Aleks

<p>Son has Bs and As in all math since sophomore in HS, but VT still wants him to take the ALEKS online placement test before taking Calculus 1205. According to VT this is the first year they run this test for incoming freshman, so if you are going to go into any engineering, sciences or any technical be ready to take the test or they will not place you at Calc 1205 at orientation.</p>

<p>I had to take a placement test two years ago since I was using AP credit for Calc I, but that was after we were already on campus. Can they take the test multiple times?</p>

<p>Sunnydad,
How did you hear that your son needed to take this exam? I have not received any e-mail or snail-mail regarding a math placement test. Do you think I could be exempt from taking the exam having taken Calc BC in high school?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>you are probably be exempt from taking it..i am the son sunnydad is talking about...i only went up to precalc in highschool</p>

<p>Not necessarily. Like I said, I had to take a placement test BECAUSE I was using an AP credit for math. Theres probably still some test required, whether it's this one or not. Make sure you check with your advisor. And math professor, since freshman advisors at Tech are absolutely horrible.</p>

<p>havent posted in a long whille, but I have heard nothing about placement tests. how were you notified brasilisnumba1? I took calc in high school, really, really, really dont want to take a placement test. Its funny cuz im horrible at precalc bull crap like matrices and random stuff like that, but calc is so easy for me. So i would prob only test into precalc, which would suck</p>

<p>O and if it makes a difference im in engineering and the honors program. Anyone else also doing both?</p>

<p>Apparently you can go into the Hokie Spa site, then towards the bottom there's a link to "view general student information". once in there, just select the term (fall semester 2008) which will take you to general student information. THEN... at the top should be a link for orientation information (assuming you signed up already), and that will give you a bunch of info as to sat scores, and calculated math gpa. This page also tells you what, if any, English classes you can skip right off the bat, and which one you're recommended to take.</p>

<h1>so, basically it looks like they take your sat scores, combine them with your grades in your high school courses, and come up with a subject grade/gpa, which can then be used to place you in an appropriate level.</h1>

<p>^Not mine, took it off of facebook.</p>

<h1>Some interesting information there. My MATH Readiness Score is "Contact Jessica Schmale...: Although on a good note I can go straight to ENGL 1106. It also says I haven't taken high school calc.</h1>

<p>Got an email saying "The reason it does not show that you took high school calculus is due to the fact that it was not 'AP' Calculus."" It also says I won't need to take the placement test.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Got an email saying "The reason it does not show that you took high school calculus is due to the fact that it was not 'AP' Calculus."" It also says I won't need to take the placement test.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Now this worries me because I took AP calculus AB and AP calculus BC... yet it says that I did not take high school calculus... The weird thing about my school however is that AP Calculus AB is called AP Calculus and AP Calculus BC is called Advanced AP Calculus...</p>

<p>I sent her a long winded e-mail regarding that and the rest of the page, then realized she is the calculus readiness coordinator, not the placement coordinator (or what-not)... whoops!</p>

<p>Mine says ENGL 1204H, and that it is automatically assigned as my english class is that good? Where does it say if you wont have to take the placement test for math?</p>

<p>I think that that english class counts as the first and second semester, so you only have to take one. At least that's how it was a couple years ago. It's a bit more intensive (especially in the writing) but being able to not have to take the other class is probably worth it. Check up on if it fulfills the two semesters still.</p>

<p>ENGL H1204: HONORS FRESHMAN ENGLISH</p>

<pre><code>Introduction to analytical, critical, and interpretive writing and reading at an advanced level and accelerated pace for students whose test scores and high school work indicate readiness for the Honors level of complexity, responsibility, and initiative; in a single semester, reviews the work of 1105 and focuses on the work of 1106 at the Honors level. Placement by the English Department required. (3H,3C)
</code></pre>

<p>from
Page</a> Title | Department of English | Virginia Tech</p>