Alabama Action Abroad Interest Meeting

<p>In case anyone is interested. </p>

<p>For 2012, there will be three trips this upcoming May (instead of one trip as was done this past May) – Peru, Costa Rica (with Dr. Sharpe) and Belize.</p>

<p>Alabama Action Abroad Interest Meeting
Time: Tuesday, 27 September 2011 18:00</p>

<p>Thank you. I have passed this along to my daughter.</p>

<p>Is there a link for that? Do we know what average costs have been?</p>

<p>I know there is a facebook “event” re the meeting but I dont think I can link it here so that it would work. </p>

<p>The costs for last year to Costa Rica (a 10 day trip) was about $1600 – don’t quote me, though. I dont know the costs for this year – it probably depends on the number of students attending ,etc.</p>

<p>Your student will probably get the “link” --among other info-- when she/he goes to next week’s meeting though . . .and I know there are other “info” meetings planned. there is another in early October.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Glad to hear this since D has class during the one next week.</p>

<p><a href=“Redirecting...”>Redirecting...;

<p>Besides next week’s meeting, the next one is October 10 at 6 pm, same location</p>

<p>I see they get honor credit, I assume 1? Does it count for IHP?</p>

<p>Could someone tell me more about this program / opportunity?</p>

<p>Have your child go to the meeting as I dont know all the details for sure. My daughter is in IHP and she got honors credit (You can take as a 3 unit class that you take to in the spring that culminates in the trip). </p>

<p>We allowed her to go on the trip last year ( and paid the additional costs) since she was a presidential scholar and we were already saving on the tuition.</p>

<p>For the 10 day CR trip this past May , I think about 13 kids went. Was a GREAT way to know to know other kids (many OOS) – and also get to know Dr Sharpe better (who now, Kari adores!). Only downer was that since classes were cancelled early due to the tornedo /hurricane, poor dd had to stay on campus for that week with no electricity, etc. (at first, she wanted to skip the trip and just go home).</p>

<p>Dr Sharpe will be going on the CR trip again this upcoming May.<br>
The other two trips planned are Belize and Peru. Daughter Kari will be one of the student leaders for either CR or Peru. The trip takes place 2-3 days after finals end.</p>

<p>Hey y’all! My name is Kari (momoffour’s daughter) and I’m one of the student leaders for this upcoming Alabama Action Abroad. If you have any questions regarding this trip, feel free to message me or just reply to this thread.</p>

<p>I’m in both UHP and IHP, but members of every honors program need 18 honors units. This class can be taken for either 1 or 3, depending on the space in one’s schedule. It also counts as a humanity, which I know a lot of people have trouble fitting into their schedule, makin this trip both incredibly fun and extremely beneficial.</p>

<p>The structure of the course is a class during Spring 2012. The tentative time is on Wednesdays from 3:00-4:30, but that’s subject to change. It will be a weekly class run by the student leaders (and with any grading done by the faculty advisor) that culminates in an international trip lasting from 10 days to 2 weeks. The trip is right in the beginning of the summer. For example, the last fridays end on May 4, and we are thinking of driving to Atlanta as a group together on May 6th.</p>

<p>The price is tentative right now, as pricing of air flights are subject to change, but all three trips should be approximately 1600 or 1700 dollars in cost. As a side note, the countries have changed since I last talked to my mom about this. I’m leading the trip to Costa Rica, and we are also traveling to Belize (an English speaking country, so don’t let the language barrier stop your child from applying!!) and either Honduras or Ecuador. The price for Peru would have been about $800 more than any of the other trips.</p>

<p>I’m not positive that Dr. Sharpe is going on a trip again, but we hope to get him to say that he’ll come back to Costa Rica this summer! He loved his experience and mentioned wanting to come back “if we’ll have him,” so hopefully it will work out!</p>

<p>I’m not sure if that explained everything. DEFINITELY have your child go to one of the two information meetings (9/27 or 10/10) at 6 pm in Gordon Palmer 234. Feel free to ask if you have any questions!</p>

<p>Is there a language requirement to Alabama Action Abroad? S is currently taking German 201 as a freshman but has had spanish and portuguese in high school. When he first heard about the Costa Rica trip during his college visit last year, that was on his list of what he wanted to do at UA.</p>

<p>The language requirement is the completion of SP 102 by the end of spring semester (or the equivalent, such as SP 103 or an equivalent number of years in high school). In addition, there is an English speaking alternative, Belize.</p>

<p>Any trips like this planned for this summer?</p>

<p>And while we are on the subject for travel abroad, does anyone know when the UA in Oxford trip will become available?</p>

<p>Yes, I know that they are planning trips for this upcoming summer 2013. My daughter Kari is one of the student leaders – I will ask her if there are any meetings coming up and try to port info here (or get her to post).</p>

<p>Hi MomOfFour</p>

<p>My son really enjoyed spending time with your D in Costa Rica! That was a great trip!</p>

<p>Thanks momof4! I know there was an Alabama Action Abroad meeting last week but D had to miss it because of a band performance. She has emailed Lauren Scoggan to get more info. but has not heard back from her. D is very interested in finding out more about this summer’s trip.</p>

<p>This is the total approximate cost, including plane ticket, tuition, food, everything?</p>

<p>Can you only sign up for this if you did Alabama Action/Outdoor Action in the past? Or can any Honors/IHP student sign up?</p>

<p>Just saw this and D knew nothing about it. She would love to do this.
Thanks-</p>

<p>Since the two informational meetings have passed - where would my son go to discuss the Belize trip with someone? Especially as there might be a class component that he would need to sign up for spring semester.</p>