Airport Shuttle 5/30

<p>I called to book a shuttle for 5/30 with Executive Shuttle and they are closed on Memorial Day. There was no answer at Birmingham Door to Door.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Does anyone know approx. how much a cab costs?</p>

<p>A ton. ($60-75, if not more)</p>

<p>IMHO, Amtrak is a viable solution here- it’s roughly $15 from Bham to Tuscaloosa, and the cab fare from the airport to the train station is under $10.</p>

<p>^^^Wow, that’s a great idea. I never thought of that!</p>

<p>The only problem with Amtrak is that it only runs once a day (around noon) to/from Tuscaloosa. You’ll have to time your flight accordingly. </p>

<p>Lil bro used it last year for his return trip back to B’ham from Bama bound and had no issues. Between the cost of the train tickets and cab fares you’re looking at around $75 roundtrip</p>

<p>Anybody able to decipher the B’ham bus schedule out there? There has to be a bus that runs from the Airport to the Amtrak station (or thereabouts). The only other piece to this puzzle would be getting from/to the Amtrak station in Ttown and the University.</p>

<p>If I remember, the one time S used the shuttle for a visit it was $80 one way. So a cab might be a viable option. I will have to try and get an exact price as a fall back option. Most of the flights are connecting from our area, and you can sometimes can’t count on the arrival time.</p>

<p>Maybe there is a student/RA/ ??? who would do it for the fee?</p>

<p>I tried finding the limo service we used a few times and could not! I hope they are not out of business or just not serving Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>you might check with one of the hotels in T-town and see what they recommend.</p>

<p>I’ve looked at the bus schedule and the only bus that goes near the airport stops at the road that leads to the airport and not the terminal itself. Looks to still be about a mile walk to the terminal. </p>

<p>A cab from the airport to Amtrak will cost around $20 with tip and takes about 10 minutes.</p>

<p>A cab from the Amtrak station in Tuscaloosa to campus costs around $15 with tip and takes about 10 minutes. </p>

<p>You can call ahead while on the train and have a cab waiting for you or you can call once you get to the station. </p>

<p>The biggest issue as I said before is the schedule. </p>

<p>The train from B’ham to Tuscaloosa leaves at 12:03pm and arrives 1:14pm. </p>

<p>The train from Tuscaloosa to B’ham leaves at 12:49pm and arrives at 2:32pm. (I have no idea why the train to B’ham takes 32 more minutes than the train from B’ham).</p>

<p>With Bama Bound sessions ending by Noon you’ll have no problem getting a cab to the station in time. You’ll just have to schedule your flight home no earlier than 4:00pm</p>

<p>BTW, there is also Greyhound. They run a bus around 4 or 5 times a day and it actually seems to take less time than the train. </p>

<p>The greyhound station in Tuscaloosa is on McFarland at the BP station about 2 miles South of Skyland blvd.</p>

<p>There really is no excuse for B’ham not to have public transportation to and from the airport. Maybe if they ever get a decent Mayor he’ll fix this issue.</p>

<p>Executive Shuttle Network has responded to my email. I guess it will depend on the number of passengers they’ll need to shuttle to see if it is worthwhile for them to operate on Memorial Day. Stay tuned…</p>

<p>DD and I will be flying into BHM on 5/30 at 3:50pm and we’re renting a car. Let me know if we can help.</p>

<p>Executive Shuttle just told me they have a shuttle available for 5/30. </p>

<p>Here’s the quote:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My son might be interested.</p>

<p>Hi,
Awesome! Thank-you!!
Would your son be interested in sharing a shuttle?
Who did you talk to at e:shuttle?
I have my son, Nick, flying in at 4:00 and another student, Davis, flying in at 4:30.
What time is your son flying in?
BTW You can contact Jane Batson to verify Nick is a good kid.=)
Becky</p>

<p>Yorba,</p>

<p>The email I got was from Bill. email - <a href="mailto:info@eshuttle.net">info@eshuttle.net</a></p>

<p>I haven’t purchased the ticket yet. He may be interested. I’ll get back to you when I know. I’m guessing setting up a 5:30-6 pm time frame from B’ham would be good. Return from T’town on 6/1 might be good about noonish.</p>

<p>I’ll let you know as soon as I get my son interested in pursuing details.</p>

<p>My son does not arrive at BHM until 7:27 PM on 05/30
His return flight is scheduled for THURSDAY at 9:00 AM on 06/02 * at the time I booked his flight, my older son at BAMA thought he would be still on campus and would fly home for the younger ones graduation and would drive to the airport together. </p>

<p>So much for planning ahead. </p>

<p>If I change the return flight on Delta, it will cost at least $150 plus the difference of fares available.<br>
I am also considering booking a one way return flight on Southwest for $154.90 on 06/01 at 6:15 PM. </p>

<p>Does anyone have a late afternoon flight on 06/01? My son has a meeting scheduled on 06/01 at 1:30 PM and should be ready to leave campus by 2:30 PM. I’m looking for someone to share a shuttle back to the airport.</p>

<p>Please send me a PM or email me at <a href="mailto:jccquilts@aol.com">jccquilts@aol.com</a></p>

<p>Yorba2 -
the other guy, Davis from SoCal? looks like he is one of DSs roommates next year. Since DS (an upperclassman) will be bringing his car that’s a huge transport option avail. for the future, esp. if the SoCal kids coordinate flights.</p>

<p>When I called the toll-free number for eShuttle and asked them if they were running shuttles on 5/30, they said they weren’t. I emailed them earlier and never got a response.</p>

<p>Do you think the person I talked to on the phone might have been mistaken?</p>

<p>I am Davis’ Dad and as mentioned his scheduled arrival on 5/30/11 is at 4:30 p.m. Please contact me at either 619-977-2179 or <a href="mailto:hovlandsteve@hotmail.com">hovlandsteve@hotmail.com</a> if interested in sharing transportation. I checked on cabs it’s $4.50 first mile, then $2.00 per mile after that from Birmingham. So I figure $125 which would not be to bad if split between 2 or 3 kids. My name is Steve.</p>

<p>*When I called the toll-free number for eShuttle and asked them if they were running shuttles on 5/30, they said they weren’t. I emailed them earlier and never got a response.
*</p>

<p>I would call again. They may have thought you were asking about the regular Bama scheduled shuttles that are scheduled around holidays.</p>

<p>That would explain why they would say that they weren’t “running shuttles”.</p>

<p>^ ditto that about eshuttle. I’ve found they’ll run a car when they have people who need it. They were VERY accommodating during the blizzard last winter break.</p>

<p>Bamasd - PM me if your son wants to know how to contact my son :)</p>