Alabama or UT Knoxville

<p>I have custodial parents in each state allowing me to receive in state tuition in both states
Tennessee would be cheaper because of Lottery Scholarships here, but Alabama has the degree program I want (It isn’t offered at UTK)
So please give an unbiased opinion on where to go even though this is an Alabama forum and you hate Rocky Top</p>

<p>The Tennessee campus is small (one of the smallest in the SEC) and pretty crowded. If you like green space, go to Bama.</p>

<p>DS,had to make the same decision last year. What helped him decide was a visit to both campuses.
He ultimately decided to attend UA (Presidential+ Departmental Scholarships) even if UTK was less expensive.
He liked the “can do” attitude of the professors that he met at UA vs. the “…you will never be able to do a double major in ECE/Physics in 4 years” at UTK.
He also liked the campus and dorms more at UA.
By the way, DS is on track to do the double major in 4 years at UA.</p>

<p>I don’t know why anyone would go to a school that doesn’t offer their major field of study.</p>

<p>Bama is gorgeous, UT is, well, UGLY…and that’s not just a Bama fan saying that…that’s what pretty much many people say. </p>

<p>What is your intended major?</p>

<p>What are your stats? Do you qualify for any scholarships at Bama?</p>

<p>In another thread you mention that you’re a rising junior, but not happy with your ACT scores. Study and retake…and also take the SAT.</p>

<p>If it was ME going, I’d choose UTK - but only because I’d be minutes away from my beloved NRDMOM. There is no other reason on the face of the planet to choose UTK over UA.</p>

<p>Thank yall for responses</p>

<p>Howton, as someone who has attended both schools (UTK for a summer program and UA for college), I can say that both are amazing and it really depends on your personal values as to whether you might choose one over the other. I do like UA’s campus better, but UT’s is nothing to sneeze at. Really though, you’re not going to college for scenery. If UA offers the program you want and UT doesn’t, it seems simple to me. Having said that, I originally applied to all of my schools as a Biomedical Engineering major (which UT offers and UA doesn’t). The differences for me were how much the college invested in me/seemed to want me (UA hands down over any school, although Lipscomb was persistent), the ease with which scholarships were handled (National Merit at Bama, vs. a smattering of scholarships including the HOPE which didn’t quite cover expenses at UT), the strength of the Honors College (I can’t speak much for UT’s, but ours is amazing!), the Computer-Based Honors Program (a great opportunity for me), and some superficial things like housing, scenery, and football. I personally experienced a warmth from UA’s students, faculty, and staff that wasn’t quite matched anywhere else. I saw lots of opportunities blooming before me, and now as a sophomore in Chemical Engineering and Honors College leadership, I’m seizing them. But if you see similar opportunities at UT, well, that’s your story to write. If you want a more in-depth comparison of my time spent as a student on both campuses, feel free to message me! :)</p>

<p>I have kids at both schools and have had vastly different experiences. You may find this thread useful.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1449297-ua-vs-utk.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1449297-ua-vs-utk.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Really though, you’re not going to college for scenery</p>

<p>True…but attractive surroundings to play into one’s morale.</p>

<p>Thanks again for responses</p>