ahh help!!!

<p>A little bit about myself first; you know how the deal goes: High school junior located in central new york, 94 unweighted average, 3 ap classes so far, honors society, roughly in the top 20% of my class of around 500, did cross contry for a year but not much else to do with school, played a lot of league sports, did a lot of church activites, played the piano since about age 10. Pretty much im sticking with state schools and my heart is set on geneseo. First off would this seem reasonable to get accepted there?</p>

<p>ok after that is answered here is my dilema. so I took the SAT for the first time right? guess what, I got a freakin 1120 on the math and english sections!! do I suck at life or what? thats like atleast 100 points less than geneseo's criteria. The next SAT i could take is in october which is right before early dec. is due so idk if id be able to take it then. Luckly i signed up for the june act and from what ive read geneseo accepts either right?</p>

<p>Anyways I just need some help and suggestions from maybe ppl that have already gotten accepted to guide me on what to do here to have the best possible chance to get in. I slept over night during siblings weekend b/c my cousin attends there and I love the place. I also plan on majoring in physics and geneseo supposedly has one of the largest programs in the nation!? anyways any help on test taking or acceptance advice would be great!!! thanks......</p>

<p>First of all, I do not think we have the largest physics program in the country. You may know that Geneseo is in the process of trying to become an honor college, which means they either have to hire more faculty or decrease the number of students, and guess which one of those two is easier to accomplish? (I hope you picked less students). Therefore, it is going to get tougher to get in. Second, getting into Geneseo is pretty close to a crab shot because there are people here with totally different academic backgrounds. I also heard from one of my professors, who is very close to the administration, that if you included everyone from the waitlist, the average SAT score would not change for the school...that is how competitive the applicant pool is. From the stats you gave, you sound like an average student here, but of course still try to get as high as possible on the SATs.</p>

<p>CAnt you take the SAT again?</p>

<p>i got an 1110 (90 gpa) and i was waitlisted, meanwhile my friend who got like an 1070 and has a 97-98 GPA was rejected. i have no idea. just take it again and aim for 600 on each section. if you apply ED you have a better shot also. try to impress them with good recs and all of that jazz.</p>

<p>Yeah I can take it again actually....</p>

<p>I have 2 days left to sign up for the june SAT and idk if I should. It's kind of disheartening to find out that it'll be harder to get in? What are they usually looking for the most when one applys?</p>

<p>GPA and SAT. i don't think extra curriculars / award matter so much because i know people who didn't fill out the extra thing and got in anyway</p>

<p>ok well i have the gpa i think? its around a 94 unweighted and im in 2 ap's and 2 honors at the moment so the weight will be a bit more? any suggestions on boosting my SAT score?</p>

<p>are you applying ED? what is your individual math and verbal scores? i have no idea how to study, i think all you can really do is get to know the method of taking the test. studying really does nothing, unless you want to just take a practice SAT book from the library because those might help boost ya 50 points.</p>

<p>im really looking into ed b/c im pretty confident geneseo is the place to be for me but idk if its a smart move err? will it help any to go ed? btw my math and verbal were only in the 500's, not to great i can tell you that right now lol.</p>

<p>i did ed and got waitlisted but my stuff wasn't great. however, if you get both up near the 600s (580-590 on each) you'll probably have a good shot at getting in. just own with the essay and stuff.</p>

<p>Well, I got in...with an 87 average...so the whole "competitive" thing might be a bit of a stretch. I imagine that if you work hard enough and have a good enough essay, your SAT's will matter a lot less. Remember, that score is what the middle 50 percent get, not the set limit. People get higher and lower.
Also, you can take the SAT's again in October, November and December, and Geneseo will accept them. The first time I took my SAT's (last May), I got a 1290 on the combined sections...but then again, I got the easy questions. ;)
Don't sweat too much about those Standarized Tests. Just remember that you can always take them again, and hey...if Geneseo doesn't work out, I hear that McDonald's is hiring. :P</p>

<p>hah thanks for the humor that made it a lot easier for me lol. Anyways Im taking both the SAT and ACT in june so if i do well on those and finish off the year strong I should be good to go i think.</p>