After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

My son is pretty nonchalant about this Phase III roommate selection. He is thinking he can just plop down in an open bed somewhere and will be happy with whomever is in the room. But from what I am reading, it sounds like most will enter Phase IV having paired with a roommate. Is that right? Do very many fly solo into Phase IV? How hard should I be trying to persuade him to reach out to someone with a profile that is a close match?

Great question but I applaud your son. Do not worry about it. I would say let him do him. If he’s pretty easy going (like most guys), then let him learn how he handles the uncertainty, the adjustment and possibly make a life long friend in the process.

2 Likes

Both of my sons went potluck for roommates and it worked out just fine. My other two sons (one at main campus and one in Galveston) are doing the same.

3 Likes

I was just going to reply posting this info! Glad you figured it out. My daughter isn’t selecting a roommate so we have that unchecked. But if you want to select a roommate you need to check it to move forward with Phase III process.

1 Like

For those who may have recently received Blinn TEAM offer, be sure to join this page. Answer all questions, parents/adults only (no students).

2 Likes

My DS has been checking the event registration for the MPE exam almost daily and still nothing posted. Has anyone been able to register for the MPE exam yet? If so, can you let us know if we are looking in the wrong place. He followed the link and it leads him to the event registration page but there are no dates listed for the fall 2022 admits. It still says Spring 2022 admits but doesn’t have dates for those either. It’s approaching mid-March and we don’t want to miss the registration if they’ve posted. Thanks.

I honestly think it’s too early, doubt it has opened up yet. And if it’s a proctored MPE, they have to allow enough spots for every student taking it. Just has to be taken by NSC, you’ve got plenty of time.

It’s not open yet, they’ll send an email when it is open

Quick question that maybe you or someone else could answer
daughter just got confirmation to Blinn TEAM on 3/8 and paid housing deposit right away. She is on the waitlist, so will she just be put in an open bed or will she move into Phase III to select a roommate? Guidance is GREATLY appreciated for anyone who has had to deal with housing waitlist.

@Kathryn_Craig Wait List won’t slide into Phase 3, and even if they find a roomie, Wait List students can’t be pulled up. At the end of dorm selection, those on Wait List will either be placed in any open rooms left OR they’ll wait for TAMU to let them know the next steps.
Wait List doesn’t go thru regular dorm selection.
If your student does get placed in a room, assuming it’s still during the ‘open period’, then they can try to switch around to get a different dorm.
There will be plenty of off campus rooms available. Once you sign a lease, you are bound
no getting out of an off campus lease.
March 8 isn’t that late, I’d wait it out and see if your student doesn’t get a bed.

Is there a recommended date that I should start looking at off-site housing if she does not get placed? I remember reading somewhere that all students on the housing waitlist were given a bed last school year. I know this year is completely different, so I am trying to plan accordingly.

Thank you!

@Kathryn_Craig the current freshman definitely didn’t all get a bed last year. In fact, I think some may still be in overflow rooms. Floors in a Corps dorm were converted to non-reg, to accommodate the mass that wanted to live on campus.
ResLife should be communicating with Wait List students. I’d say wait until June 1? BUT, get confirmation from ResLife that you can indeed get out of Housing contract (May 1 is the deadline to get out w/o having to pay, but it’s different for those on WaitList).
There is ALWAYS plenty of super close off campus housing available.

1 Like

Thank you so much for that information, as this will allow me to better prepare my husband. I’m fine with her finding a roommate and having offsite housing, but my husband is not so keen to the idea. I’m going to start preparing him just in case. Thank you so much!

1 Like

My daughter was able to register for the proctored MPE for Engineering students this morning.

4 Likes

So @Kathryn_Craig is your daughter Temp List or Wait List? I read a thread this morning, asking your same question. There’s Temp List, which is guaranteed a spot on campus, then it moves to Wait List, which is not guaranteed a spot. Doesn’t mean a bed won’t open up, but it does put student farther down the list. I believe you can see her status on Howdy Portal-Temp List or Wait List.
It would definitely be worth a call to ResLife, to find out exactly how many Temp List are ahead of her.

She is wait list, and I was able to have some detailed conversations with Housing. Due to her being on wait list, we are going to have her live at Campus Village apartments. We were planning on moving her into an apartment her sophomore year once she got settled in. We were told that overflow housing, if she could get it, would include converting TV rooms or even study lounges into housing. We want her to be able to better focus on academics, and found that Campus Village fosters academics, yet still allows her to have fun and meet people. (Plus, it is A LOT cheaper than on campus living and MUCH nicer!)

2 Likes

@Kathryn_Craig probably a good thing you went ahead and found an off site spot. I forgot Temp List was before Wait List. Last year (so this current freshman class) MANY didn’t get a spot in the dorm, some were Overflow all Fall semester (converted closets, study lounges, etc).

One thing I read often about Campus Village is, the units aren’t terribly clean when moving in. Take lots of photos, to document everything, so you can dispute bogus damage charges upon move-out (happens at most complexes, not just Campus Village). Take plenty of cleaning supplies for move-in.
Hopefully Campus Village is on the A&M bus line?? That’s critical. Not sure how they can claim to foster academics
wouldn’t put a lot of stock in that😅 I’ve heard the pool/lazy river is great tho!

1 Like

Thank you, my DS registered for his proctored exam yesterday afternoon as well.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when we will be getting our dorm selection times?

Dorm selection times come out in April. Everyone gets them at the same time, you’ll have a little advance notice before dorm selection begins.

2 Likes