Airport Shuttle Changes

<p>Okay guys, I have been in contact with UA about airport shuttle concerns and prospective changes for quite a while now. The correspondence has gone back and forth and there is good news…there will be now be a 4am airport shuttle for Friday March 22nd. </p>

<p>Now, before you shoot the messenger…I know it may be too late in the process for those of us who have already purchased airline tickets. I have told UA that this might be the case and not to expect too many “takers” this time around, but that is only because some of us have already made our purchases. I asked that they please keep this option going forward. One of my major concerns has been the scheduling of these earlier shuttles; so that our students can take the less expensive early flights and make easier/quicker connections. This is most definitely needed for those students traveling longer distances. Well, they have finally heard our concerns and have reacted positively. I hope that we can have additional early shuttles added (additional days).</p>

<p>However, please note: if you go to the website the 4am shuttle is NOT currently listed. I have alerted UA to this and have been assured that the shuttle is approved. I would expect to see the change listed by midweek at the latest. I will keep my eye on this.</p>

<p>In addition, I had compiled various other issues that concerned our students by listening to you all, and corresponding with you. I will list the answers here. Answers/questions have been edited for clarification.</p>

<p>Q: Over crowding luggage and students on shuttles
A: This should not occur unless students are getting on shuttles they do not have a reservation for or they are not telling us how much luggage they have.
Drivers should allow students on the bus that have a reservation for that time. Once those students have been accommodated, if there is room, others can get on. </p>

<p>Q: The baggage capacity should be raised, many OOS students need to bring items home to offload clothes/gear in spring break and/ or bring winter gear back during Christmas break.
A: When the reservation is made, there is a place to indicate how much luggage the student will have. Email reminders are sent stating that if a student will have additional luggage they was not originally stated, they need to let us know. Additional luggage that is not indicated takes up space for a passenger and thus can overcrowd the bus. </p>

<p>Q: Consider revising drop off - a central drop off at the hub leaves quite a distance for the students to schlep their luggage. Have several drop-off locations close to each residence location; ie: one drop-off for Ridgecrest, one for Lakeside etc.
A: When school is open, Crimson Ride is available for students to take. However, the Crimson Ride office is going to look into having the bus make a loop of the perimeter of campus in order to drop students off close to the residence halls. </p>

<p>Q: Have a standard wait-time for late arrivals at airport and publish that time.
A: Buses are supposed to wait ten minutes and no longer.</p>

<p>Q: Have a procedure in place to pick-up students whose planes are delayed or changed. The airport schedule could be monitored by having students log in their flight information when they purchase tickets or have it be a requirement to call in (a parent can do this when the student is en-route) to inform the central station of the delay.
A: There is a number to call if flight is delayed.The reservation system will not allow you to go back in and make changes.
**Note: I have to clarify if this number is readily available</p>

<p>Q: Have the policies on web site be consistent with actual practice. Many people get conflicting answers to questions when they call.)
A: UA could not answer this for me without additional information.
**Note: This was a general complaint that I received from parents, but I would need additional info on specifics in order to have this answered. That is why it is a great idea for parents to contact UA Housing which oversees the UA Airport Shuttle to email about individual/specific problems.</p>

<p>Q: Give refunds to students who miss the UA shuttle due to no fault of their own; delayed plane, cancelled flight, illness with proof.
A: Refunds have been provided with documentation.</p>

<p>Q: Have emergency procedures in place for real problems such as the ice storm which occurred in 2011. I would revisit that situation and be prepared in the future for storms or other occurrences and have those emergency procedures published on web site as well.
A: Emails will be sent.</p>

<p>Q: Look into the feasibility of running a continuous shuttle service throughout the day. (This would be for breaks).
A: UA does not have manpower or buses for this and would not be able to keep costs as low if they did. There are private services if necessary. </p>

<p>Q: Advertise your UA Shuttle service through posters, flyers or a spot on the MYBAMA page…more students, more income, more shuttles. Students can travel comfortably and safely.
A: UA does advertise through fliers, posters and they are checking into Mybama ad.</p>

