Alabama's Testing Policy

Hi, I am an incoming high school senior and I had a question about Alabama’s scoring policy. As a reference I live in NC, have a 4.55 weighted and 3.85 unweighted GPA, a 29 on the ACT, and have taken 2 AP’s (got a 3 on both) and I’m taking 4 this upcoming year.

I don’t feel super confident with my 29 and am planning on taking it again in Sept. Can I submit my application and the 29 and then submit my new ACT score later on in Sept?

Also hypothetically say that I get accepted with my 29 and the cutoff for the honors college is 30, which I get on the Sept ACT. How would I receive the application for the honors college and how would that change my scholarship opportunities.

(Someone can correct me where I’m wrong…)

Yes you can apply and keep testing. I doubt a 29 ACT would get in your way given your GPA, but if it did they’d be happy to receive any new scores.

As I understand it, you can keep submitting test scores through at least December (the initial scholarship deadline) for the automatic merit scholarships.

The application for the Honors college is accessible after you complete the initial application. You could wait for your Sept scores and do the Honors app then. (I’m unfamiliar with the Honors college requirements.)

I copied and pasted this from the Alabama website. The scholarships below are for out of state students.

First time freshmen who meet the December 15 scholarship deadline, have a qualifying score on the ACT or SAT and have at least a 3.5 cumulative high school GPA through the junior year will be eligible for the following merit-based scholarships:
Foundation in Excellence Scholar

A student with a 29 ACT or 1350-1380 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be named a Foundation in Excellence Scholar and will receive $52,000 over four years ($13,000 per year).

UA Scholar

A student with a 30-32 ACT or 1390-1480 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA, he or she will be named a UA Scholar and will receive $76,000 over four years ($19,000 per year).

Presidential Scholar

A student with a 33-36 ACT or 1490-1600 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive $100,000 over four years ($25,000 per year). Students graduating with remaining scholarship semester(s) may use these monies toward graduate school and/or law school study at UA.

And here’s the scholarship website: https://scholarships.ua.edu/types/