Alabama Sorority Recruitment GPA Requirements

I have a Junior Girl who is looking at several schools including University of Alabama. She has a high act score but an average gpa (as of junior year). 3.6 weighted, 3.4 unweighted. I have heard that Alabama recruitment will be extremely difficult unless you have a very high GPA (minimum of 3.5 unweighted). The sorority documents list 3.0. Can anyone provide perspective on this? Sorority recruitment is important to my daughter so I want to make sure that I have all the facts as we are selecting schools. If a number of sororities would already cut her just based on GPA, I would just want her to take this into consideration. She is also out of state.

That’s not true. What IS true is that some of the sororities have higher minimums than 3.0, but that also depends on other factors, too, such as extracurriculars, legacy status, friends currently in the sorority, personal recommendations from alumnae of that group etc. I’ve seen a chapter known for its high grade standing take a PNM with under a 3.0 because she had a couple of close friends in the chapter. Really anything above a 3.0 is great, anything above a 3.3 will qualify her for the pickiest chapters. No worries!