Aggie Gateway Student

So I’ve been admitted through Gateway. I know I’ll begin my semester as a general studies major and will need to transfer later on the year. Initially, I applied for mechanical engineering. I’m not sure if I still want to do that, it’s either that or finance. How hard will it be for me to transfer into Dwight College of Engineering or Mays School of business?

Not sure about Engineering, but here is a link to the current requirements for Mays (don’t know if there will be any changes for 2016, so be sure to get the one that applies to your year, when the time comes):

https://tap.tamu.edu/main/business/BUAD2015.pdf

The requirements are very strict, so be sure to track everything to the letter, and don’t ignore the “additional info” at the bottom. I say this because my son was given bad info by his GEST advisors and almost missed getting into Mays. One of them told him that he could take the second math course at community college (it was the last course he needed, and he SPECIFICALLY asked if he needed to take it on campus during summer and was told no) and they also told him his one-hour General Honors seminar course counted toward the 60 hours and it didn’t, which meant he was an hour short but if he took another course, he’d be two hours over. He was denied as a result, and had to go through a stressful appeals process. I recommend following up all GEST meetings with an email confirming anything you are told, and keep their replies.

BTW, he loves Mays and has received excellent advising since transferring. Good luck to you!