Alabama Action

<p>Can anyone explain to me some of the details of Alabama Action? I’ve read the website, but I’d like some more insight. Also, when would we be able to sign up?</p>

<p>Do you have specific questions?</p>

<p>Spoke with the honors college about Alabama Action and Outdoor Action last week. They are still finalizing this years’ programs and are also taking the applications online this year. Both should be open for registration in the near future, but there was no more specific date than that.</p>

<p>There are many older threads on this subject if you search.</p>

<p>Alabama Action is a class (one credit) that will take place about one week before the fall semester begins. It involves some reading, some writing of journal type essays and a report, and community service. It will take place outside in August, so it will be hot. It is a great way to connect with classmates and the community.</p>

<p>Outdoor Action question – Do the students camp out or sleep in the dorms each night?</p>

<p>And does Outdoor action count as one credit also?</p>

<p>Longhaul, the students stay in dorms at night and it is a 1 credit hour HONORS credit. DS will be a student leader for his 3rd year this fall. That’s how much he LOVED OA his freshman year!</p>

<p>I think if you have an opportunity to do either one, you should. You get to move in early which is a bonus and you meet students, and hopefully become great friends with many of them. My DD loved it and her best friends are those that she met at A.A.</p>

<p>^^ Based on my D’s experience with OA, I would concur!</p>

<p>They sleep in dorms as well as have activities on campus each night.</p>

<p>They actually move in to their own dorm space early and so it really is great esp if their rooomies are also participating. I think it is even of greater benefit to OOS students who want to immerse in the community early…</p>

<p>I strongly recommend AA or OA. My son is still friends with many people he met that week. He was also able to get aquainted with the campus and local area before the crowds arrived. Moving in early is definitely a perk. While my S was in AA, one of his roommates was in OA. They didn’t see much of each other during the day, but it was nice having someone else in the suite with him at night. The evening activites were fun…campus scavenger hunt, karaoke night, dinner out on the town, game night, etc…</p>