African American Success

<p>Ok thanks to both of y’all. As far as act I got a 24( i am taking it again) and my grade point average so far is a 4.5. I’m really thinking that the size will not matter.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your help! I am really focused. Does anyone know what the schools listed are best known for as far as their programs?</p>

<p>I don’t know if that will help you as much as you getting an idea of what you would like to do at a school. They all have accounting, but perhaps some schools offer internships and other opportunities that you would like. It would be ideal if you could visit the different schools, talk to faculty and other students. Many of them have open houses for minority students as part of their diversity initiative. Now would be a good time to contact admissions to get on mailing lists for college visits and information.</p>

<p>Agree with Penny…
Also, go to CollegeSearch here on this site. Input the information you are posting here and colleges that you might want to consider will come up. BUT, this process is MUCH MORE than Q and A on this site. You have to go to open houses, meet with counselors, visit schools when at all possible. You will find ourself going in circles here on the site. It is a great place to get follow up information, but you have to do some other leg work to get the information you are seeking. What avenues have you gone down thus far? Have you visited any colleges or met with your counselor or gone to college fairs? Have you talked with your family about realistic expectations regarding cost and location?
Those are some things that usually come early in the game.
T</p>

<p>Well my parents say costs come first, but I believe that I will get merit scholarships, so I can’t really go by costs right now . I’ve met with my counselor when I registered for my classes next year and she recommended A&t (definitely not on my list) she only did this because of this program they have that enters a new prospective on accounting. I want to aim big… But also be comfortable where I go.</p>

<p>Not sure if it is too late, but if you are aiming ‘high’ (and be careful of this as I agree with those who said you want a school that fits, first and foremost) one thing you should be doing this summer, if possible, is going to some competitive summer programs for high performing students.
Howard University has some strong accounting based and science based programs
Notre Dame has a fully paid for fly in program for top students (current juniors)
USC(Carolina, not Cali) has a paid for business program in their very strong business school, Graduate program
Carolina invited minorities in the top 10% of their classes with strong standardized test scores to their campus last summer, after the sophomore year, and again this year for those finishing junior year.
All of the service academies have programs this summer for current juniors that are very affordable.
Economics for Leaders is another affordable one (usually) offered at many colleges in the Us.
In your state of NC, Summer Ventures is a TOP choice for top students…fully funded and takes place at one of the state schools.
Then, there are the BIG ones like Clarke Scholars and Telluride.
Many kids who will be competing for merit money are plugging through these programs this summer to get a feel for various college campus setting and to strengthen their student resume for merit consideration.
These are not at all mandatory, but can help. If your counselor or others have not directed you to summer options, you might want to speak with them immediately. If you go to Summer Programs here on this site, you will see how much time and effort students are putting to get into these, especially the low and no cost very competitie ones.
Hope this helps. We’ve had good advice on this end and I feel a responsibility to share!
The above things don’t at all guarentee merit money or better college admissions results. But you will get TO schools and around many kids who are also motivated. That counts for a lot.
T</p>

<p>Thanks a lot! One of my friends said she went to this program at UNC that she was recommended to and she’s a senior. She went last year. I think she said it was free and she stayed like a weekend at the school. I’m in the top ten percent of my class…so we’ll see. I think I might apply to UNC Pembroke. I’ve looked at the website, but do you have some insight on it. Also I plan on taking AP Art next year and my art teacher recommended me to attend a summer program at UNC school for the arts, but I don’t plan on pursuing arts in the future. Do you think it’s worth the time or the money? Thanks!</p>

<p>I have a 2.9 GPA and 26 ACT. Do I have a chance at any universities?</p>

<p>I don’t know cause you have a medium GPa with a good act…what are you considering?</p>

<p>tiaram- your parents have discussed their concerns about finances. If you have not done so already, now is the time to discuss with them how much they are able to contribute, and the different kinds of financial aid-grants, loans, need based, merit. Each college approaches this differently. There are net price calculators on college websites, but these are estimates. You don’t have to give up “aiming big” as it is not possible to compare the costs of schools until acceptance, but be aware that the most selective schools award need based aid, but less merit aid. If you need merit aid, also include schools where such aid is more likely. Some may be automatic and some competitive. ECU has one for ACT>27. UNCG, Pembrook, UNCC have several different scholarships. NC A&T and NCCU offer generous scholarships to students with your grades and ACT>26/27 and I’m not sure but they might be automatic.If finances are a major concern, you might want to consider applying to the schools with automatic merit awards to students with your grades and scores so that you have at least one affordable college while waiting to hear about the others. Be sure to read all the financial aid information and pay attention to any deadlines or extra applications.
This is a long discussion on schools that offer merit aid- note that some may have changed since the beginning of the discussion:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/848226-important-links-automatic-guaranteed-merit-scholarships.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/848226-important-links-automatic-guaranteed-merit-scholarships.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank you Pennylane</p>

<p>Your counselor mentioned NC A&T. I’m not familiar with the school - and it may or may not be a good fit for you, but speaking of success, they have a Goldwater winner.
[NADINE</a> JANSEN FIRST A&T STUDENT GOLDWATER SCHOLAR - North Carolina A&T State University](<a href=“http://www.ncat.edu/news/2013/04/goldwater-scholar.html]NADINE”>http://www.ncat.edu/news/2013/04/goldwater-scholar.html)</p>

<p>To pennylane2011 that article was inspirational. Not to be somewhat biased…but it’s amazing to see African Americans like me who are willing to aspire at higher goals. For instance, finding this website was a hassle but has answered so many questions for me!</p>

<p>I’m glad that it inspired you, and it is good to know that this student is achieving her goals. Your task is to find the best fit college for your success. Obviously students seek a good college by reputation, but beyond that are opportunities like mentors, and internships. Cost is part of the picture-excess debt and financial strain aren’t condusive to success.
Doing an art summer activity will enrich you even if you don’t major in it. You may still take it in college as an interest. When colleges seek a diverse student body, they are also looking for diversity in interests and backgrounds. It’s also OK to have a summer job and save for college. IMHO, doing what interests you will show a college who you are, and it’s best to do things that reflect genuine interest.
“Fit” is individual. If you apply to several colleges that are a good fit for you- and this includes financial fit- you will hopefully have choices by next spring. It’s hard not to listen to peers- who is going/applying where, who is partying somewhere, but if you focus on what is good for you, investigate the schools you think you would like, you will hopefully find colleges where you will succeed.
There is a lot of information on this site, but also look at the info on the college websites and visit them. Talk to faculty there in your area of interests, other students in groups and clubs that interest you, and go to open house events for prospective students.
Also, get some good SAT/ACT study guide books and work on them this summer and take both tests again early in the fall- because many schools have early deadlines for scholarships.</p>

<p>Thank you, BIG HElP !</p>

<p>What is the equivalence of an 1130 say(cr’m)?</p>

<p>What is the question???</p>

<p>What is the equivalence of an 1130(critical reading+math) SAT to the ACT?</p>

<p>Most websites that equate SAT to ACT do so based on your FULL SAT score (CR+M+W).
What is your full score?
1130(critical reading+math) is fairly low, for scholarships and honor’s programs at least. The ones I have seen at non HBCUs requires at least 1350 (critical reading+math). Some of the better HBCUs or lower ranked state schools require at least 1250(critical reading+math).</p>

<p>You have time to get the score up. Take some practice tests this summer and go to a prep class if you can.
HSG</p>

<p>You must also. Consider that some of the schools i want to attend are in ms, where the standards parent so high…</p>