AL.com - How many Bama students should be from outside Alabama?

<p>Yale is NOT a public institution.</p>

<p>No, obviously not. I was just emphasizing that universities provide other benefits to the community than education local students.</p>

<p>I realize that the money for merit scholarships for in-state and out-of-state students comes from profits from football, not from state revenues. But who pays for the expansion of seats at UA? Why should a state university system increase seats if it can’t fill a substantial portion of them with in-state students?</p>

<p>What do you mean by who pays for the expansion of seats? Do you mean who is paying for the add’l buildings? The fed gov’t paid for a good chunk of the 900,000 sq ft new Science and Eng’g Complex.</p>

<p>1. How many of these out-of-state students will stay in Alabama?
2. Education may not be the sole goal of a college but surely it’s the main goal!
</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Probably more than the students originally thought. Some may do internships/co-ops and fall into good paying jobs.</p></li>
<li><p>Yes.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Although the federal government may put up most of the cost of constructing the buildings, the university is responsible for additional operating costs created by adding buildings and increasing enrollment.</p>

<p>It’s obviously a balancing act, and it should change based on the population of the state. UNC, for instance, should accept a higher percentage of in-staters than Alabama, simply due to its high population.</p>

<p>"Although the federal government may put up most of the cost of constructing the buildings, the university is responsible for additional operating costs created by adding buildings and increasing enrollment. "</p>

<p>Right, and that’s why OOS students are charged more. Most OOS students do not get the big merit. Most OOS students pay full or near full freight.</p>

<p>^Very true. I feel that we forget that, since CC is very self-selecting.</p>

<p>I’m most cynical about how many students in Alabama want to go to UA for the academics vs how many want to go to join the Greek system, party, and go to the football games. </p>

<p>My S is instate and goes to class and is in a fraternity and pretty sure there are many OOS students in the Greek system… and apparently the Greek system is big at OTHER state schools!! It is a VERY southern thing so I am sorry that you are offended by it…</p>

<p>My son doesn’t follow football so we didn’t realize what a great team Alabama had until after he started (he now is an avid Crimson Tide fan). He did choose Alabama for the academics and scholarship. He is also not in the Greek system, although I am sure lots of OOS do go greek. We are very happy that S2 chose to go there, and are pretty sure that S3 will too. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>I believe that the answer to this question is best answered by administration. Is Alabama trying to be a great state flagship institution, or a national powerhouse in both sports and academics, which attracts the best and brightest students and faculty from across the US? If the answer is the former, than more IS students should be attending. If the answer is the latter, I think Bama has figured out the magic formula. They have enough merit aid offered to attract many of the nation’s top students and faculty from outside the state, while offering a top notch education and overall experience to those born and raised there.
I would love to see a comparison of Ivy League students in state versus out of state. Bama will NEVER reach top tier if they don’t focus on the top students, irregardless of where they were born. Sorry if I am offending people!</p>

<p>*If the answer is the former, than more IS students should be attending. *</p>

<p>The thing is, the state really doesn’t have enough instate kids to fill the seats. Qualified nstate kids aren’t being rejected. So, the issue isn’t “more” instate kids should be attending. </p>

<p>If the state’s politicians tried to put limits, the school would soon find itself with too many empty seats…and the school would shrink back to sub 20,000 numbers.</p>

<p>Oldmom, Just to correct a point you made earlier. The Athletic Dept. DOES provide a lot of scholarship money, but the great bulk of scholarship money still comes from the UA alumni and its major donors. UA has had the highest alumni giving rate for several years now, in US News’s annual rankings.</p>

<p>Why should a state university system increase seats if it can’t fill a substantial portion of them with in-state students?</p>

<p>Because at state univ’s mission isn’t only to educate the residents. Another mission is to serve the needs of the state. Since the state of Alabama has become a destination for many high-tech companies, the state needs more STEM students. So, the state needs more STEM graduates…so have its flagship become a destination school to provide those warm bodies. </p>

<p>The College of Eng’g has quadrupled its size. The new grads aren’t twiddling their thumbs; they’re getting well-compensated jobs.</p>