<p>Q. Could the online scheduling program be more flexible by accommodating changes in scheduling. i.e.:There are XXX open seats on bus XXX, choose which bus you would like to change to.
A: Because we do not have an unlimited number of drivers or buses, we have to have a cut- off date/time in order to reconcile the database and inform Crimson Ride of the number or potential riders and the amount of luggage.
This can not be accomplished at this time.</p>

<p>Hope this gives parents answers they were looking for. I would suggest that if the early shuttle times work for your students to use it, so that it will be retained in the future.</p>

<p>Wow! Thanks so much for being an advocate for us all!</p>

<p>robotbldmom - BRAVO! Standing Ovation! </p>

<p>I did send one measly letter but had zero response and I did not follow up. <hangs head="" in="" shame="">. Sorry.</hangs></p>

<p>What a tremendous help for OOS students. Much appreciated, robotbldmom!</p>

<p>Great news for students who fly.
I am wondering, since all this changes are going on, if something could be done to assist OOS students who go home via bus.
We live in TN and so far we either picked up DS or he got a ride. It would be nice, and I suggested this to UA, if the shuttle could make a stop, at the Tuscaloosa Greyhound bus station and at the Megabus stop in Birmingham. I do not think that these stops would add much travel time to the route and the shuttle could stop at these additional stops only if tickets are sold. This would give peace of mind to students if they cannot find a ride. I had to make the drive to pick up DS and turn around the same day. Sometimes rides just do not work out…</p>

<p>Thanks Robotbldmom for doing this…it is very much appreciated!</p>

<p>Thank you very much for doing this. I’d love to take the 4am shuttle if I knew about it in December as Spring Break flights generally become much more expensive after January 1st. The 4am shuttle works great for the 6:45 am flight to Atlanta, which allows students to arrive at their home airport between 10am and 1pm.</p>

<p>Oh, shucks you’re all making me blush :slight_smile: and You’re all very welcome!!</p>

<p>SEA_tide, you are right, I would have also availed myself of the less expensive earlier flights had I known that they were going to add the 4am shuttle.</p>

<p>I am asking if everyone who is still interested in the early shuttles send a quick email to UA to let them know that you will definitely use or consider using the earlier shuttle service in the future. I have requested that they not gauge the future usage by this break’s statistics, as this news comes late and many of us have already made travel plans.
Thanks
Roll Tide</p>

<p>Send emails to:
Elmore, Julie<br>
<a href=“mailto:jelmore@sa.ua.edu”>jelmore@sa.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Robotbldmom,
This is great news. The only daily direct flight from Birmingham to NYC is a 7am Delta flight to Laguardia. This 4am shuttle is a godsend.</p>

<p>^^^Agreed, please send follow up email indicating sustained interest.</p>

<p>Robotbldmom,
This is great news. The only daily direct flight from Birmingham to NYC is a 7am Delta flight to Laguardia. This 4am shuttle is a godsend. I just emailed Julie Elmore letting her know that starting next fall my DS will be using that shuttle every time he flies back home to NYC which if my DW has her way will be as often as possible.</p>

<p>^^^Great, I think the more interest generated, the more changes we can get accomplished. I would like to see early shuttles on several days of the break instead of just one.</p>

<p>Now if they had one for Saturday I’d have travel plans all checked off. Seems engineers always have those Friday classes.</p>

<p>^^^That is exactly the kind of feedback that UA will need. The more info we can provide, the more interest we can generate for the early shuttles, the better the response will be. Keep sending those emails. Please don’t forget to say thank you for the work in progress but let them know what your student’s needs are. Hopefully the early morning shuttle will get a good response in the future and it will be continued.</p>

<p>Update: I was informed that the 4am shuttle option is available when you enter the reservation system. The website will also be updated.</p>

<p>I just made reservations and did notice the 4:00 AM shuttle.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback.</p>

<p>Website updated:
Housing and Residential Communities
2012 - 2013 Birmingham Airport Shuttle Schedule</p>

<p>Spring Break
Thursday, March 21st, departures at 2pm, 5pm
Friday, March 22nd, departures at 4am, 6am, 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm
Saturday, March 23rd, departure at 9am</p>

<p>Pick Up
Sunday, March 31st, pick ups at 11am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 11pm</p>

<p>Robotbldmom: You are a doll for doing this. :)</p>