Algebra 2 Over the Summer?

Hi!

I am a current homeschooled 8th Grader taking Honors Geometry (I have a 95), but I want to take as many AP and college classes in high school as possible. I want to complete Honors Algebra 2 over the summer so I can take Honors Precalculus during my freshman year. I’ve heard that Algebra 2 is fairly easy compared to other math courses, but I want to make sure that I will be well prepared for Honors Precalculus. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find online courses that will give me credit? I will be traveling so I won’t have much availability for synchronous work. Also, does anyone think that a textbook will be enough? I was looking at the McDougal Littel books since I have heard they explain the topics well.

Thank you!

Why? Just why? It sounds like you want to take APs for the sake of taking APs. One more AP class will not make a difference in college acceptances. You are already advanced in math. You aren’t saying you want to take more math because you love math and can’t get enough of it. You say you want to do it to take more APs. Bottom line - I think this is a bad idea. It doesn’t matter how hard Algebra 2 is. Do something fun with your summer.

4 Likes

Don’t lose out on better experiences this summer over taking an extra AP class, it’s really not that worth it. Just do some engineering or math related camps, even humanities, and try to find out what you really like so you can focus on that

3 Likes

My kids are homeschooled. I don’t know of a way to do Algebra 2 over the summer that is through an online provider and not just self study.

My kids did Algebra 2 and Geometry during their freshman year (parent taught/independent study). Then, they did Pre-calculus with Trigonometry the same way during their sophomore year; AP Calc AB during junior year, through an online provider; and Calculus 2 and Calculus 3 through dual enrollment their senior year.

If you are hoping to get to a higher level of math during high school, for instance if you want to take a Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, you have a couple of options. (I would really only recommend this if you absolutely love and are passionate about math, and want to pursue a major in either math or some thing that uses lots of math. Basically, I would only recommend doing this if you can’t NOT do it because you love it so much.)

The simpler path is to do this:
Freshman year – Algebra 2
Sophomore year – pre-calculus/trigonometry.
Junior year – EITHER AP Calc BC OR dual enrollment Calculus 1 and Calculus 2
Senior year – dual enrollment Calculus 3 and Differential Equations

Another (less traditional) path would be:
Freshman year — Self study Algebra 2 and Precalculus
Sophomore year – EITHER AP Calc BC OR dual enrollment Calculus 1 and Calculus 2
Junior year – dual enrollment Calculus 3 and Differential Equations
Senior year — Linear Algebra, other higher math (or no math second semester)

Personally, I think this second option is suboptimal, unless as I said above you just absolutely love math and are driven to learn it because it makes you so happy. Otherwise, the progression (which has you finish high school with Calculus 3 or DifEq through dual enrollment) is more than sufficient.

1 Like