After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

Can you get a single room and still be in an Llc?

@martinezcs Hullabaloo has a few single rooms (you should be able to snag one easily, since you paid deposit so early yesterday), Davis-Gary is all private rooms, I think (very old dorm, BUT I love the style & vibe, very retro, all female), next door to Hullaballo. Other than that, not sure if there are any single rooms anywhere else. Your girl is Viz? Not even sure if there is a Viz LLC? If there is, it would be small, most likely in an old dorm, so doubtful any single rooms available. Highly recommend spending time on the ResLife website, ā€˜touringā€™ all the dorms-Northside vs Southside, then make a trip to campus between now and spring break to take an actual campus tour. Be sure to make a reservation.
Personally, I donā€™t really get the hype of LLC. I guess they look good on paper, not sure how popular they really are. My kid wanted to meet a slew of new friends, not live and go to class with the same people.

2 Likes

Thanks! When it comes time to select rooms- do we actually get to select the room and keep it? So when we log in if there is a single available in hart or walton for example and she selects it, does she have it? I know the contract said private rooms arenā€™t guaranteed. But if they are available when you pick, is it yours or could it change? Asking because my daughter really wants a private room. Hart, Walton, Hughes, Hullabaloo all have single rooms (not a lot, but some). If there is a chance they will change it on her she may just do white creek instead but sheā€™d prefer to not be that far away from everything.

Thanks. I was more referring LLCs in general, if anyone has any experience with them. Overall, do students like them? Do they actually increase a sense of community? Are the associated activities with them good, or end up with poor turn out? Really just wondering how worth it they are.

@martinezcs when she logs in, she can view every single bed available on campus. She is able to grab/snatch/claim the exact bed/room she wantsā€¦and it is hers when she ā€˜checks outā€™, so to speak! Sheā€™ll have her time frame, itā€™s like 10 minutes, that she can shop around, but she can instantly claim a spot if she sees one she wants. Itā€™s a CRAZY process, and you will be soooo thankful you went ahead and paid the $75 to guarantee her the early time. Everyone has a specific time frame they can log in, but you canā€™t log in earlier than your time-if that makes sense. So those with a later time frame can only view whatā€™s left. The later the acceptance, the fewer choices. Hullabaloo and Northside Modulars will most likely be full by end of day 2 of dorm selection.

1 Like

@DSWM i really only hear Engineering LLC being popular. The others tend to be very small, can be odd and random-being honest. Engineering is huge.

1 Like

We visited during the summer and toured the campus and the dorms. Hence my concerns. :sweat_smile:

You also have the option of cancelling your on-campus housing contract and going off campus. If it is cancelled by May 1 you just lose the $75 deposit, and if cancelled between May 1-31 it is $500? and goes up from there. I do believe on-campus is great for freshman, especially if they have a friend from HS to live with. This was great for oldest (2 years in Hobby) but youngest was off campus from the get-go - a good fit for him. Congratulations!

1 Like

Touring dorms is totally different once they have been accepted. Itā€™s a different perspective, especially to narrow it down to Northside vs Southside, know the specific dorms wanted, and youā€™re in the drivers seat for best dorm selection time. You can walk around the exterior of the dorms for view (to avoid dumpster, facing Northgate, stuff like that), write down which sides you prefer, see the bathrooms, storage, size of rooms, etc. Worth the trip, trust me.
That way, when your selection time opens, you will know EXACTLY which specific room she wants, and go directly to it. Leg work & prep pays off.

*My student & roomie wanted to face Kyle Field, and they got the exact room in Hullabaloo that faced it. They did all kinds of research and had 1st selection time.

3 Likes

Is not being able to pick a specific room applicable to all LLCs, specifically Engineering LLC?

Interestingly, the website lists two types of Engineering LLCs ā€“ General Engineering and Honors Engineering. However, we got a ResLife email last night (since we checked the box indicating interest) that listed a third LLC ā€“ Women in Engineering. My D is asking for more info since we think itā€™ll be new next year. (Glad we opted in to get emails since we wouldnā€™t have learned this from the website currently.)

