Alabama Dance Department

<p>Can anyone provide information about Alabama’s dance department? What is its primary focus/strength? Must dance minors audition? What is the quality of classes available for non-dance majors? Are dance minors permitted to perform in any ensemble groups? Basically, what would my daughter’s experience be like if she chose to minor in dance? Thanks for any information you can provide.</p>

<p>Just checked with my daughter who auditioned for the major this spring. There is no minor in Dance, only the major. The Dance major does require that you have a minor as well. So for my daughter she will have a double major in Religious Studies (already declared) and Dance with a minor in the Blount Undergraduate Initiative (already declared.) There are only 2 or 3 dance classes that are open to non-majors. You have to choose a primary technique and a secondary technique from ballet - Jazz - modern. She doesn’t have a sense of what the department is best known for but her primary will be jazz because it’s what she loves, secondary ballet because that what she’s studied for many years.</p>

<p>Do you know what the classes are that are available to non majors?</p>

<p>Both fall semester World Dance and spring semester World Dance-Hip Hop are available to non-majors. My daughter was also going to waive into Ballet after an interview with one of the professors but she decided against that route and opted to simply begin classes this fall, after she was actually admitted to the major through an audition.<br>
She did mention me that some women in her World Dance class were able to audit a dance class before they were admitted to the major (no credit.)</p>

<p>Thanks for info. If you don’t mind my asking, did your daughter enter with a lot of AP credit? Is that how she is able to double major? Will it take her longer than 4 years? Do most dance majors double major? Thanks again.</p>

<p>I don’t know the quality of the dance program, but I found this interesting. UA is one of the 5 locations for the American Ballet Theater summer programs. </p>

<p>[ABT:</a> Education and Training](<a href=“http://www.abt.org/education/sites.asp]ABT:”>http://www.abt.org/education/sites.asp)</p>

<p>I found this out when I got 4 inquiries for renting my condo for the same 3 weeks.</p>

<p>Yes my daughter actually participated in the ABT program at Alabama a couple of years ago. It was our first introduction to the physical beauty of the campus. She also met many of the dance majors who worked as “counselors” for the three week intensive. Overall, a very positive experience.</p>