African-American HS Class of 2020

@profsd - Thanks for continuing to hang out here with us, I’m hoping that this thread does not end after decisions are made and that we can check in every now and then. I feel like I have a real support group here :smiley:

DD20 received an advance notification to Lehigh today!! This was one of the last minute schools that the college counselor added so we did not get to visit. They are inviting her to diversity day. She is already committed to the senior performing arts trip at her school that weekend. We can’t cancel because we committed months ago , hotel reservations, tickets to 3 broadway shows etc were already secured. I guess we will try to make a visit during spring break.

Welcome @crvng4mr and congratulations to your son. It seems like our kids have a couple of the same schools as finalists (Morehouse and Howard) and my household will also be empty come August…

My family is planning what @crvng4mr mentioned with gathering the entire village and a few of my son’s friends at his favorite restaurant. Paying for a meal for our village doesn’t seem like enough because my village carried my household, especially in those early years. My wife and I are probably going to do something alone this summer (cruise or trip) since she refused to take a break from our kids until they were grown. I have been waiting for 20 years for this:)

I have been very thankful for this thread and I am wishing the same positive vibes and support for the class of 2021 thread.

Ditto @Sarrip

Hey @ProfSD, I am glad that you have hung around too. I can not wait to have the same peace of mind as you do (knowing where my kid is going to school).

Yes March 1 for all the California UC’s. Sending good vibes to all who applied. DD21 only likes 2. Doesn’t care for Davis nor Cal which is closer to home. Humm That may be the reason Hehehe

Definitely speak with your TA. They can help guide and provide information you wouldn’t have access to or is harder to find. #biased :wink:

Thank you @ChangeTheGame .

Ok my friends, the countdown is on. I wish you all the best this month. Looking forward to celebrating with you all. We should have a virtual Party :smiley: .

Hey @Sarrip !! Want to wish you well also! Everyday it’s getting harder and harder to hold back tears. Every time we have to pay for something it just reminds me that my baby is leaving soon! We just ordered our graduation yard sign yesterday. I love the idea of a virtual party LOL.

I just received an email from Northeastern that they are going ahead with their Honors Welcome Day amid the Coronavirus outbreak. They also said that could change and they would do a digital format. I’m guessing other schools will be sending information out shortly as well. DD school was going to Italy this summer (DD went with school 2 summers ago) but have cancelled the trip.

@MomOfThree80 - This past weekend we were at an event for scholarship finalist and there were approximately 64 students plus parents. They did encourage us to greet each other without without contact in a light hearted way. I do hope that we have an opportunity to visit when we narrow it down to the final 2. I can’t wait to be where you are. We got a great deal on towels a few weeks ago but that’s about as far as we have gotten.

All of these university’s closing is putting things on pause. It’s helping to see how the administration sees all members of the student population. Was pleased to see how Howard communicated and made accommodations for members of the student body who can not move right away. That is very telling…

RDs are starting to roll in - DD20 received an acceptance today at Dickinson College with a Presidential Scholarship.

Congratulations to DD20 @Sarrip

@Sarrip Congratulations!!! That’s awesome!!!

@havingfunyet and @MomOfThree80 THANK YOU!!! Some happy news amongst so much chaos.

Congrats to your D20, @Sarrip!! Dickinson was one of our favorites. The Presidential Scholarship on top of the acceptance is FABULOUS!

Another acceptance yesterday at Stevens IT. The Edwin A. Stevens Scholarship, The Martha Bayard Stevens Scholarship, and The Presidential Scholarship.

@profsd- We really liked the Dickinson but DD20 was very disappointed in her host during the fly-in, a real Debbie Downer who was not interested in doing anything nor did she participate or know much about activities. She simply shared the same major but nothing else in common. Wondered what the criteria was for selecting hosts. DD did eventually hook up with a student who was a former student at her high school on the last day for a short time.

D20 so far:

Accepted; URichmond, Fordham, Gettysburg, UDenver
Waitlisted; Bates
Rejected; Pomona, Pitzer, Bowdoin
Waiting; five more

Congratulations Sarrip on the great news.

Welcome GarnetTide to the thread. Congratulations to your D20 so far and good luck on those last 5 decisions coming soon.

My son is still waiting for his financial aid package from Morehouse and to complete a now virtual scholarship Selection weekend and I hope to give a final update on his College Admissions 2020 season soon.

Congrats @sarrip.

I wouldn’t let a host deter your kid from any school, just a bad luck of the draw. My D asked for a swimmer as a host at a diversity fly in as she had been a USS swimmer for many years. The host turned out to be horrible but the school wowed her and she ended up there and loved it.

@GarnetTide - Welcome and congratulations to your daughter. My DD20 was accepted at Fordham as well.

@ChangeTheGame - I hope you get that financial aid package soon. Wow, virtual Scholarship Selection Weekend, I can’t wait to hear about that. Looking forward to your update. I was just thinking this morning that each of us should do a final list at the end along with the final decision.

@CottonTales- Thank you, that’s good to hear.