Already Submitted But ChanceMe anyways to some southern schools and otherwise!

Demographics

• US domestic
  • State/Location of residency: OH
  • Type of high school: Top 100 public (small, city), 70-90 per class
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): Male
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): n/a

Intended Major(s): BME/Biochemistry

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores:

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.95 (guess, school doesn’t do this)
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.48
  • Class Rank: n/a (likely top 5)
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 35 ACT (33 math, 36 science, 35 english, 35 reading). No superscore

Coursework

(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s)):

APs: (10 taken 15 offered) APUSH – 5, APGOPO – 5, Ap stats – 4, Ap CSP – 4, AP Bio – 4, Ap Chem – 3, Ap Calc Ab/Bc – Now, Ap Physics 1 – Now, Ap Physics 2 – Now, Ap Euro – Now

Dual Enrollment: (3 taken) Comp 101, Business Writing, Scientific Writing @ accredited 4 yr university. ← As in all

Latin level 1+2

Spanish level 1-3

All honors classes available

Awards: Commended Scholar, Melvin Scholar, National Honors Society President, 4xAcademic all State, 3x All State. Top 20 in state XC, Top 8 + top 3 in state for two track events. 3x All-conference XC, 3x all-conference track, 3x Superior at state science fair

Extracurriculars:

Research | Co-Author; Lead Researcher on USDA funded project as well as worked with local branch | 6 hr/wk 25 wk/yr 10-12 | Published research as co-author. Left out name and subject for anonymity

Athletics | Cross-country Captain 11-12 | 9-12th varsity | 2x Team/Individual state qualifier | team place top 3 in state | 5k high 19 9th to high 15 12th | Practice 70 miles per week | 14 hr/wk 22 wk/yr

Athletics | Track Captain 11th | 10-12th varsity | Team/Individual state qualifier | Relay place top 3 in state + School record | Top 8/Podium at state in individual event | Practice 60 miles per week | Nike Indoor nationals Qualifier | 13 hr/wk 28 wk/yr

Student government | 9 & 10 Class Pres/11 Senator/12 Sergeant-at-Arms | As Chair of Service & Fundraising Com. raised 2k+ for local charities| Planned school functions as well as met with board to discuss changes | 3 hr/wk 32 wk/yr

Speech and debate/Model Un | 9-12th | 350+ NSDA points | 3x state qualifier | 4 hr/wk 16 wk/yr

Quiz Bowl | 9th JV 10-12th Varsity 11/12 Captain | #2 Scorer Varsity QB team | 3X Team Small School Natl Championship Tournament qualifier | Beat defending NAQT SSNCT Natl Champs at XYZ tournament | 3.5 hr/wk 24 wk/yr

Science Olympiad | 9-12th Varsity | Placed top 6 in 5 events at regionals | State Qualifier

Founding member of * school * tutoring program and member of peer tutoring program | 9-12th | I mentor underclassmen in all subjects & organizational skillsI teach SLA sessions on various subjects | 3 hr/wk

Religious | Mentor/Co-leader | Member of local Church and volunteer with outreach ministries | co-leader of local YoungLife | 11 hr/wk 50 wk/yr

Paid work | Assisted in the setup, operation & cleanup of multiple wedding ceremonies & receptions a week of 50 to over 200 guests | 8 hr/wk 40 wk/yr

Left out some information for anonymity

Essays/LORs/Other

3 teacher recommendations + 1 outside:

History teacher: really amazing writer and set up meetings to discuss what he was going to put in them. Only teacher I had in Junior high and as an upperclassman. Probably 9/10

Science teacher: Had 4 years for various classes, also co-coach of XC team. Got to see struggles with various research professors. 8/10

Math teacher: Had 2 years for various classes. Runs Quiz Bowl and got to write about leadership in that club. 7.5/10

XC/Track Coach: Coach from 8th-12th grade. Spent more time with him than any teacher. Able to show leadership and growth. 9/10.

I am very self-critical of my essays but others have said they’re good so will not comment here.

