Alumni Network Strength

How useful/helpful are Bama alumni in helping out fellow grads, whether employed or unemployed(mainly unemployed ones)? Could this be considered a strength of the university? Do any alumni in this forum have an opinion on this?

Also, how much of this help would come directly from being part of a fraternity or sorority? Could someone not involved in Greek life still rely on the alumni? Lastly, not to cause any sort of conflict at all, and from someone who’s from the Midwest and not attempting to stereotype or show ignorance: Realistically, would one’s race have any factor at all in these matters?

I’ve appreciated the input from those in this forum and would love to continue collecting input and gaining understanding on this university. Thank you.

Note: As I’ve stated before, chemical &/or materials science engineering, as well as applied mathematics are two areas that I’m interested in, although this question applies to the university at large.

Got a nice PM so just gonna bump this once or twice and then I’ll be done.

Final bump

<<<
How useful/helpful are Bama alumni in helping out fellow grads, whether employed or unemployed(mainly unemployed ones)? Could this be considered a strength of the university? Do any alumni in this forum have an opinion on this?

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

I think that there is only one alum that frequents this forum, and he’s a rather recent grad.

I’ll see what I can find out. My kids didn’t need that so “help” so I don’t personally know.

I know that Bama grads have lifetime access to the UA Career Center.

[QUOTE=""]
Also, how much of this help would come directly from being part of a fraternity or sorority? Could someone not involved in Greek life still rely on the alumni?

[/QUOTE]

I doubt not being Greek would be a hindrance at all.

[QUOTE=""]
someone who's from the Midwest and not attempting to stereotype or show ignorance: Realistically, would one's race have any factor at all in these matters?

[/QUOTE]

Would one’s race be a factor in what? Getting a job? lol…no.

Thanks for the response. And you can ignore the race question, I’m not exactly sure what I was asking either lol.

My husband and I are both alumni and we relish the opportunity to help UA students and grads. Fortunately, we have had the opportunity to help other Bama grads over the years. Greek affiliation and race and hometown don’t matter. It’s a pride in UA that inspires us to help other people who have a shared experience at UA. My husband is an engineer and he participates in the MentorUp program through UA Engineering. He also unofficially mentors young engineers any chance he gets! Roll Tide! I would match UA against any university in the country for alumni support and pride.

I’m a UA alumna. I think the farther you get from Tuscaloosa, the more of a help it might be. As you can imagine, in Alabama, where I live, we UA grads are pretty common. If the hiring person is a UA fan or grad, it might get you a tad more favorable interview time than the Auburn grad. Farther away, you’d be more rare and the interviewer might be more inclined to chat a bit before proceeding with the interview.
As far as being Greek, it can help a little in that the hiring person, if they’re Greek, will know you can work in a group setting and with a team. They would probably be aware that being a major officer in a Greek group can include valuable people, organizing, and business skills. If the hiring person is in the same fraternity/sorority, it might get you a second look, but you’d still have to be fully qualified to get the job.