<p>Monday we found out our DD got a 30 on her Dec ACT (last opportunity for UA automatic scholarship considerations)! Thank you for the good thoughts and prayers my wonderful friend Mom2CollegeKids and CC well wishers! OMG kjcphmom, you must be from OOS because our family learned how big UA and AU football was with the first iron bowl after our move to AL in the early 1980’s (from TX) the shopping mall was sparse (Sat after Thanksgiving), and many at the mall were closely watching TV screens all set to the game! DD has worked very hard on moving her ACT score up - 17 tutoring sessions since July 1, lots of practice tests. DD had taken three local ACT prep courses over the last two years. Huge automatic scholarships at this school of choice (UA) to study civil engineering. Now she can enjoy her last semester at school, participate with UA Honor Band in Feb (her third time invited and attending) - told by UA marching band directors that they want her in the Million Dollar Marching Band (this will be a great experience since DD was not part of a big band program since 9th grade). Parents have to assess the maturity of their student, college choice, and choices re fraternity/sorority and other socialization while focusing on the first goal - academics and college education! hlsess, I believe a portion of students are at UA to focus on fun (that can be said for many college kids perhaps living away from home and not having skills in academics and self discipline, or getting pulled in with the wrong crowd). Napermom I do believe UA will continue to be the flagship school in AL although AU is a strong second. Not sure what the thought is in TX as TAMU (I am an alum with a graduate degree) now has more students than ut, and TAMU has now added a law school to round out educational opportunities. UA is growing just like TAMU is growing. ut is land-locked in Austin; TAMU, UA, and AU do not have those problems. When I attended TAMU in the early 1980’s, ut was always listed in the top 25 for their MBA program, but over time TAMU’s program got on the radar. VAmomof4 wishing you well with educating 4 students…I am so glad to just have two, with the youngest starting Fall 2014. Anyone going to the UA Capstone Scholars Day Jan 18, let me know :slight_smile: DD, dad and I will be there. I am the healthiest now since fall 2009 (successfully fought stage IIIa breast cancer, and just had major surgery in Dec for another medical problem, surgery was very successful). Looking forward to a great 2014, and Happy New Year to all of you!</p>

<p>Roll Tide for SOSDD!!!</p>

<p>Welcome to the Capstone!!!</p>

<p>Roll Tide for that cute D of yours! What good news!!!..and what a relief!!!</p>

<p>Free tuition and an increase in the eng’g award!</p>

<p>Congrats, SOSConcern! I totally understand your excitement and relief! After taking the ACT multiple times and working very hard to raise her score from a 29 to a 30, my daughter earned a 31 on the October test! :slight_smile: How nice it is to sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of her senior year…No heartburn for us now, huh? :)</p>

<p>Congratulations SOSConcern! May 2014 bring you and your family even more success.</p>

<p>I was wondering when an article appeared questioning UA’s high percentage of OOS students. A few thoughts come to mind.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>The state is getting even better results for its financial investment in UA. In-state students are still being educated in amounts proportional to state funding, inflation considered.</p></li>
<li><p>As the State of Alabama relies heavily on sales tax revenue and has historically low levels of alcohol consumption, OOS students, many of whom do not vote in Alabama, provide a lot of needed tax revenue by purchasing items in Alabama, some of which, particularly alcohol and tobacco, are heavily taxed.</p></li>
<li><p>In addition to UA, the State of Alabama has other schools to educate the in-state population. similar to how UC San Francisco focuses on offering graduate courses in health and biomedical sciences, UA focuses on educating high stats students in fields deemed very important by its board of trustees. As UA doesn’t place many restrictions on who can apply, some people will apply who don’t meet the academic standards and be denied admission.</p></li>
<li><p>Alabama does not have a rapidly increasing number of high school graduates who would qualify to attend UA unless UA lowered its admissions standards. This is the official reason for the increase in OOS students.</p></li>
<li><p>While UA meets the requirements set by the state, it’s free to pursue other goals such as becoming a higher ranked school. To become a higher ranked school, UA’s grads need to venture out beyond Alabama and nearby states and become successful. </p></li>
<li><p>Much of UA’s growth has been financed through federal and private funding which could easily go to other states.</p></li>
<li><p>Many jurisdictions become successful by attracting investment from other jurisdictions. UA is operated by the State of Alabama, which is why university vehicles have state rather than county, municipal, tribal, or some other exempt license plate. Much like Monaco, Andorra, the Isle of Man, and many Caribbean nations, Alabama can be very successful by offering services other jurisdictions can’t or won’t offer, such as lots of land, a low cost of living, and a fast permitting process. As a result of its growth and high level of federal and private funding, UA is able to offer high quality facilities with generous financial support and less red tape than many of the more highly ranked universities. Top ranked professors and OOS students are flocking to UA even if it the funding package isn’t as generous for them as it is for others. For example, a student from Texas who wasn’t admitted to UT due to the Top 10% rule but still wants the experience of a Southern state flagship might decide that paying full freight at UA is the best option for them. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Roll Tide everyone!</p>

<p>Roll Tide SEA_tide. It’s good to see you back again. You always have such good information and are generous to share it with us. I hope things are going well with you.</p>

<p>Loved hearing all the recent CC messages. SEA_tide and mom2collegekids make great points in all the dialog throughout this thread. Praying and appreciate prayers for all parents looking for jobs/better jobs, those selling any real estate, those struggling with any health issues. DD at UAB is waiting on an Air Force health waiver from a high school illness (resolved), so she can continue Air Force ROTC on her way to being a nurse and nurse practitioner. I hope to re-enter the job market now that I have regained my health. Hope everyone has a wonderful 2014, overcoming every bump along the way!</p>