Alternate Options for French V

Hi, my daughter is a rising Senior and was recently informed that she had to choose between her AP class and French V as both classes were only offered at the same time. She could not do both. While she chose the AP class, she is very disappointed as she really wanted to take French. Not only because of applying to colleges but more importantly because she really enjoys it. I’m also concerned the gap will disadvantage her going into colleges since most liberal arts colleges require a certain level language class to be completed - or two classes. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternate options she can do to maintain her French skills and show colleges she tried to stay with French despite her schools ability to offer an alternative

Something non-credit class? Not sure? I think a matriculated class out of school may be too hard manage with her schedule. Any suggestions are welcome!

Which AP course, and how does it relate to possible academic interests in college? How does French relate to her academic interests in college (e.g. history of the Francophone world, or math with a goal of PhD study)?

In that high school, is French 5 above, below, or about the same as AP level?

Is taking a suitable level French course at a local college possible?

3 Likes

I don’t see this as any type of barrier to admission.
– No college I know of requires foreign language past level 4 so she will be fine in that regard: and
–She can ask her guidance counselor to mention the scheduling conflict in his/her LOR. It is a fairly common occurrence.

I can’t recommend the best way to continue French (perhaps a CC or online class only if her schedule permits – keep in mind that filling out applications will be time consuming) but hopefully others can chime in.

2 Likes

Most selective colleges recommend (not require) that applicants have completed 4 years of a foreign language, so she’s hit that mark – because French IV counts as the fourth year, even if she’s only had three years of French in HS. She could take the equivalent of French V at a local college, or she could self-study for the AP (I don’t necessarily recommend self-study, but it’s an option). She can also make a note on her application (or ask her counselor to do so, which might be more appropriate) indicating that she would have stuck with French if she could have, but there was a conflict. That sort of thing happens all the time. Schedules are limiting, and HS students have to make choices.

Not every LAC requires a foreign language (though they usually do for study abroad in non-English-speaking countries). Those that do require it might require two semesters of a language regardless of level – in other words, your HS credits might bump you up a level or two, but you still have to take two semesters (or whatever the requirement is). There is often a range of possible language placements depending on how many HS courses the student has completed, along with other factors. So, depending on whether a student has had 1 or 2 years, or 5 years plus a qualifying AP score and an immersive experience, or anything in between, there will be a suggested starting place.

In other words, I wouldn’t worry about this too much. It’s unlikely to affect admissions, and it may not even affect the language requirement (depending upon where she attends).

1 Like

I always recommend Concordia Language Villages. Lots of different programs, some for credit.

2 Likes

What will her schedule look like? What majors is she interested in?
Does her HS have a subscription to TV5MONDE? Would the French teacher accept to tutor or offer an independent study?

Perhaps dual enrollment through a local community college?

2 Likes

She’s taking AP History ( World, I think) and 2 other AP classes and Calculus. French 5 and AP French are not the same the AP French is French 5 AP. Because I mentioned to her to take AP French and she thought that might be too much with the other AP classes she’s taking.

Local community college is possible.

1 Like

Thank you! I agree with you, I think she will still be competitive and was hoping her counselor would mention the conflict I not I’m going to recommend she mentions it in the common app under additional information. I’m probably over thinking it. I just hate for her to lose her skills for a whole year and then have to take French in college. It is what it is I guess. Thank you for reinforcing what I was leaning towards.

She could specifically ask her counselor to mention the scheduling conflict.

And be careful not to overload as applications can be time consuming.

There may be other ways to keep up with French that don’t include taking a class for credit (perhaps French TV shows or books, online courses not taken for credit etc.)

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions! It doesn’t need to be for credit. I actually prefer it not to be for credit. More just so she keep maintains her skills in the language. Those are good options. Thank you. I think anything for credit will be too much and is not necessary.

1 Like

Her schedule is pretty loaded with 3 AP classes ( AP History, English Lit, and ) Calculus . Plus applications and HS variety gymnastics in Fall and Club gymnastics at night. So It will be very full this fall. I will look into see if there is a subscription to TV5MONDE. Thank you

Thank you, this looks like an interesting.

1 Like

Thank you, this is helpful and reassuring. You’re speaking to everything running through my mind.

Looks like the AP course is effectively the honors version of French 5. Were there honors French 2-4 courses, and did she choose them?

Is AP world history the AP course that conflicts with regular French 5? How would history and French relate to here intended or possible college majors?

For reading, she can also read news in places like the following:

1 Like