Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones has won the 2011 Wuerffel Trophy

<p>Who says football players are dumb? Barrett also plays the violin. His younger brother, Harrison, also a smart young man, also plays for the Tide. </p>

<p>TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - **Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones has won the 2011 Wuerffel Trophy. **</p>

<p>The annual accolade is awarded to a "Football Bowl Subdivision player that best combines exemplary community service with academic and athletic achievement. </p>

<p>The award is named in honor of 1996 Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel (Florida).</p>

<p>Jones was presented with the award Monday from Wuerffel via conference call. </p>

<p>“I’m very honored,” Jones said in a press release. “It means a lot. I’ve read a little bit about this award and I’m very blessed and honored to be selected.” </p>

<p>Jones was recognized for graduating in August with a 4.0 GPA [degree in Accounting - graduated in 3 years], his mission work in Haiti and his play as Alabama’s most versatile offensive line capable of starting all five positions. Jones also was recognized for his efforts in the wake of the April 27 tornado.</p>

<p>“Personally, I think community service and things of that nature are things I put very high on that list,” Jones said. “I really enjoy doing mission work, in Haiti, especially the last few years. I think that’s something my parents instilled in me.”</p>

<p>Other finalists included Matt Barkley (USC), Robert Griffin III (Baylor), Chandler Harnish (Northern Illinois), Kirk Cousins (Michigan State), Emmanuel Acho (Texas), Cody Wilson (Central Michigan), Dawson Zimmerman (Clemson), Dustin Hopkins (Florida State), Drew Butler (Georgia), Stuart Hines (Kentucky), Ben Buchanan (Ohio State) and Gilbert “Chaz” Hine (South Florida). Jones also joins an impressive group of previous winners, including last year’s recipient </p>

<p>The formal presentation of the award is Feb. 17 at the 43rd annual All Sports Association Awards Dinner in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. </p>

<p>“Barrett’s about as fine a young man as I’ve ever had the opportunity to coach,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said, “so I’m excited about it and pleased and I know he will be too.”</p>