Cost Constraints / Budget

n/a

Schools

(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety:
    • Miami Ohio (EA/Accepted)
    • Purdue (EA)
  • Match
    • Hillsdale (RD/Accepted)
    • URichmond (EA)
    • Wake Forest (RD)
    • Washington & Lee (RD)
    • William and Mary (RD)
    • Case western (EA/Accepted)
  • Reach
    • Vanderbilt (RD)
    • Duke (RD)
    • WashU (RD)
    • CMU (RD)
    • UVA (EA)

Say whatever and be critical as you want. Doing it more for fun than anything because I have submitted already. I know the chance is little to none for reaches as well. I just wanted to see what others thought. Not worried about any of them, would be happy at all, just looking to see what others think.

You’ve got a great resume and should have a fair shot at any on your list. Your reaches are possible, but they are hard admits even for those with stats like yours. UVa may be more attainable than the others. Your list overlaps with my son’s, so fingers crossed for both of you! I’m a William and Mary and a UVa alum. Happy to answer any questions about those if they come up.

3 Likes

If you are already admitted to some of your match schools, and they are certainly affordable, move them to the safety category.

1 Like

If you are already admitted to some of your match schools, and they are certainly affordable, move them to the safety category.

Awesome, thank you!

You are already in at some very good universities. I think that you have a very good list. I think that you have a chance at your reaches, although they are reaches.

Assuming that your current acceptances are affordable, I think that you are doing very well.

3 Likes

I love seeing your list and you look like an amazing young man. Congratulations on many incredible accomplishments! I hope you will share your results! I have an S24 with a similar profile to you (also XC and track Captain, student government, similar stats) who is likely interested in most of your “match” schools. I hope you get in everywhere!

Did you look at running D3? If you are sub 16 you can be a recruited athlete at W&L, Emory, many other schools. My son does not want to continue running in college so I understand if you don’t either, but you are good enough.

Best of luck to you! I will be looking forward to your results!

1 Like

Congratulations on your accomplishments to date! I also think you have a good, balanced list, and you have a reasonable shot at your reaches.

It is impossible to Chance most of these schools as we don’t know their institutional priorities or your complete application. As an anecdote only, my D21 with a similar profile had overlap with your list. She was accepted to all of the safeties/matches, accepted to one reach, waitlisted at two reaches, rejected by the others. She currently attends one of your match schools as a biochem major (premed intent) and is very happy there.

Best of luck! I hope you will update us! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @southernfemmom I wanted to keep my options open instead of being recruited somewhere. I didn’t love any school enough to apply ED and get recruited, just decided to go a different route.

And yes I will be posting results as well! Thanks for the support.

1 Like

Thanks for the support @DramaMama2021!

If you don’t mind, what reach did she get into and where did she end up attending? If thats too personal I understand. I will update for sure!

1 Like

I don’t mind sharing at all. That’s what CC is all about. :slight_smile:

From your list, she was accepted at UVA (OOS), waitlisted at Vandy.

She is a current sophomore at W&L. Happy to answer any questions.

1 Like

Sounds like you made a great choice to keep your options open. Crossing fingers for a very positive next round of admissions for you and happy you already have some excellent choices!

Purdue update:

Accepted to second choice major (first was engineering second BioChem), email says nothing about honors college. Slightly disappointed didn’t get into first year Engineering, which I was very impressed with when visiting, but cannot be helped.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! Congrats on Purdue, even if it wasn’t your first choice major. It’s very competitive to get into engineering. Thankfully you already have acceptances to some very good schools!

3 Likes

URichmond EA: Acceptance!

Very excited, loved the school and campus even though they don’t necessarily have BME.

4 Likes

Congratulations! Richmond is such a wonderful school! How great to already have fantastic options!

1 Like

Rejected UVA EA

Accepted into William and Mary and Washington and Lee!

7 Likes

Did W&L release RD?

I’d sure like to know too. S23 is waiting.

1 Like

Possibly a Johnson finalist at W&L since all finalists receive “likely letters”.

2 Likes