Alabama or UT

Hi y’all so I got an automatic transfer option at UT and trying to decide to go there or to Alabama. I want to study marketing and I know UT has one of the best in the country but, I did not get into the business school. I did get into the business school at Alabama but, going that far away and the lack of rankings and prestige has me a tad worried also Tuscaloosa compared to Austin is pretty hard to compare. I would like to live in Austin one day also and hope to get my MBA here. Any thoughts? Advice?
-Lost Senior

I have two kids who are going/went to Alabama and they loved it. However, for you, my opinion is go to Austin. Not because of the rankings (UA has a wonderful business school) but because you would like to work and live in Austin after graduation. Going to UT will definitely help you find a job in the area. I have never been to Austin, but from what I have heard it is definitely different than Tuscaloosa - Tuscaloosa is more of a suburb than a city.

How hard is it to get into the business school once you’re a UT student, and how long would you have to wait to apply again? If you want to study marketing and can only do that through the business school, then going to UT only makes sense if you’re extremely confident in your ability to get in relatively quickly after you start school. Are you a transfer student (you mention an automatic transfer option)? If so, getting into the business school very quickly is even more imperative.

@kjcphmom Yeah I totally understand that. When I visited Tuscaloosa I didn’t get much time to really explore the town. We mostly stayed by the university. @“beth’s mom” it’s pretty difficult but, I am not totally headset on marketing. I could easily go for a liberal arts degree and then go for my MBA.

You’ll be a rising junior, so it sounds like you couldn’t just transfer into the Bschool at UT. If you were a frosh, that would be different. But as a junior, they’re saying that you don’t qualify.

What are your parents saying about paying for Alabama?

Alabama has a very good Bschool, so you shouldn’t worry about that.