2 Likes

@NDTA96 honestly donā€™t know anything about Engineering LLC, other than the ā€˜Engineering Villageā€™ is popular. My kid is Mays, lived in Hullabaloo. I will tell you, every single kid on their hall in Hulla was either Mays or Engineering, and almost all Honors. So donā€™t think Engineering HAS to live in the ā€˜Engineering Villageā€™.
Every LLC has their own requirements.
There are 2 Aggie Parent FB pages that can be a wealth of knowledge (and also WAY too much info at times :crazy_face:) and there are also pages for Mays Parents only, Viz Parents, and definitely join the Engineering Parents Page. No rush, pace yourself. Thatā€™s where youā€™ll get all the good tips on stuff like LLC, which classes to avoid taking at A&M, how many hours to take as a freshman, etc.

1 Like

Engineering LLCā€™s letā€™s you pick the room. It is just from a smaller block of rooms. Roommates are limited to those in the same LLC.

2 Likes

Whoop!!! got the official letter today! He is into Mays! Whoop!

9 Likes

@52AG82 , we understand Engineering students live everywhere. Back in the day, I lived in the Commons on the Southside (where Engineering LLC is) and my now-wife lived on the Northside, so weā€™re familiar with various dormsā€™ pros/cons. And while Hullabaloo is very nice (we toured it during Aggieland Saturday, along with revisiting other dorms), itā€™s not for everyone (we know friends whose kids lived there). Bottom line: People have different personality types, preferences, goals, and budgets; they need to find what fits them best.

Thanks for the reminder to join the Aggie Parent FB pages. (Not an FB user, but Iā€™ll ask my wife.)

2 Likes

@NDTA96 i hear ya. Iā€™m not an Aggie, but my husband is. Seems itā€™s all about Southside vs Northside. He was a Northside guy, so he was pretty passionate his kid lived Northside.
I will say, of the LLCā€™s, by far, Engineering seems to be the most popular, organized. I donā€™t hear a thing about the other LLCā€™s.
Your wife will definitely will want to join the Engineering Parent Page, and the main Aggie Parent Pages-so much helpful info.

Iā€™ll say this to the benefit of others trying to decide on dorms. While there is a different vibe between Southside and Northside, there are many other factors.

A big one to us (and it might not be to others) is the Commons dining hall. It was super convenient for me to go downstairs to eat without leaving the building.

My wife, on the other hand walked down the block from her dorm to eat at Sbisa. Most of the time it was fine, but sometimes when she got back to her dorm tired after classes, and then it got dark (or raining) and she had no one to go eat with her, she just didnā€™t feel like going back out to eat. So she skipped some of her paid meals. And probably had a less than healthy diet eating cup oā€™ noodles.

Again, everyone is different so examine yourselves and see what fits you, but I just thought Iā€™d share that perspective.

4 Likes

Dorm selections seems to always be the parents biggest fear. We want them to be comfortable. We care way more than they do.

Please take my advice on thisā€¦ do not stress. Let the student take control of this process. They will grow so much during the first year. Let them be the ones to work through the process. Take the stress off of yourselves. You gave them an amazing foundation and home for 18 years. Advise them but let them worry about it. They will be okay. Pinky promise. Being uncomfortable is a good thing.

This comes from a place of been there and done that plus watched this thread for 5 years.

9 Likes

deleted

To your point about touring dorms again. My daughter just received an invite to go for National Scholars Day. It will be from 9-3. It is mostly focused on meeting the other national scholars and departmental and college information sessions and tours and information about the scholarship. I donā€™t think it will include general campus and dorm tours because we got that this summer at the National Scholar Invitational Summer Parent Program. But we should be able to peek in the dorms we are considering afterwards and to your point figure out sides we prefer etc. So are the dorms open access during the day? Can we wander in the dorms by ourselves? Or should we be contacting the dorm people and asking for another tour for after the event- at 3 or so?

I wonder how this will be different than the invitational this summer when we had panels with the department heads and students, heard about scholarships and honors program.

1 Like