gimme, even being in-state because he chose one of the most competitive majors (Computer Engineering) and he never had any tech based extra curricular activities (or school ones for that matter) as all of his activities revolved around volunteering in our community and tutoring. The Howard offer has removed any fretting about how this process will end which is a blessing.

@Sarrip Hindsight is always 20/20, but I see a family who was well prepared for the college admissions derby to apply to 17 schools, so I look at your journey with admiration (because that is a lot of work).

@EconPop This will all be over in the next 9 weeks and you will one day laugh about this with your son…

@ChangeTheGame - thank you but I have to say that DD20 was a real rock star. She knew what she wanted and what she did not. Though I tried to become more involved I got the message and gave her the space that she needed and wanted. DS09 was different, I did quite a bit of prodding and pushing but he eventually got it done. A totally different process for him with 8 schools, all RD, 7 Acceptances, 1 waitlist. Took no time to narrow it down to 2 and then the accepted students days sealed the deal.

Yes - we are leaving spring break open for accepted student days.

@tata00 - My daughter is in prep school 5 hours from home so I’m hoping that the visits are during her spring break. If not we will make it happen.

Congratulations to everyone thus far!!! DD got another acceptance from Northeastern this evening which she did EA. Her only RD was Emory. Looking back, I think the college list would have been a little different.

Congratulations!!!

@MomOfThree80 That is great news!!

@Sarrip @tara00 Thank you…I’m going to take all this new found knowledge that I’ve learned from everyone on this thread and help younger family members! Even though I went to college, the process for college admissions has gotten more challenging and more competitive. I still don’t know everything, but I feel like I’m in a position to help others that are not familiar with the process.

You are very welcome. With the changing times I don’t think anyone will ever know everything (even though there are those on CC that think they do). This is my third and youngest child and the process is so different than it was with the other 2 that I felt as if I was starting from scratch even though I had so much help. Paying it forward is what I try to do as well. This is an exciting time.

Congratulations to all with the great news. Knowing that you have great options this early is a great thing! The rest is gravy.

@MomOfThree80 Congratulations on the Northeastern acceptance. Your DD is on a roll.

Congratulations @MomOfThree80

That is fantastic! Especially after reading the Northeastern EA thread and seeing how many outstanding students were deferred or denied.

Good luck with Emory!

Hey All, We received our last EA Acceptance today from Ramapo College of New Jersey. Presidential Scholarship covering full tuition and fees. Detailed financials will be sent in the mail. So excited about this one.

Congratulations @Sarrip

Congrats @Sarrip!! Your D already has so many great choices. I can’t wait to see the final decision. Looks like she may have a tough time choosing, though that is always better than having a string of rejections and only one option. :wink:

@Sarrip Congratulations!!! I know you’re extremely proud!!

@MomOfThree80 - Thank you. Yes, I am very proud but I’m also very relieved. No matter what happens with the RD schools we have a very affordable option that she can be happy with. It’s about an hour from home which means minimal travel expenses, flights or hotels to factor into the budget.

@Sarrip , congrats!! Super happy for your student!

Thank you!!