Airport Shuttle Question

<p>For Thanksgiving flights, the shuttle departs 8AM and 11AM on the 11/21. The flight times home on Delta are 10AM departures. This cuts it too close, right? I have never been to BHM so I don’t know how big the airport is. How long does it take the shuttle to get to the airport? On a holiday weekend, how many hours ahead should one arrive? No luggage will be checked. Thanks.</p>

<p>It is definitely cutting it close, but if you’re not checking a bag and you can print your boarding pass the night before, it might be possible. I have only taken the shuttle once, but it left on time and we were at the airport within an hour. Birmingham is pretty small and I have never experienced long lines at security (of course, this is coming from someone accustomed to flying out of Newark and JFK, which are huge). </p>

<p>If you post in one of the Facebook groups or just ask around to your friends, you can probably find someone going earlier or someone willing to drive you for around the same price you’d pay for the shuttle.</p>

<p>I think that would be cutting it close - especially during a holiday week. When we flew back from BB in early July the security line at Birmingham airport was backed up past the food court area and took about 45 mins to get through (Tuesday afternoon). You could use an outside shuttle service but that will be pricey. I’d try finding a ride - posting on Facebook groups, etc… is probably a good idea. In fact, my son will have a car down there and I will now be telling him to look for riders to share the cost when he drives to the airport to fly home.</p>

<p>Thanks. I guess there have been a few recent threads about this topic so sorry I didn’t look back.</p>

<p>we flew out of BHM in July- security line was VERY long but moved quickly we got thru it in 20 minutes- that is really cutting it close over a holiday…</p>

<p>As I’ve said in similar threads, I have done similar scheduling, but have also seen people miss flights and arrive much later than planned when doing this. Delta is generally good about helping those that arrive late via its “flat tire rule” (complementary and usually requires flying standby). If anything, the agents will try to work with you on a Same Day Confirmation (SDC) that will confirm you on alternate flights (there is a $50 charge for this). Flights can be full around Thanksgiving, so it pays to know flight schedules between Birmingham and your city.</p>

<p>The only con I had for the university was the distance from the school to the airport. I was assured by several school officials that the school shuttle would be great but the schedule does not match any of the flights going and coming from New York. My DS would be waiting 3 hours for a shuttle not to mention the 6:35 am flight had no shuttle. I spoke with Birmingham Door to Door and although it is more expensive they will pick the student up at their building and go directly to the airport. Coming home they will track the flight and be there when the plane lands. For one student it is $140 round trip but if someone else goes in the car they will discount. Man was very nice and accomodating. Their number is 205 591 5550. For peace of mind I am going to use this service. THey also recommend leaving 3 hours before your flight at holiday times.</p>

<p>You are right, the shuttle does not work well with New York’s less expensive flights (early morning/late evening) nor does it help to get a cheap ticket only to have to pay $140 for a private ride.
I have written to the UA Shuttle Service requesting some different times to be implemented but we need more voices to speak up. More students are attending from the Northeast and the various flights need to be accommodated. Not all of the private companies will pick up in the very early morning hours either, you need to check with each company. I have paid as high as $90 for a one way trip to the airport.</p>

<p>My son’s experience has been that the UA shuttle does not always leave BHM airport at the scheduled time for the return trip to Tuscaloosa. He’s had a flight come in at 12:40pm but was signed up for the 4:00pm shuttle, only to come out at 1:15 and find the 1:00pm shuttle still waiting at the curb. He was never given a hard time taking the earlier shuttle back to school.</p>

<p>On Time Transportation (205-956-0360) has also been a reliable ride for my son, thanks to a reference from another CC mom. The driver was at his dorm 20 minutes before the appointed time and waited patiently for my son to finish up and sign out of the dorm. The driver was polite and friendly and basically told me that he was able to do airport runs at any time of the day or night. In addition, he charged $65 ow (he was the only passenger for that trip) and my son left a tip besides. I think the price goes down if there are other people who share the ride.</p>

<p>Does the airport shuttle sell out?</p>

<p>Also how far in advance should you make a reservation on the shuttle?</p>

<p>I think i need to start a shuttle service-</p>

<p>UA guarantees that students will be able to get a seat on the airport shuttle. Sometimes the Crimson ride doesn’t schedule enough buses and it will take a couple minutes to find an available driver. If you ever have problems with the Crimson Ride’s handling of the shuttle, ask for Forrest or Darryl Jefferson, who are the supervisors of that department. UA Housing also appreciates any comments.</p>

<p>As for the lack of shuttles that meet the early and late flights, contact Housing and complain. I have asked for 3+ years that the shuttle times be changed accommodate more flights and have always been told that there is not enough interest. The shuttle times make it so I have to take redeye and evening flights from the west coast. Of all the flights I’ve taken in the last 3 years, only twice have I been in my home airport (Seattle) during the daylight hours.</p>

<p>I highly recommend On Time Transportation and will likely be using them if I can’t find someone to pick me up at the airport on the 17th.</p>

<p>Yes, I spoke to UA Transportation Services today about accommodating early/late flights for the growing OOS student population. The young lady I spoke to has only been working at UA for a few weeks, so of course she was unaware of the situation. Her manager was unavailable, but she will send me a followup e-mail as soon as possible. Try calling this number to request shuttle schedule changes 205-348-9647. Make your requests known and maybe some changes will be initiated.</p>

<p>Thanks SEA. Good to know that he has a place on the shuttle if he needs it. As of now, his flights really don’t work very well with it. He leaves too early in the morning. But the new bus service will work. I just hope they get a few of the kinks worked out by Thanksgiving. I’ll keep On Time Transportation on the list. Do you have pricing?</p>

<p>Thanks,
I’m running into the same problem, Southwest airlines has great fares, but there could be an issue with the shuttle times. For example one of the flights leaves BHM at 8:45 am, so he would not have time to take the shuttle.<br>
If they can add earlier shuttles, that would be great for OOS students.</p>

<p>Call, call, call and write e-mails, the more requests the better.</p>

<p>Bamabound7, if we in the Chicago area can organize our kids so that they can take the same flight to and from, we could arrange a private shuttle and split the costs equally. I think we have a better shot at that then trying to get the school to add more shuttles.</p>

<p>As a last resort for any of y’all on here, feel free to PM me if you need a ride to the airport. I didn’t have a car last year so I know how terrible it is. I’d be happy to help out anyone willing to cover the cost of gas, and I’ll probably be staying on campus for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>^^^What a nice offer…and a nice way to show UA hospitality!!</p>